Legend of Jiang Wei (v1.1) Translation Project (Mostly Done)

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Legend of Jiang Wei (v1.1) Translation Project (Mostly Done)

Unread postby Taishi Ci 2.0 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:07 am

Current Progress: Tentative Complete Version

Legend of Jiang Wei is a mod of Legend of Cao Cao, starring Jiang Wei as the hero and focusing on the later period of RTK, when the actual Three Kingdoms came into being. While most people tend to skim over this period because all of the old heroes from the beginning of the novel have died off by then, there are still lots of interesting characters to be found here as well.

I'll let Guntank explain the mod itself since I can't really improve on his words:

This actually seems to be a relatively recent mod, with the fully finished version released in April of this year, but I believe an early version was released two years ago and worked on ever since. Everything seems top-notch; The gameplay, levels, dialogue, characterization, depths of the story scenes, the music borrowed/used, and even the liberties taken in the story and the modern culture references for that extra bit of humor, such as Sun Hao's Gihren Zabi-style speeches or Guanqiu Jian channeling Aguille Delaz from Gundam 0083 (sadly, it's in Cantonese so most NA fans probably won't get a lot of those, and seems to have a problem in Windows 7 where it'll occasionally crash every so often, but works fine again after reopening the game).

Also, the LoCC 'Factual/Fantasy' Bar has been turned mostly into a Relationship Meter in this mod --- Jiang Wei has three possible 'heroines' he can choose to 'hook up' with throughout the story, and I use the quotes because the 'romances' are a bit blah...I'd say it's really the only (although not too much) disappointing aspect in the game story, in fact.

To add to that, the story is very impressive compared to most mods, and the production values are top-notch. The graphics reworking is especially impressive: every single named character has their own unique sprite.

Unfortunately, like every LoCC mod, this one is also only available in Chinese. So I'm trying to change that by translating the script, and then finding out a good way to patch the files to replace all the existing text with English. For now, all my translation work is going to be in a companion text file that you can consult while playing the game.

Please be aware that my Chinese literacy is still very limited, and this is my first translation project. In many places, I have guessed at the meaning or added and subtracted as I thought necessary to make meanings clear. If anyone wants to give me some criticism on how I'm doing, please feel free to post in response and let me know what I can do differently.

This is the download for the Chinese 1.1 version, in Traditional Chinese. The Soundtrack is included in this download.
http://rapidshare.com/share/A5FE3A42EA5F210EBB5D9122C05197D2

This is the patched version of the game, without the soundtrack files.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rgw2lhn4h49x6 ... nglish.rar

Download these if you are newly downloading the mod and don't have prior save files from before.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ifx330j7fl82n ... 0Saves.rar

Here is the soundtrack as a seperate download. You only need to download this once, even if the above download link changes; the translation won't impact these files.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aomp2e5zf9hk3 ... undTrk.rar

How to make the files work

Please make sure that you have gone into Control Panel, under Language Settings, and changed your non-Unicode settings to Chinese (Traditional, Taiwan) for this to work properly.

Below are some screenshots from the game to entice some of you to give it a try.

The title screen.

Jiang Wei and Yin Shang have no idea what they're getting into.

One of the art stills from the opening.

Zhao Yun and Deng Zhi hear about someone trying to raid their camp.

Jiang Wei prepares to duel Zhao Yun.

Looks like Jiang Wei's gotten the upper hand.

An event from later in the game.

On a technical note, I am able to translate the intermission cutscenes, as shown below. But I am still trying to find a way to translate the battle scenes. The Van scenario editor doesn't want to read those files (the S files) so I'll need to find something else.

:huohu: Enjoy the game, and keep checking back for updates! And feel free to ask any gameplay questions you may have. :huohu:
Last edited by Taishi Ci 2.0 on Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:32 pm, edited 47 times in total.
"You have attacked us before, and we survived! You cannot defeat us. Submit!"
"We have. You did. We can. No."
Taishi Ci 2.0
Grand Historian Friendly to Cats

Re: Legend of Jiang Wei Translation Project (Status: Prologu

Unread postby Taishi Ci 2.0 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:05 am

The part where Zhen Ji is singing a song is still barely translated. I'll need to take another whack at it sometime to make it legible.

