Nobunaga no Yabou: Sozou english version

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: Nobunaga no Yabou: Sozou english version

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:26 pm

I have a question. I know that there is an option to have your leader retire and let someone else take over. Has anyone here ever used that option? I haven't come across a situation where I would want to do it.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:44 pm

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:I have a question. I know that there is an option to have your leader retire and let someone else take over. Has anyone here ever used that option? I haven't come across a situation where I would want to do it.

I haven't used the in-game option, but I can think of a few reasons to do so:
*You have an heir who would get better loyalty out of your officers due to personality type.
*Your Heir is Nobunaga and you want access to the Innovative trait.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:15 am

So I just beat the Fateful Clash as the Akechi. I won as Akechi Hidemitsu as Mitsuhide passed away shortly before 1600, I was thinking to myself that people should have broken some alliances with me when that happened.
I had been allied with the Tokugawa for years at this point, considering that Ieyasu made a power play after Hideyoshi died I would think that after Mitsuhide dies he would have tried to take advantage of the situation. Sadly as there isn't any event for this to happen naturally he stayed loyal to his alliance with me.
The main point of this post is to wish that one day we get a game like this that can adapt to different situations. To be honest these types of games can get a bit boring when you become the dominate power in the land. The only faction that could even challenge me was the Shimazu who controlled all of Kyushu and they showed no interest in invading me.
It would be fascinating if after Mitsuhide died Ieyasu conspired with Hideyoshi (who was still alive at the time) to rebel against me. Would have been a kick in the teeth that I would have to scramble to do something about as I was in the middle of invading the Hojo, A three front war against the Hojo, Tokugawa, and a rebellion would have been something to really add excitement into the late game.
Dynamic events is something that one day is added to games like these. Not random, but twists that make sense in the context of the game. What do you all think?
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:24 am

I picked this up again a few days ago and continued my Lu Bu game. It looks like you can't become Shogun if Quests are disabled, which is sad.

I have to say that taking Odawara castle from the Hojo was possibly the single most elaborate and planned out city capture I've ever had in a strategy game. It required several major campaigns just to get enough roads to attack it with any chance of success against the swarms of Hojo officers. MY final campaign was terrifying with over a dozen massive units in the first wave alone attacking the Hojo on every last front to prevent them from swarming any one area. After Odawara fell, though, they couldn't compete without their chokepoints and their territory was rapidly conquered. The Nanbu then attacked me en masse and are regretting the decision.

I'm still not sure if the high level Tenshus actually strengthen units or not. All my tests seemed to suggest they don't but gameplay results over time suggest they might be--maybe only the Great Tenshu does. Maybe the effect is something other than a direct stat boost like increasing chance to trigger traits or tactics.

For some reason my army turned really bloodthristy recently--enemy officers are dying left and right; I had three killed in my last combat turn alone!
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby kucing » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:36 am

Upgraded Tenshu does improve combat strength, just like its description claim.

I actually captured Odawara quite easily in the first year, in Rise of Heroes scenario as the overpowered Honda Tadakatsu on extreme difficulty. And it was so easy. Basically, when the game starts, I conquered the Satomi. Then I took the 2 eastern Hojo town.

To destroy the Odawara castle wall quickly, I did manual battles. Winning a castle manual battle allows the player to damage the AI castle wall. Because the Hojo called for reinforcements, and they came piece meal, I did multiple separate castle battles (5 of them if memory serves) that allowed me to reduce the 16k hit point to around 3k. It was too easy after that.

That game also happened to be my fastest game in that scenario, war ban victory in the 6th year.
Nobunaga 13 English patch: http://goo.gl/sqHR3V
Nobunaga 12 English patch: http://goo.gl/FuDDCC
kucing
Student

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:09 am

I am never trying to win through eliminitating all clans again. The game gets irritating somewhere around 100 bases. In the final turns I was ignoring all domestics and not even assigning officers to captured bases.

But it's done. My Lu Bu game was great for Feats, too.
It's weird. My actual tests really seemed to suggest the Tenshus are broken but when I actually use Extended Tenshus as gathering points my army does seem to fight better in actual gameplay. Simiarly, a test suggested multiple Hunting Grounds don't stack but enemy castles with several seem to hit hard.

