[MOD] Destiny of an Emperor; Flames of Wu

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: [MOD] Destiny of an Emperor; Flames of Wu

Unread postby trimidium » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:48 am

I have read a bit on lord yuan shu's about the beta and it looks like you got lots of feedback on this mod. I am looking forward to playing this when it's no longer beta.... any idea when that will be?
trimidium
Tyro

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:17 am

Once I get the new features figured out. In order to update FOW, I had to apply a new 1.3 patch which totally borked up the item lists, shops, tactics, weapon stats, etc.

MidKnighT has just worked out a great feature with DOAEditor which will make changing this stuff a heck of a lot easier than going byte-by-byte in the hex and changing these manually. Hopefully I can have all of these fixed relatively soon.
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:34 am

Mod updated on the front page with the Last Guy Going First = Freeze Bug Fixed!
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Unread postby slurktan » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:43 pm

Hello! Thank you for this excellent mod. I much appreciate the work and effort put in by you.

However I do have one problem with the game: lack of direction. By this I mean I'm having a hard time figuring out where to go. For example when I got into Wu (I can't remember the city) there was a villager telling me that Yuan Shu's castle was to the north. So I went and burned that castle down after a very tough battle. Then I went south and fought a much weaker battle against Taishi Ci and Liu Yao. I figure I was supposed to do that one first but there was no dialog or anything pointing me in that direction. To compound this later on after taking Jian Ye there are villagers telling me to go north to Yuan Shu and watch out for Ji Ling.

This has led to my current impasse, the messenger from Wei has shown up and I have no idea where to go. I tried going into Wei (difficulty curve goes up extremely high) but get to a hut where a guy tells me past him is Wei. But then I cannot go past him. Also I found Lu Xun's hut but there is only an inn guy there. Nothing pointed me towards that as necessary but I'm assuming I have to do something to get Lu Xun. So I'm stuck.

Any tips?

PS Also the Zhou Tai model seems to have bugged out in my version.
slurktan
Apprentice

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:45 am

Hello! Thank you for this excellent mod. I much appreciate the work and effort put in by you.

Thanks. It's taken a better part of a year to create in addition to the years of experience on other related mods to make this mod possible.

However I do have one problem with the game: lack of direction. By this I mean I'm having a hard time figuring out where to go

You have to REALLY pay attention to the text in the castle scenes to get an idea of where to go but you'll also have to have somewhat of an idea of the ROTK series to better be able to understand how Wu conquered the land. While it's not perfect due to the confines of the game script, I did my best to emulate Wu's rise to power. You're stuck currently because you need to conquer the Shan Yue before you'll be able to move on. It's okay if you defeated Yuan Shu first because I try to leave the game open to "alternative routes" that makes it more RPG's and not so linear (think of the original where you could conquer Jing Zhou or Yuan Shao first)

Return to Jing Zhou via a Seawing and go south of the canal castle to conquer the Shan Yue (like Wu did in history) and gain some new talent to your army...

I know things are difficult to follow at times but that is due to the complexity of events and essentially creating "choke points" that players have to pass through in order to make the game progress in a certain way, otherwise you would just go straight to chapter 8 and bypass the whole story and key characters. This is especially difficult since players follow a completely different story from the original DOAE.

I fixed the Zhou Tai bug and uploaded a newer version which can be downloaded on the front page of this thread.
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Unread postby slurktan » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:47 am

sonic.penguin wrote:You have to REALLY pay attention to the text in the castle scenes to get an idea of where to go but you'll also have to have somewhat of an idea of the ROTK series to better be able to understand how Wu conquered the land. While it's not perfect due to the confines of the game script, I did my best to emulate Wu's rise to power. You're stuck currently because you need to conquer the Shan Yue before you'll be able to move on. It's okay if you defeated Yuan Shu first because I try to leave the game open to "alternative routes" that makes it more RPG's and not so linear (think of the original where you could conquer Jing Zhou or Yuan Shao first)

Return to Jing Zhou via a Seawing and go south of the canal castle to conquer the Shan Yue (like Wu did in history) and gain some new talent to your army...