Here's the Chinese original:

&甄宓
浦生我池中,其葉何離離。
果能行仁義,莫若妾自知。
眾品鑠黃金,使君生別離。
&甄宓
念君去我時,獨愁常苦悲。
想見君顏色,感結傷心脾。
念君常苦悲,夜夜不能寐。
&甄宓
莫以賢豪故,捐棄素所愛。
莫以魚肉賤,捐棄蔥與薤。
莫以麻枲賤,捐棄菅與蒯。
&甄宓
出亦復愁苦,入亦更苦愁。
邊地多悲風,樹木何蓊蓊。
從軍致獨樂,延年壽千秋。

Translation:

<abcd99> 浦生我池中,其葉何離離。 = Had a river emerged amidst my pond, would any of the leaves fall off?
<abcd99> 果能行仁義,莫若妾自知。 = If only it is fair and square; don't tell me I don't know
<abcd99> 眾品鑠黃金,使君生別離。 = Many things glitter like gold; what caused you to go away?
<abcd99> 念君去我時,獨愁常苦悲。 = When I was yearning about your leave, I was alone, worried, and often feel very sad
<abcd99> 想見君顏色,感結傷心脾。 = Thinking about your face, causes me to feel deep pain in my heart
<abcd99> 念君常苦悲,夜夜不能寐。 = When I miss you I often feel very sad, I cannot sleep well every night
<abcd99> 莫以賢豪故,捐棄素所愛。 = Was there any past virtuous hero that abandon love for ever?
<abcd99> 莫以魚肉賤,捐棄蔥與薤。 = Was there anyone who would abandon onion or shallot just because fish or meat is cheap?
<abcd99> 莫以麻枲賤,捐棄菅與蒯。 = Was there anyone who would abandon (straw?) and woolgrass because hemp is cheap?
<abcd99> 出亦復愁苦,入亦更苦愁。 = Going out would bring back anxiety, going in would also bring even more anxiety
<abcd99> 邊地多悲風,樹木何蓊蓊。 = The borderlan is fraught with sad news, how can the trees be luxuriant?
<abcd99> 從軍致獨樂,延年壽千秋。 = Serving the army would induce a lone laugh, prolonging one's life for a thousand years
Last edited by Taishi Ci 2.0 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Taishi Ci 2.0

Unread postby Xu Yuan » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:32 am

This project is looking promising! Did you add that bit about the "You've gotten too close to the end, go back to 184 and try again"? Or is that in the original translation as well? Because that was pretty hilarious.
As you know security
is mortal's greatest enemy.

SimRTK is back up in a testing phase! Go ahead and give it a look over on the Simzhou forum branch.

http://simrtk.net/index.php
Xu Yuan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby nhy7bgt6 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:47 am

Wow, can't wait to see this epic mod to be translated into English!

Yet, I found that the game provided by Taishi Ci 2.0 may still missing another official patch:
http://www.mediafire.com/?v6gno5od5g21bf4

This patch contains some minor updates (fixes the all-100 attribute bug of Yuan Chen, weapon of Hua Man changes back to spear, fixes Wen Yang's Iron Whip, etc.).

Also, I have overall read through the translation script of the prologue by Taishi Ci 2.0, and I would like to offer myself in helping to check the translation comparing with the original Chinese text (although I may not have many time :D )
nhy7bgt6
Apprentice

Unread postby Taishi Ci 2.0 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:49 pm

I would appreciate any help you could give. Let me know if I have any glaring errors that jump out at you.

There are a few things that have given me especial problems:

*Unusual rank names. If someone has a rank like "General Who Displays Martial Virtue" and I am unable to make out most of the characters (or match the character against their rank list on KMA) then I tend to shorten it to just General, Counselor, Advisor, etc.

*Literary Chinese. This has come up from time to time (Qian Zhao's message to Liu Bei, Zhuge's letter to Cao Zhen or Jiang Wei's letter from his mother, Zhen Fu's song) and I have either left it barely translated or come up with my own adaptation of the general idea of the message.

*Idioms, especially chengyu. Where I could not identify them or easily translate them, they have been ignored or replaced with some comparable English idiom.

I do have the ability to pull out the text files for all of the R scenes and for the openings of the S scenes, using Van's Scenario Editor (the latest version, patch for Yue Fei's engine), but it won't read the rest of the S files (conversations, duels, events) so I can't save those files without those events being erased, including the battle ending events. If you know of a program that can suitably read those, let me know.

And thanks for posting the updated patch.

