Legend of Cao Cao Online

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: Legend of Cao Cao Online

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:54 pm

1: The daily login reward, after the initial popup screen, is sent to you through the game's mail. There's a scroll towards the top-right of the screen next to the game's Settings menu that will light up with a red light when you have something to collect. The login reward goes there, so be sure to collect it every day!

2: Yes, there most certainly is such a way. During a Story Mode stage, there'll be a button at the right side of your screen with an arrow to expand its size. When expanded, it has two buttons, "Auto" and "Skip". Auto is on by default, it makes the text progress automatically. Click it to disable it, and you'll need to click manually through all dialogue. The second button, "Skip", will skip past all dialogue in the story scene to get straight to the deployment. Useful if you've already seen a cutscene several times and just want to get into the game!
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:26 am

Thanks, I eventually worked everything out. This game is a massive time sink!
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:30 pm

In a good way, I hope! ;)
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:46 pm

It's a bit of an adjustment phase to being a good thing haha

At the very least, I can see little ways where they tried to avoid the full time-draining experience of other similar games out there through little features and avoidance of certain common pitfalls (like everything having a countdown clock).

I have a question now about the upgrade menu in the commander menu. The in-game notes are a bit simplistic; should I be regularly upgrading their equipment with this feature? Or is it better to replace things as they level up?

Edit: I also just hit level 15 so if there's an SoSZ alliance out there I can join :D
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:51 am

On the equipment upgrading...

For the characters you intend to use and level, yes, you should be upgrading their equipment as you go. Equipment can't be 'replaced', only leveled. Once they reach level 20 (and each multiple of that level), promoting them to the next tier of their class will be impossible if their equipment isn't as upgraded as it can be. Equipment upgrades at each multiple of 7, so to promote past level 20 they'll need level 14 equipment. Promotions don't just let you level up further, they can also enhance base features of your class. A Catapult unit like Liu Ye will hit five enemies in a + symbol once promoted at level 20, for example. A Spearman like Xu Huang will be able to attack an enemy unit two squares away horizontally or vertically once promoted at level 20. At the level 40 promotion, Light Cavalry like Xiahou Dun will be able to attack two squares away like Spearmen, while Heavy Cavalry like Cao Ren and Guan Yu will be able to attack at diagonals.

Now, with that said, you can't level up/upgrade/promote everyone. You won't have the resources. So focus on your best characters primarily. Eventually you'll want to have characters at various levels. Some guys left around level 20 to handle weaker/lower level quests, and level 40, and so on, up to your crème de la crème at the max level. Who that crème de la crème will be is up to you.

(pick Xiahou Mao)
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:08 pm

I have yet to see Xiahou Mao :(

I don't really know what I am doing in terms of actual strategy in this, so I mainly focused on the ranged types (Li Dian/Xiahou Yuan/Liu Ye) and then all my S classes. Cao Cao and Zhou Yu were also promoted, with a few more ready to do so when the relevant events reset.

It is admittedly amusing to put a bunch of mage types in an auto battle and watch the AI go nuts with them. Like the Fourth of July...

I just conquered Xuzhou and am starting to worry that I am going to piss someone off in one of these sieges and get repeatedly attacked for resources, is that a thing that can happen? I kind of barely squeaked out a win with Xiapi...
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:23 am

I've spent a fortune upgrading my defensive units so they are many levels higher than my generals for that very reason :lol:.

I've not logged on in days though! I need to get back into the habit!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:58 am

I actually upgraded a bunch of locusts and convoys (they upgrade from rations), it's probably a stupid way to go about defending my cities but I almost always have a huge surplus of food so whatever.

So if I go to claim a city on the map, I kick someone else out (temporarily I guess) in the process? Considering how random it is, that is kind of messed up. I should unlock better critters than locusts then :twisted:

But I've never received any reports of being attacked. I do collections pretty regularly throughout the day though, and have expanded on the country map fairly slowly I think? Not sure if that has to do with anything. But that is kind of scary if I have to beat other players' defenses to progress through anything haha.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:09 am

The best Spearmen unit also get trained by rations so they are my strongest unit! I guess you'll only face retaliation if that person is still playing! I've only had cities taken from me a handful of times. I think when you conquer a whole region cities can no longer be invaded? That is just theory based on my experience.

I've just logged in after 10 days out and no-one has invaded any of my provinces!

Zyzyfer - the scholars alliance is called: Scholars.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:31 pm

Yeah thanks Sun Fin, I applied as LiuYunDai and haven't logged in or paid attention in a bit. Which is great!! I think they have a great potential model with this gaming system, just need the "buy gold" incentive to be stronger while maintaining the existing game system :)
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games