I know things are difficult to follow at times but that is due to the complexity of events and essentially creating "choke points" that players have to pass through in order to make the game progress in a certain way, otherwise you would just go straight to chapter 8 and bypass the whole story and key characters. This is especially difficult since players follow a completely different story from the original DOAE.

I fixed the Zhou Tai bug and uploaded a newer version which can be downloaded on the front page of this thread.

Thank you for the quick response! Amusingly enough I took a break from the game then like an hour after I posted figured out to go to the canal where I used the Saltpeter. Now I'm trying to take Jing from the CAo's and theres a massive troop count jump. Don't get me wrong I like the difficulty but I just killed Huang Zu and his 3k troops 3 fights ago and now have Cao Pi and Xu Huang with 8k each.

Another question for you. I feel I should have gotten Zhang Hong and Lu Su at this point of the story. Zhang Hong definitely from a novel/history perspective but I haven't gotten them yet. Still ahead or do I need to backtrack somewhere?

Thanks again!
slurktan
Apprentice

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:25 pm

Backtrack. They are "Hidden Characters" that you can, if paying close attention to character dialogue, can acquire. The hint is to return to Luo Yang and start poking around there if you have acquired the aid of Ling Tong. By this point in the game, however, you may not want them in your lineup. Hopefully you also found Lu Meng.

The troop jump IS BIG around Red Cliff's, but it does throw a wrench into the All-Out strategy that I didn't want to be overused. It is still quite manageable if done right but not impossible, at least from my numerous tests. I worked super hard at balancing tactics acquired at certain levels and the strength of officers so as to make the game a cakewalk. There comes a point in the game where it doesn't matter really how many troops they have but moreso on how much DPS they put out so its all a balancing act and hopefully its not too bad...
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Unread postby slurktan » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:09 pm

Thanks again. Found the two strategists, must have missed the dialog pointing me to Luoyang. I did find Lu Meng easily enough.

I'm now slogging my way through Wei. Kind of annoying there's no teleport spot in there thus far. Made more annoying by me randomly while walking around running into Sima Yi and Zhang He and some powered up Wei Forces that wipe the floor with me. I assume this just happens in this part of the game but yet it also happened outside of where I fought Guan Yu.

Speaking of, is there a way to go after Shu before killing Cao Cao? Like Guan Yu betrayed me and took Xiang Yang, so I killed him and then went through Jingzhou. Fought a couple shu battles but ever since all Wei all the time.
slurktan
Apprentice

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:16 am

Speaking of, is there a way to go after Shu before killing Cao Cao? Like Guan Yu betrayed me and took Xiang Yang, so I killed him and then went through Jingzhou. Fought a couple shu battles but ever since all Wei all the time.

Not really, unless your forces are godly enough to tackle all 5 of the 5 tigers just north of Xiang Yang and completely skip Shu altogether :lol:

Shu is kept separate from the defeat of Wei because the forces there are A LOT stronger there and I wanted the story to be different from the original with Shu always being the first kingdom to be conquered. You'll have to use a Seawing in order to get into Shu after the forces of Wei are defeated. That Sima Yi battle is tough though, I agree, but i actually needed to save towns w/teleport locations for later in the game as it became VERY difficult to place towns in the latter part of the game because there are only so many towns w/ teleport locations. Some towns in Shu/Wei are VERY far apart but that was the best I could do.
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:07 am

New version uploaded that fixes a number of issues:
1. No more gunpowder sucking up inventory space as it is unneeded in Flames of Wu
2. Minor dialogue fixes
3. Upped TP cost of Powder as it was abusable and spammable at 5 TP. New cost is upped to 10 so it will take a little more strategy to balance tactic conservation and damage output.
4. He Qi gets a slight soldier boost + a good stat boost to make him more of a viable option vs. the likes of Taishi Ci and Zhang Zhao
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games