Would you prefer if my updates from here on were stage by stage or in specific clusters of stages?

Edit: A couple of plot points I still need help clearing up. I've played through the game before, so feel free to spoil these (within spoiler markers, of course).

1. What is the deal with Li Ming, her past and present life, and her oath with Cao Zhen, Cao Xiu, and Li Dian? And how did she wind up with Chen Dao? Is Sun Wei supposed to be Sun Shangxiang or someone else?

2. During the scene where Cao Lin and Jiang Wei meet for the first time (after the Retreat to Hanzhong battle), Jiang Wei thinks to himself that Cao Lin smiles just like someone he saw in Jicheng during Ma Chao's rebellion. What exactly is he referring to there?

3. What exactly was it that killed Yin Xiang? Is the player supposed to know it by the end of the Prologue? Jiang Wei only ever brings up Ma Chao's second rebellion (the one with Yang Fu) but that was over three years ago, and she died three years before the game starts.

Edit 2:

Xu Yuan, that last image in English is just a mock-up image by me. I doubt Jiang Wei is self-aware enough of his terribleness to warn the player. :pika:
Taishi Ci 2.0

Unread postby nhy7bgt6 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:54 pm

I'll answer the spoiler part first.

Q1. What is the deal with Li Ming, her past and present life, and her oath with Cao Zhen, Cao Xiu, and Li Dian? And how did she wind up with Chen Dao? Is Sun Wei supposed to be Sun Shangxiang or someone else?

A. The relationship between them will soon be revealed in the serialized web novel written by the original creator of LoJW. While the novel is still very far from ending, it is known that Li Ming was originally "Dong Bai", granddaughter of Dong Zhuo. After the fall of Dong Zhuo, she followed Xi Zhi Cai who later joined Cao Cao, and was trained to become an assassin under Dian Wei. Until the latest chapter of the novel, there is no further progress yet between Li Ming and Li Dian, both Cao Zhen and Cao Xiu have not even show up.

Sun Wei is the daughter of Sun Jian, elder sister of Sun Quan, and younger sister of Sun Ce, So she is not Sun Shangxiang. When Chen Dao temporarily joined Sun Jian during the battle against Dong Zhuo, Sun Wei seems to have some feelings on him.
By the timeline of LoJW, Sun Wei is married to Chen Dao.

Q2. During the scene where Cao Lin and Jiang Wei meet for the first time (after the Retreat to Hanzhong battle), Jiang Wei thinks to himself that Cao Lin smiles just like someone he saw in Jicheng during Ma Chao's rebellion. What exactly is he referring to there?

A. Although the author haven't reveal the whole story, it has been widely guessed that Li Ming has something to do with Ma Chao's rebellion. I remembered that some plot in LoJW did mentioned that the young Jiang Wei did met with Li Ming during the rebellion, when Li Ming wanted to pass some secret message to the anti-Ma Chao army.

Q3. What exactly was it that killed Yin Xiang? Is the player supposed to know it by the end of the Prologue? Jiang Wei only ever brings up Ma Chao's second rebellion (the one with Yang Fu) but that was over three years ago, and she died three years before the game starts.

A. I think there is nothing suspicious with the death of Yin Xiang. She was died of illness three years ago.

Now the translation part.
I found that you have used "Chen" for the given name of Yuan Chen and Yue Chen. Isn't that they are pronounced as "Lin"? Wikipedia also uses "Lin" as the given name. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yue_Lin
Oh yeah, it should be "Cao Ling" instead of "Cao Lin" from the view of the pronunciation.
For the rest of the prologue translation, I will make some time to look through it for the second time.
nhy7bgt6
Apprentice

Unread postby Taishi Ci 2.0 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:13 pm

Regarding Cao Lin/Ling, based on this link, you are right. It was just spelled Lin in Guntank's thread and I never thought to look it up and check.

As for Yuan Chen and Yue Chen, this is the KMA page for Yue Jin's son:

http://kongming.net/encyclopedia/Yue-Chen

Yue Chen 樂綝

Served Wei. Son of Yue Jin. Campaigned against Shu with Cao Zhen. Executed by Zhuge Dan.
Officer Details

Wade-Giles: Yüeh Ch‘ên
Simplified Chinese: 乐綝
Pronunciation: Yue4 Chen1

Other Names: Yue Shen, Yue Lin

Name Notes: Mistranslated as ‘Yue Shen’ in some Koei games, and on rare occasion referenced as ‘Yue Lin’.

