Koei and Nintendo present...Hyrule Warriors

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Koei and Nintendo present...Hyrule Warriors

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:01 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOq4IiuRMWk

Not sure what to think, but it looks like the Hylian army is finally being semi-useful for once!
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Koei and Nintendo present...Hyrule Warriors

Unread postby DragonAtma » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:59 pm

Apparently Nintendo and Koei REALLY want me to buy a Wii U....

(so far I have yet to buy any eighth-gen consoles or handhelds)
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zorkaz » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:42 pm

I am speechless. I would have loved it as teenie, but hopefully they won't butcher the Zelda series
Zorkaz
Assistant

Unread postby James » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:43 pm

I'm curious to see how this turns out. If they put some real effort into making it something exceptional, or if it's just a sort of 'Link is here too!' release. Although I don't have a Wii U, and can't really imagine getting it for just one game...

Zorkaz wrote:I am speechless. I would have loved it as teenie, but hopefully they won't butcher the Zelda series

Nintendo has a proud history of using their characters for various side adventures. :)

To their credit, they've handled it reasonably well.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby DragonAtma » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:49 pm

Getting a console for one game is silly, but I've been on the fence about Wii U for a while now. One or two more awesome games should be enough to push me into getting it. Especially if Wii U's price drops.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:27 pm

DragonAtma wrote:Getting a console for one game is silly, but I've been on the fence about Wii U for a while now. One or two more awesome games should be enough to push me into getting it. Especially if Wii U's price drops.

What else is worthwhile?
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Zorkaz » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:09 pm

I wonder if they still manage to keep the game adventure-style-like, as they did with all the other Zelda games.
That means needing various items to unlock levels, getting the master key, crawl around in dungeons, etc...
Zorkaz
Assistant

Unread postby Aaron.K » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:33 pm

While this won't make me buy a Wii U, one thing I can say that makes the game more fitting. Legend of Zelda lore has all these talks of wars that happened during the games, and yet in the games themselves there's no real evidence of this. There's no battles, there's no forces of Hylian knights fighting Bokoboblins or any other enemies.

This style of game seems to fix that issue.
"Don't trust anyone. Never sit with your back to an entrance. Wear shoes with reversed footprints."
Also, check out my forum. A general history board called: The History Room
Aaron.K
Sage

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:24 am

James wrote:
DragonAtma wrote:Getting a console for one game is silly, but I've been on the fence about Wii U for a while now. One or two more awesome games should be enough to push me into getting it. Especially if Wii U's price drops.

What else is worthwhile?

Right now, not very much. The latest super mario is a must have for the system. Pikmin 3 is great, and Wonderful 101 is interesting, but neither are true system sellers. But the next iteration of Super Smash Bros, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, New Yoshis Island, Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule warriors will move systems. Nintendo had issues selling the U for a while, but when these titles come out there will be some people taking note.
Oh my my, oh hell yes, your gettin buried in your party dress.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:30 pm

An interesting video examing the trailer more carefully and making some guesses.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VtafO96JvU
It found some interesting things I missed--for instance, what might be the game's equivalent of friendly NPC officers.

I'm hoping it will have other playable characters--if we're really lucky, maybe we'll get a playable Ganondorf for the first time (outside Smash Bros, whose really more of a fake Ganondorf).
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games