Legend of Jiang Wei (v1.1) Translation Project (Mostly Done)

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: Legend of Jiang Wei Translation Project (Status: Prologu

Unread postby Xu Yuan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:48 am

I've changed the Unicode settings to where it says "CN" for the language type I'm using, when I first downloaded your translation patch I extracted it to where the Jiang Wei mod is...

But here's the odd part, just copying and replacing the files didn't appear to be enough. To get your changes working I had to erase the previous Data.e5 and then paste it into the folder. How strange.

Now all I need is to get this font looking correct and it'll be perfect.
As you know security
is mortal's greatest enemy.

SimRTK is back up in a testing phase! Go ahead and give it a look over on the Simzhou forum branch.

http://simrtk.net/index.php
Xu Yuan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xu Yuan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:49 am

Alright, so what I did was change the regional format to Chinese, and the ?non-unicode? language to Chinese (Taiwan, Traditional) and that did the trick. I should have updates for you in a bit now.

UPDATE: Are the in-battle options still not translated? For instance Attack/Tactics all of that still appear to be in Chinese. Is that supposed to be the case still?

UPDATE 2: Seems like Jiang Wei's Critical Hit speech isn't translated yet?

UPDATE 3: Seems the item you get for completing the Seal Conditions in the first mission isn't translated yet.

So far I am loving the characterization. I've always liked the character of Yin Shang so getting to see him shine here has been great. Also I appreciate that you put the normal officer's names next to their style name the first time they are mentioned. The translation is clean with its own flair which doesn't distract from the meaning.

UPDATE 4: Who is Boji, out of curiosity? Was that Jiang Wei's father? (He's mentioned when Jiang Wei is disgusted with the protocol of bureaucracy.)

EDIT: Oh, Guo Huai's style name.

This is some really neat storytelling, it feels very much like watching a drama, I'm enjoying it. The person who put this all together was very thorough! When that one Yuan in Shu's camp started talking I immediately thought "Who is this? A new character?" But then I looked it up on the website and he's a minor officer who participated in the Northern Campaigns. And this fellow is given a speaking line! I love the already clear deep divisions you can see in Shu from just the Zhuge Liang camp intro.

UPDATE 4: Jiang Wei's death speech isn't translated yet.
Last edited by Xu Yuan on Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
As you know security

SimRTK is back up in a testing phase! Go ahead and give it a look over on the Simzhou forum branch.

Xu Yuan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Taishi Ci 2.0 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:45 am

Yes, I have not yet translated the gameplay texts. But I think most of it is intuitive enough to grasp.

Seals, if you'll remember from Legend of Cao Cao, grant you class-ups at certain levels. Two things different about using Seals in Jiang Wei. First, the class-up levels are 20 and 40. Second, you can't buy them in the store. You can only get them from those Seal Missions in battles.

Don't sweat it if you don't think you can do every single mission. There are a whole lot of Seals to be gained from those and the missions cover about two-thirds of the battles in the game.

Most of the characters are "real" (they show up in the novel, or are at least KOEI inventions). There are a few fictional ones made just for this game: Meng Yan, Cao Ling, etc. Some of these fictional officers take the names of real officers about which very little is none, and adopts them for their own characters, like Yuan Lin.

I'll have some more stages to release pretty soon.
"You have attacked us before, and we survived! You cannot defeat us. Submit!"
"We have. You did. We can. No."
Taishi Ci 2.0
Grand Historian Friendly to Cats

Unread postby Xu Yuan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:53 am

Ah, that explains it. Alright, in the second battle now and made a few... shall we say... "tactical errors" I love this theme of "You are where you are born" theme that seems to be playing through the early parts. With Wei Yan looking down on the men of Yizhou. Since that's never explored in any Koei dealings with the Three Kingdoms, but it's a good dramatic device.
As you know security

Xu Yuan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Taishi Ci 2.0 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:58 am

Another quick thing to mention: you may have noticed the choice you get before the battles. That is the difficulty choice. You can change the battles to make them harder if you want to: more enemies, a less favorable starting position, fewer beneficial events and more negative events.

The first choice is always the easier version. The second choice is always the harder one. Pick whichever you like, it has no impact on the story.
Taishi Ci 2.0

Unread postby Taishi Ci 2.0 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:11 am

Here's the files for Battle 5 too. This should make for a complete mini-arc of the story, at least.

http://rapidshare.com/files/463036489/J ... %201-5.rar
Taishi Ci 2.0

Unread postby Xu Yuan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:43 am

Ah, so that's what it was. I had thought that it was just Jiang Wei gauging the troop strength for some event reason or another. That is good to know. But in essence, the battles being more difficult would have more experience to yield I would imagine?

