Legend of Cao Cao Online

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: Legend of Cao Cao Online

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:49 pm

You don't have to worry about hitting 99 on the dot with your teams, as a heads up. 'Too cheap' isn't really a problem, if your team is good. The issue is only when a team would be too expensive, and when that happens then you need a replacement.

And running a healer without any passives is a perfectly legitimate strategy, it's what I did for quite some time, until I got Chen Qun. And even then, for one week where I wanted to run two higher cost characters, I had to drop my 99 Chen Qun from my team and slot in a level 80 Sun Qian instead. Sometimes you need to shuffle things around!

Of course, Chen Qun is still great for Trial of the Gates and the new Azure Dragon raid where max cost isn't a concern. ;)
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:30 am

Xiahou Mao wrote:You don't have to worry about hitting 99 on the dot with your teams, as a heads up. 'Too cheap' isn't really a problem, if your team is good. The issue is only when a team would be too expensive, and when that happens then you need a replacement.

And running a healer without any passives is a perfectly legitimate strategy, it's what I did for quite some time, until I got Chen Qun. And even then, for one week where I wanted to run two higher cost characters, I had to drop my 99 Chen Qun from my team and slot in a level 80 Sun Qian instead. Sometimes you need to shuffle things around!

Of course, Chen Qun is still great for Trial of the Gates and the new Azure Dragon raid where max cost isn't a concern. ;)

I was going to bring that up. The new four god raids. I more or less ran my Trial of the Gates team against the first version and totally whooped him. Then it said I should pay gold to do more, so I stopped haha. Obviously it will get harder but it made me feel a little better.

I wasn't actively trying to get 99 on the nose with my team, it just happens to hit 99 perfectly based on my current other mains if I take Man Chong past 80. Someone needs to go up so I get access to those 80+ spells, and I've always got Xun You and Liu He to fall back on if team dynamics change down the line.

Edit: This new Xu Shu story, I thought it was a bug at first because it initially seems to closely mirror his normal story. But although the basics are the same, even on normal it is a fair bit more difficult. After one failed attempt, the third quest seems tricky to three-seal!
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:55 am

My understanding of the Xu Shu story is that it's an alternate retelling, wherein he will side with Zhuge Liang instead of against him. So the early stages might be the same, but the later ones, not so much. Be careful, though, I think Huang Yueying is needed for a later stage, and she's a gold cost unit.

As for the Four Gods, it's one per day unless you pay the extra gold. I'm not going to pay myself either, I'll wait until tomorrow to try the next level. My characters are pretty physical-heavy, so I'm worried I'm going to have issues against the stronger/strongest version, because the Azure Dragon takes half damage from all physical attacks. I overpowered the Minor version anyway and killed it on the second turn after engaging, but that luck won't hold up on the stronger ones!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:34 am

Well I was going to say, the minor version of Azure Dragon basically dealt no damage, I waffled for several turns trying to deal with the side critters (and not having quite as mature of an account as yourself haha), and I don't even think I bothered healing anyone because I was never in any danger. Not denying that it will scale up in difficulty, but I was curious if you had tossed out some gold to progress a bit farther or not.

It's become pretty apparent to me that completing these story events basically gives you a "discount" on a gold-cost character - in this case, Huang Yueying. Of course, you have to power through both modes pretty speedily. The new Xu Shu story starts off with a similar cast to the old one, so those guys are all already at acceptable levels to quest, but compared to the old story's normal mode, it's a lot tougher. I remember you largely ignore the story mode stuff anyway, just commenting in a general sense about them. I think a player has to really devote their efforts to clearing the story mode to collect the event rewards and enjoy that discount...so it may not be worth it for some.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:24 pm

I've done some of the story modes for the discounts attached, I did the Sun Jian one for example with Huang Gai and the Deng Ai one with Wen Yang, but I don't think I can justify Huang Yueying's hefty cost. I don't have the White Crane Fan that would be required to run her effectively in high-level play, and if I did I'd be putting it on Zhuge Liang instead. So this story will be one that I sit out, as I did with Yuan Shao and Sun Ce as well. The Yuan Shao one was really just bad timing, because Tian Feng is a character I do want, but I didn't have the resources to grab him and Wen Chou together.
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:33 am

This is so sad. I don't even have a lot of wins but one of our alliance events this week is to win 350 annihilation battles, and I have twice the number of wins as the #2 player in our alliance (we have 30 wins total right now). Sorry I bailed on Scholars, Ranbir, but the grass is pretty damn brown over here.

So this story will be one that I sit out, as I did with Yuan Shao and Sun Ce as well.

Yep...I have been sitting out all of the stories that require gold cost characters so far. If I have gold to spare down the road and get bored, I'll probably unlock them for fun, but I definitely don't feel like my annihilation team is anywhere close to finalized so it won't be happening anytime soon.

