Legend of Cao Cao Online

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: Legend of Cao Cao Online

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:07 am

Still building up to (hopefully) run through Zhang Fei's extreme mode. But even though I hit another roadblock last night, I did have one funny experience.

In the stage where you fight Yan Yan, I basically equipped Zhang Fei with a horse so he could haul butt up to the northwest corner and escape. The problem with that is, I'm guessing that if you clear all the enemies outside of the castle, the castle gate opens and Yan Yan's men all give chase, and you can no longer win this way. I also forgot to equip Ho Gong with any artifacts so he was useless.

I didn't realize the change in battle goals until Zhang Fei was already way up in the corner, and Ho Gong and my healer got popped by the enemy, so basically it was up to Zhang Bao and Jian Yong to somehow mount a comeback. And it was ugly, but they did, thanks to pouches and all...but that's not the funny part.

The funny part is that I somehow three-sealed the mission. :shock:
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:35 am

Isn't one of the seals for Zhang Fei to duel Yan Yan? So how did you manage that?

I three-sealed it too when I just went through that earlier today, even though Zhang Fei's duel of Yan Yan ended the stage prematurely. The premature end apparently still killed all the other enemy units before the finish, so I still got credit for the "Defeat all enemies" seal...

And I finished the Extreme Mode just now, too. As expected, Sima Yi spamming Typhoon is a pain. Be wary of that.
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:41 am

Xiahou Mao wrote:Isn't one of the seals for Zhang Fei to duel Yan Yan? So how did you manage that?

Once a certain number of enemies had been cleared out by Zhang Bao, the few stragglers who stayed in the castle (like Yan Yan) finally marched out as well. Once I realized that Jian Yong and Zhang Bao were about to make me believe in miracles, I had Zhang Fei cautiously tail those two (no pouch and no healer) and make his way back to the castle entrance. Once he got in range, I had him duel Yan Yan. I forgot what happens in the duel, and then was pleasantly surprised when the battle ended (on the final turn) AND I got all three seals.

Does Typhoon not activate pouches? I think everyone in that battle will be level 60 for me, so I was gonna pouch up and hold on tight. I've been more worried about the very final stage, it's a bit panicky to me to try to catch those dang convoys in time.

-----

In other news, Deng Ai is on his long journey to level 80. Meng Da is also tagging along on the journey to 60, although there's no rush in his case. I checked who can participate in Huang Zhong's story (not that it will matter for a while as Huang Zhong himself is level 99 with unlocked gold passives and will bash all of the things) and Meng Da was the most notable new face. There is a decent amount of overlap with Zhang Fei's, actually (hello again, Ho Gong).

Edit: Well I cleared Zhang Fei's extreme mode. There is a special place in hell reserved for whoever designed that Hanzhong extreme mode stage, the BS I had to come up with to eliminate Cao Cao's little gang still hurts my brain. And then they top it off with a regen Zhang Ji and butthole Guo Huai... :x
Last edited by Zyzyfer on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:28 pm

Typhoon activates pouches, the victims just need to survive both hits, as Double Tactics seems to be somewhat wonky with pouches compared to normal double attacks. You might need to take both hits from the Typhoon and then use pouch healing items twice. I bet it would've been rough for my Zhang Fei with his abysmal Wisdom, but because I was gearing him with my best items, he had Diaochan's +12 Elephant Robe, which helps his tactics evasion, reduces tactics damage via one of the built-in abilities, and has the level 12 passive that has a chance of reducing tactics damage by sizably more, so sometimes he only took 1 damage per hit. As it was, with all of those boosts he was still taking as much damage as Wei Yan was using a non-enhanced armour, so it was pretty fortunate I had it!

The final stage was a breeze for me, because I had Sun Qian Rallying. I couldn't catch Cao Xiu even with that, I'd need a rough terrain horse or something, but since I couldn't get the seals on the previous stage due to my level 15 Ma Chao unsurprisingly being unable to handle Sima Yi Typhoons, I wasn't too concerned about that.
Last edited by Xiahou Mao on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:47 pm

I guess I edited my post at the same time you wrote your new one. But yeah I will say, even though I had an Elephant Robe for him, without very high end equipment, even Cao Cao is fully capable of wiping Zhang Fei out with tactics in a snap.