This game has so many little things that can offer boosts combined with there being tons of traits that activate at random that it can be hard to tell what is actually causing what.

Edit:
I ran a test and confirmed something I suspected; the Tenshu resupply bonus only lasts 30 days.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qu Hui » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:20 pm

Gray Riders wrote:I am never trying to win through eliminitating all clans again. The game gets irritating somewhere around 100 bases. In the final turns I was ignoring all domestics and not even assigning officers to captured bases.

Yeah, it's definitely a slog. Especially since, depending on where you start, you're probably going to be fighting the same super-powerful clans you fought in your last game, except even more annoying. One time was enough for me.
My avatar is Roy from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, as he appears in Fire Emblem: Awakening
Quote of the "Day": "The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." -Neil Gaiman
Qu Hui
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:32 pm

Does anyone know the requirements for mass battle? I'm not always sure why the option is or isn't available and I've seen quite a few times where it appears for a second or two then vanishes.

Edit: I ran a test and I think that, similar to the various gates that raise attack the same amount despite using "slightly" and "greater", the Extended Tenshu actually boosts attack and defense by the same amount as the 2-story Tenshu--it's just good for a few more troops and being much harder to storm. I think the Great Tenshu genuinely does give a large boost, though.

So it's possibly worth building 2-Story Tenshus before offensive campaigns but I wouldn't bother building any higher than that.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby nobunaga1221 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:38 am

Gray Riders wrote:Does anyone know the requirements for mass battle? I'm not always sure why the option is or isn't available and I've seen quite a few times where it appears for a second or two then vanishes.

Edit: I ran a test and I think that, similar to the various gates that raise attack the same amount despite using "slightly" and "greater", the Extended Tenshu actually boosts attack and defense by the same amount as the 2-story Tenshu--it's just good for a few more troops and being much harder to storm. I think the Great Tenshu genuinely does give a large boost, though.

So it's possibly worth building 2-Story Tenshus before offensive campaigns but I wouldn't bother building any higher than that.
Well the requirments are , you have to have 9 officers ,and the AI 9 officers .
nobunaga1221
Initiate

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:13 pm

A 1560 Chosokobae game has taken an ugly turn. Things were looking good then the Mori and the Miyoshi attacked with pretty much their entire army (both about twice as strong as me) at the same time.

I think I'm doomed. I've got diplomacy running with another clan in the hope I can force a truce with the Mori and counterattack the Miyoshi, but...
Edit: I survived. Lost two castles, one officer killed, one officer captured and turned. Turned out I had about 80 Imperial Court trust so I topped it out and got the Mori off my back. Current plan is to abuse Imperial Court truces to retake my castles (since the Mori will take time to reinforce them) and keep the Mori away while I take all of Shikoku.

Then?

I will kill Motonari. I will kill everyonewith the surnames "Mori", "Kikkawa", or "Kobayakawa". I'll put their heads on a row of stakes outside my palace with the words "a warning" written underneath.

Then I get nasty.

Edit 2:
I took all of Shikoku but I think the game's doomed. Nobunaga is ludicrously powerful; he gained like 50,000 troops in the same turn I killed almost 20,000 in a mass battle. Being the Chosokobe I don't have many good generals and being Nobunaga he very much does, plus his armies have about twice as many troops as mine per unit (not sure how he grew his population that fast--none of the other lords did and he isn't using Fixed Society). I think should have refused the Otomo's request to form a coalition and allied with Oda instead, then went after the Mori. Too late for regrets.

Edit:
I got this link on Steam; it's a Japanese site but it has the effect percentages and activation chance for the various traits:
http://www63.atwiki.jp/nobu14pk/pages/83.html

Edit: I don't know if my last test was flawed or the if the game was patched, but the gates do seem to be raising attack by different amounts now. Actually, the Square Gate seems to be very good for it's cost and land requirements. Under a controlled test it did 391 damage; the same unit with no a regular gate did 344. Easily the best money-for-killing power exchange I've seen in the castle.
Still not sure why the Great Tenshu seems weak. Maybe it was nerfed in a patch or something and they never updated the description. I did some searching through Japanese fansites via translate and I don't see anything about it strengthening your men. It seems like a rather a waste compared to the four-story (though honestly I'm not seeing many reasons to go to three-story Tenshu or above, to be honest).
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games