I took on the level 2 Azure Dragon god thinger and managed to win, although it was much uglier than the first level. His spells only tickled at level 1, but even at just level 2, they are potentially quite dangerous. I also had bad luck with my healer getting frozen several turns in a row, might be worth bringing in two for future battles.

Edit: Well I went ahead and trained Xun Yu's INT to 112 and now he tops out with the bonuses at 1175 Wisdom. (And that's with the King Wu fan still, and the story MP regen item that doesn't boost anything.)

What's the scoop, if any, on the new relic items? I read that they can break if you change them between officers a lot?
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:53 am

And I took on the level 3 Azure Dragon and it got quite messy. His offense still started out weak, but grew stronger and stronger the more injured he became, and in the end I scratched out a win with only Hao Zhao and Diaochan left alive, at under 200 HP each. If I'm going to challenge the next level up, I think I'm going to need to set up the custom/optimized team of heavy casters that people recommend...
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:38 am

Free level 7 artifact from among 6 choices. Very hard to choose one, even after reading reviews! I at first expected to pick the deflect armor for Hao Zhao, but others seem really high on the horse (I guess Taishi Ci could use it although he isn't my top person at the moment) and then there is the mental exhaustion armor which I think pairs fantastically with a marine or whatever Xhou Yu and Lu Xun are.

My Zhou Yu is 80 and Lu Xun is 60 so I have no idea what to pick now.

(Side question, is Zhou Yu actually any good? I am not seeing it.)

Edit: it looks like that armor best suits Lu Kang. Since I am already eyeballing Gan Ning I wonder if going for Lu Kang makes more sense, or taking the horse for Taishi Ci instead?

Edit 2: As I expected after reading about your close call, I lost to the level 3 azure dragon. I got him down to about 50% but it was still ugly. One thing of note is that you still get some rewards even for losing...it may actually be slightly more beneficial (or at least very similar) to fight the losing battle 3 times rather than only doing the one you can win the single time.

Edit 3: Wait nope. You get to challenge again and the boss has the same HP, but you have to use a new group. Sadly my second string guys only managed to knock off 500 HP haha
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:06 pm

I got three free level 7 artifacts! The amount you get is based on how many fuses you made over the buggy period. The six artifacts available there were artifacts that were bugged to never be acquired by fuses, hence why they're specifically being awarded.

Zhou Yu is good when equipped with very specific artifacts, of which the Kirin Robe is one. His key passive is Peerless, which doubles his Wisdom when his MP falls under 20%. Well, the Kirin Robe ensures that when someone hits him his MP will fall to 0%, triggering that effect. At that point, Zhou Yu gets to run roughshod with either an ATK Switch sword (Wis > Atk), or using an MP Regen accessory to regain a small amount of MP on his turn to use tactics with the double Wisdom bonus. He's a very strong character to deploy in the current Azure Dragon raid as a result, with the MP Regen, because even without the Mental Exhaustion robe the extra little critters will reduce his MP and thus let him get the bonus.

In your boat, I'd be choosing either between the Kirin Robe for Zhou Yu (and maybe Da Qiao in the future), or the Flurry Sword. The Flurry Sword is another best-in-slot item for several characters, including most Taoists and Zhou Yu again. It reduces enemy tactics evasion, letting your tactics land more reliably. Zhou Yu has a Double Tactics passive so he doesn't need a Double Tactics sword, while for Taoists most of their disabling tactics can't be double-cast anyway, so accuracy is better for them than Double Tactics. Double Tactics only affects things that can do damage, like their poison spells.

The horse is an interesting item, but because it only triggers on special attacks I think it loses out overall to the +30% physical accuracy Musk item that works on every attack, even if that's a generic +% accuracy item that's generally not as good as the -% enemy evasion effect the horse gives. It'll still apply on every attack rather than just some special ones.

You say you're tempted by the armour for Hao Zhao. I strongly advise against that. Hao Zhao's a tank, he has beefy defense, so he's going to be taking smaller damage from enemies than your other characters. Reflecting some of that smaller damage back isn't going to be as good as you think, particularly when the best way to kill Hao Zhao remains tactical damage, and the armour does nothing to that.
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:42 am

After reading your post a few times and inspecting several officers, I still can't pick! I notice you mentioned Daqiao; she does seem quite brutal but I wonder why she would use the robe when she already has the mental exhaustion passive.

I now see the merits of that Zhou Yu build you described. My concern is yeah, I would prefer to already have some sort of sword artifact that gives him more flexibility. Like if I had a wisdom > attack sword, I'd jump on that armor. But with what I have currently, he could only be a caster for the time being. Gonna check some of these gold cost officers now.

I also checked my taoists with relation to the Flurry Sword but nothing particularly stood out among my current lineup. Jia Xu has the defense stat switch but I couldn't see any other sweet combos.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games