Legend of Cao Cao Online

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: Legend of Cao Cao Online

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:48 pm

That seven star spear is very useful for the Vermillion Bird in particular, especially if you give it to a Light Cavalry or Spearman unit that has the Phalanx Attack passive (automatically gained at level 40). That will cause them to attack a target once anyone else uses a physical attack on it no matter what range it was from, as long as the target is in their attack range and they haven't acted yet. Then Oppressive Assault will block the counter from hitting. Very strong against Birdie, even considering she has a unique passive that makes those attacks weaker.

I don't know if that's a spear I'd go all-in on and make +12, but it should definitely go to +7. When I'm considering making an item +12, usually I expect it to outright destroy an enemy, so there wouldn't be any counterattacks to consider.

One more note on it, it definitely has Annihilation impacts when combined with First Strike. Zhao Yun is the character who's usually able to do this. Zhao Yun's First Strike passive causes him to initiate an attack first whenever an enemy targets him. This spear, in turn, will cause the enemy's counter to that First Strike to automatically miss. This makes Zhao Yun immune to melee attacks from within his melee range (which expands past level 80 to be a diamond shape, extending two tiles out horizontally and vertically). Zhao Yun is soon to be made stronger as well, with a new passive skill that will allow him to triple attack on his turn (while still keeping First Strike), so the spear will definitely have applications there. It might be worth making +12 if you put it on Zhao Yun for Annihilation and swap it to a Light Cavalry/Spearman for Vermillion Bird.

As for the quests, I don't tend to do a lot of that level of quests, I usually use my tokens to auto-quest the very highest province and leave it at that.
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:22 am

Chiming in on quests, what I was doing at one point was using tokens/expeditions on the quests with the really rare rewards (metal twines). Like I would start at Sizhou and use tokens on the two there, and then start working my way down. I think the last rare twine appears in Jingzhou. Then if I had time I would go and auto quest only the quests which had equipment I need, and ignore the rest.

Now I started buying the energy season pass though, so I run as much as I can on weekdays. Weekends I usually don't bother because even with unlimited energy, you still have to check in on things occasionally and make adjustments, since just throwing 1 or 2 level 99s out there will drain your rations. It is also worth noting that 4 level 40s (no healer) can clear quite a big chunk of the province quests. But yeah usually on weekends I just use my expeditions, maybe a few tokens on the rare metals if I have an excess.

As for levels, nobody important should go past 20/40. I do take governors and commanders for story modes I haven't gotten all the seals on up to 60 over time, usually for story modes or because I heard they were good commanders. I also have a pretty broad roster of level 80 guys. I basically favorite all of my governors/kill squads/unfinished story commanders/unique model commanders, and focus resources on developing them, and totally ignore those I haven't favorited. Keeps things simple on my end.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qin Feng » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:17 pm

I downloaded this game a few days ago and it's actually pretty neat. Unfortunately I have no idea what I'm doing, but it's not bad.
I was surprised to receive so many resources for free in those letters, felt a little bit like cheating
Qin Feng
Assistant

Unread postby Tarrot » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:22 pm

Game just had a server merge, so a lot of rewards are being thrown at players. Trust me, you'll go through your money quickly once you get to the point you begin upgrading your research and equipment. I had the same feeling of cheating, but most players have access to this,

Personal recommendations, follow the Heroic Journey quests to get you settled in the game, or what you need to do. You go through money a lot quicker than food, so if you want to upgrade your city defenses (I have been attacked like 3 times in one month and its easy enough to get my city back), use rations to buy better troops, or use rations for giving out bond to your cities. Even if you can't use the money yet, I'd upgrade your cities to at least 5 (after that point it takes like a month to recoup your investment, if not more).

At the start, recruit everyone because you need the bodies, but get more selective as the game goes on. Your prefect skills (check under the effects tab for your generals) have minor impacts on your cities (and can be improved by assigning more defenders to your city), so that might be a good source for who you want to recruit. I prioritize recruting people who can give me more money, so all my cities gain an extra 10% silver coins than normal. If you have any other questions feel free to ask as it keeps conversation going.

Small annoyance: The chance in server reset times hurt me a good deal. I get home from work about 10:30 at night, an hour and a half before the reset, so I feel I lose out on like an hour and a half or so of clearing stuff in the background unless I put that off until the next day to do. Also, it seems like it bugged the Daily Mission quest if I'm logged in when midnight hits. I can do some low level zone quests in the interim, but I already feel pressed for time with the game and the server reset just exacerbates that for me.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:15 am

There are ways to speed things up if all you want to do is daily missions and nothing more - taking up roughly one hour per day - but there's no doubt about it, at its heart the game can be a huge time sink...
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:15 pm

Excited to see all these new single player stories.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Valshier » Sun May 19, 2019 8:58 pm

I've been playing this game awhile now. I actually joined Xiahou Mao's guild recently.

It has been fun overall but certainly hard to keep with with Asia players after the server merger (for perspective I was maybe top 5% before but now I'm around top 15%). They have been consistently adding new features like Live PVP and some crazy boss events. It is not too bad as F2P vs P2W (leans more toward the former on the spectrum).

If you like all the single player stories there is a lot to enjoy, but only a little over half are translated currently. You do have to put up with some bad translations, but overall it's legible and you can tell what they are trying to say (kind of like watching the RotK 1994 TV show). They recently added a Liu Bang story (formation of Han) that has been translated with 30 missions that has been fun.

It has probably been said, but you can get any commanger without having to play slot machine gatacha. The weapons you get are random and sometimes it is best to see what commanders are best for you after you get your weapons. They are also good about rebalancing old commanders to keep them viable and keep OP ones in check. They did add some commander exclusive weapons recently that make it a little more P2W (they are about 7% stronger on average).

I'll probably keep playing for a good while unless it goes crazy P2W. In a little over a year I've spent about $15 on it, mostly to reward the devs for good updates.

If you decide to give it a try consider coming to our guild (Romancers).
Valshier
Initiate

Unread postby Xu Huang fan » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:13 am

i actually dropped this game after the server merge due to that i couldn't keep up with everyone else, but i had alot of fun with it when i did play it and i loved how it expanded the lore of Legend of Cao Cao.
Xu Huang fan
Langzhong

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:04 am

I was just sinking too much time into it. I'm not good with games like this, I find them all consuming! :lol:
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:42 pm

I'm only focusing on the singleplayer story modes. Looking forward to the translations for the Lubus and things.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Previous

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games