Just beat the second battle and took out half of Zhuge Liang's personal army, took out Meng Yan, met with Zhuge Liang and I think I received a Stat Boost Seed from it, then ran for my life out of there! A very different play experience from the normal game.

UPDATE: Slight text error...

"Yin Shang: Even thought I'll be busy with my position, I'll be sure to keep watch over my sister's grave." Should be "Even though..."

UPDATE 2: Ah a command tent, I was starting to wonder if they'd been removed from this mod. Hmm, do Liu Yin and Gou Fu have bios? I would be quite curious to know what they said, but all of that I imagine is for much later.

UPDATE 3: Um... what is this? I started to play the Qiang battle and I noticed one option I hadn't noticed as available before opened up in Gou Fu's menu that looked like 2 hands (sharing?) and when I clicked on it three options showed up. What do these do, I don't recall this from Legend of Cao Cao at least.

UPDATE 4: Well I beat the Qiang mission, through the course of my debacles I managed to find all three duels (in several different times) and thankfully the AI walked into them all for me the time where it counted. Even then I barely won. It was done to just Jiang Wei against several weakened Qiang units and I won with only 2 turns remaining. I also chose the hard option, and boy, are those battles tricky.

I have to say the foreshadowing in Cao Rui's headquarters is really neat. Like Zhong Yao wondering what he should be getting Hui for his third birthday. (Which is all kinds of adorable) and Chen Qun wondering if his son is too young yet to fight.

A mention of Wang Yuanji from her grandpa, eh? I wonder what will become of that? And Xin Pi offhandedly mentioning Xianying! This game spoils me!

Eh? Is Chen Qun referring to Zhang Chunhua?

Hmm, who is this Lady Li? I had thought she was going to be another fictional female, but Cao Zhen only refers to her as already passed. It seems a strange thing to just throw in out of the blue.

Haha! Oh man! Zhang He's theme is Battle on the Big Bridge! That is Awesome! And he still seems to retain a little bit of his DW flair, how interesting.

The creator can really make every single character engaging. By only a paragraph he's already made me feel a great amount of concern for Xiang Lang and his relations with the Ma family.

Well that's enough for now. Chose the hard option for Jie Ting, let's see how impossible that is, eh heh...
As you know security

Xu Yuan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xu Yuan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:09 am

Ah it wasn't too bad. Kept Ma Su and Gou An alive and fulfilled the Seal Conditions. Things were looking a little dicey, but in the end everyone (important) survived. I didn't lose any of my personal units anyhow. I wanted to see how powerful Zhang He and his men were but I was running out of turns to fulfill the Seal Conditions so I waylaid that. I will download your newest entry and give you my thoughts on it.

EDIT: Actually since it seemed that the rest wasn't translated anyhow I did the last 2 turns over and managed to get a duel with Zhang He and a stat seed out of it. Looks like that was worth it.

Whoa, what? An option to choose from Not an Ally's perspective? How interesting... though I imagine it's likely just a difficulty choice, so I'll go with the second.

EDIT 2: What a grueling battle! I still can't see how you can do everything in it (talk with Guo Huai as Jiang Wei, fight Zhang He as Zhao Yun, and fight with Cao Ling) I had to skip meeting Guo Huai to fight Cao Ling I had to trap the enemy in a stalemate to where I would only take roughly 20 damage a turn, but I was finally able to get Zhao Yun and Zhang He to meet up and getting to Cao Ling was trial and a half, considering that when you kill all of the horsemen, four more appear right on top of you. But I gained a lot of levels for Yang Lan (Liu Yin bowed out fairly early, Gou Fu survived until near the end though) so it worked out well in the end. What does Jiang Wei's accessory do out of curiosity?

Well in any case, superb work so far! Looking forward to updates!
As you know security

Xu Yuan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby nhy7bgt6 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:59 am

Xu Yuan wrote:What does Jiang Wei's accessory do out of curiosity?

That accessory reduces range damage taken to half.
nhy7bgt6
Apprentice

Unread postby Xu Yuan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:21 am

nhy7bgt6 wrote:
Xu Yuan wrote:What does Jiang Wei's accessory do out of curiosity?

That accessory reduces range damage taken to half.

Ah thanks! Very useful information indeed. So I guess Jiang Wei's high evasion rate then is just natural to his class (probably Warlord like Cao Cao and others, I would imagine.)
As you know security

Xu Yuan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games