Since Yuan Chen's given name is the same character, I marked that as Chen too when I noticed it.

I've almost always gone with the info that KMA has, and had marked Lin down as just a difference based on dialect, since Guntank had Gou Fu as Gui Fu and Liu Yin as Lau Yan. He also has "Yuan Lin".

Regarding the new patch, what all does it change? I was freaking out when Zhao Guang stopped doing flat damage with the Qinggang Blade, figuring I had bugged out my saves, until I realized that the Qinggang Blade now does %-based damage instead of just flat damage. And I'm not a fan of the new patch swapping back to the old faces for some of the characters (Ning Sui, Liu Zan, Zhuge Ke, Shi Ji). Is there any way to change just those back and keep the rest?
Taishi Ci 2.0

Unread postby nhy7bgt6 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:22 pm

Taishi Ci 2.0 wrote:I've almost always gone with the info that KMA has, and had marked Lin down as just a difference based on dialect, since Guntank had Gou Fu as Gui Fu and Liu Yin as Lau Yan. He also has "Yuan Lin".

Perhaps Gou Fu, Liu Yin are in Mandarin, and I suppose Gui Fu, Lau Yan would be Cantonese.

Taishi Ci 2.0 wrote:Regarding the new patch, what all does it change? I was freaking out when Zhao Guang stopped doing flat damage with the Qinggang Blade, figuring I had bugged out my saves, until I realized that the Qinggang Blade now does %-based damage instead of just flat damage. And I'm not a fan of the new patch swapping back to the old faces for some of the characters (Ning Sui, Liu Zan, Zhuge Ke, Shi Ji). Is there any way to change just those back and keep the rest?

For the faces, you can overwrite it back by replacing face.s5 and tou.dll back to the old version. And for the Qinggang Blade, actually %-based damage is more popular than flat damage, because when Qinggang Blade reaches Lv9, it will deal 40% damages, which suppose to be more powerful than the flat damage based.

I will need to check back again on the full list of what the patch does.
nhy7bgt6
Apprentice

Unread postby Taishi Ci 2.0 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:25 am

More spoiler questions:

1. What exactly is Yuan Chen/Lin's backstory? How did he wind up in Runan, what was the massacre there, and how was Wu involved? Was he staying with Yuan Shu when Yuan Shu was attacked by everyone for becoming the Emperor, and Wu attacked Runan then (and Chen Dao happened to be there to save him)?

2. What is the deal with the term "Dongzhou ren" in the context of Liu Zhang's old officers vs. the Yizhou folks? Are the "Dongzhou" people like aristocratic families originally from the east who are the ruling class over the natives of Shu? Kind of a Normans vs. Anglo-Saxons thing? Would "Easterners" be a better term to go with for that?
Taishi Ci 2.0

Unread postby nhy7bgt6 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:50 pm

Spoiler answering time~~

Q1. What exactly is Yuan Chen/Lin's backstory? How did he wind up in Runan, what was the massacre there, and how was Wu involved? Was he staying with Yuan Shu when Yuan Shu was attacked by everyone for becoming the Emperor, and Wu attacked Runan then (and Chen Dao happened to be there to save him)?

A. This part is also waiting for the original creator to explain, and the current information known is that Yuan Shao intentionally leave the baby Yuan Chen at Yin Chuan/Runan, avoiding him to be the victim of the civil war among the Yuan brothers (which was mentioned in the letter Yuan Shao wrote to Yuan Chen). Most possible that the time Chen Dao met with baby Yuan Chen was after the battle of Guan Du, where Liu Bei and his forces building up themselves at Runan.

Q2. What is the deal with the term "Dongzhou ren" in the context of Liu Zhang's old officers vs. the Yizhou folks? Are the "Dongzhou" people like aristocratic families originally from the east who are the ruling class over the natives of Shu? Kind of a Normans vs. Anglo-Saxons thing? Would "Easterners" be a better term to go with for that?

A. You are overall correct. "Dongzhou" people means those who followed Liu Yan entering Yizhou (Yi Province) and then ruled over the natives. The people who followed Liu Bei entering Yi Province would be the "Jingxiang" people (Jing Province + Xiangyang). I think translating it to "easterners" should be fine, although it would be better to do some studying on the phrase "Dongzhou".
nhy7bgt6
Apprentice

Next

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games