So what I did to beat Cao Cao was have Zhang Fei use the bent bow range expander item (this gives him 3-4 square range instead), someone rally witha scroll, ZF uses the "reach" AOE expansion, scroll rally, chain attack consumable (had more of these than leading), then rally scrolls with the remaining commanders to let ZF get his attacks in. He wiped out everyone but Cao Cao and Pang De doing this, and then Cao Cao nearly wiped ZF out with a tactic! I managed to basically plink Cao Cao to death after that, but only after he wiped out half my team like they were level 1 :evil:

So glad it's over. But if Huang Zhong's story mode has similar ridiculous set-ups, I think I will call it a day with these story modes...
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:54 pm

The Cao Cao stat buffs in that stage gave me a bit of trouble too. Thankfully, the tactics damage reduction on the Elephant Robe helped out. I had Zhang Fei meleeing from range, then moved Wei Yan in to trigger Phalanx Strikes on subsequent turns, after taking out Jia Xu/Sima Yi first.

Double-checking my Elephant Robe, the base effect from just being a +12 armour reduces tactics damage by up to 71, the +6 bonus ability I rolled reduces tactics damage by up to 32, and then the +12 bonus ability has a 20% chance to reduce tactics damage by 110. So it's a perfect storm item to cover the weakness of a character like Zhang Fei, and why I was able to take Cao Cao's tactics hits. I only had three characters who could even survive that far into the stage, Zhang Fei, Wei Yan and Sun Qian. You at least had your whole team apparently able to get up there!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Tarrot » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:58 pm

Can someone help me with why this game won't let me download it? I tried to download it on my computer via Bluestacks4, had to go download the apk, and then when I finally got it installed, it told me I had network errors and wouldn't let me connect. I tried to download it on my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (I rarely use it outside the house so no active net on it) and I couldn't find it in the Google Play store. I found a direct link to the game, and the game says its incompatable with my device even though it has no reason not to be. I want to download it and the game won't let me.

FWIW, I live in Taiwan, but I can't imagine that would prevent me from downloading it. I know there's a server-merge going through, and that might be a cause of some issues, but I can't find anything online about it happening right now.

Also, there is a Chinese version of the game that I can download, but I can't figure out how to change the language settings in that to English.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:38 pm

If you're in Taiwan, then you're expected to play the Taiwanese version which has its own server (for now), which won't have an English translation built-in. There should be a way to get a different .apk file so you can play on the Global server instead, and Zyzyfer should be able to help guide you through that since he uses that method to play on the Global server from Korea. I, unfortunately, can't help with that!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Tarrot » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:37 pm

I have the Global apk, the problem is when I run the game, I get the error "Check Network Status. Your connection is unstable. Attempting to reconnect..." and it doesn't load up. This is only for the Global version, the Chinese version loads fine. I tried running an older version of the game as a test and it finally told me I couldn't download the new version cause of my country. I'm trying to use an app to change my country now but I'm not sure if that'll work if the internal game servers are checking my host country for some reason.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:28 am

All I can guess is that your connection changed in some way that actually made it unstable. Or, not likely but, possibly you have an older apk file that no longer works. I have lots of weird connection issues but I can always connect.

I tried running an older version of the game as a test and it finally told me I couldn't download the new version cause of my country.

Hmm that's normal when your apk file is out of date.

Maybe try to reinstall the latest apk file one more time and see if that works?

-----

As I expected/hoped, I breezed through both of Huang Zhong's story modes with my 99 Huang Zhong. The only mission I didn't three seal is the very last one, I only tried it once and Wang Ping shot at Huang Zhong and got countered and killed, so I couldn't do the duels. When I have some free time I will go back and try to three-seal it for the silly bow you get, but I am just happy that is over with after the nightmare that was Zhang Fei's story mode.

I kind of get the impression that Huang Zhong's extreme mode might be tough if he isn't maxed out. The enemies have high enough levels again, Huang Zhong at 80 might be able to clear but he won't three-seal most of the extreme missions. On one of the last stages (the one where Zhang He ambushes you), I thought my run was done before I remembered Phalanx Strike.

All that said, there is nothing ridiculous like Sima Yi Typhoon spam or Cao Cao murder buffs or Zhang Ji with a pouch while you deal with unfavorable terrain. Also despite his importance in the story, you don't need to build Yan Yan up, I never took him past level 20. He is way less involved with the seal missions in extreme mode so you can toss him in the back.
Last edited by Zyzyfer on Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games