[MOD] Destiny of an Emperor; Flames of Wu

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: [MOD] Destiny of an Emperor; Flames of Wu

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:14 pm

The Rise of Lu Bu Trailer has been launched to spread the word of version 3.0! You can check it out here or on the front page of this thread. Enjoy.... BWAHAHAHA!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpwI9_E58h0
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Unread postby NoblemanYuanShao » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:17 pm

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't seem to get past the gate to fight the Shanyue south of the canal castle, the two guards block and say they're guarding to protect themselves from the Shanyue but I can't progress south to fight them
NoblemanYuanShao
Tyro

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:33 am

Front post updated with more in-game original artwork of officer portraits. Check out the front page of this thread and download the mod to try if you haven't done so already!
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:24 pm

:huohu: Flames of Wu Mod updated! New features inclhuohude: :huohu:
*New dual colored menu/status screens
*New "Spoils of War" addition which allows for a *RARE* case where extra gold, food, or items will drop
*New portraits
*Items now sell for 50% of their original value instead of 75%
*Portrait modifications to a few characters whose portraits didn’t fit the style of the others.
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Unread postby Wen Ma Gui » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:35 pm

Hi Sonic!

First of all i'm a great fan of your work and will be anticipating your Cao Wei mod with great enthusiasm. I've discovered your work playing Rise of Ieyasu and have just finished Flames of Wu. The portraits are impressive and in flames of wu you've reworked the story inton something surprising and interesting.

I find your idea for the ghost of the ending interesting, but since there was a bonus section in Ieyasu i ask myself if you could create one or two (or several) original ''ghosts''.

Zhuge Liang for example could be replaced by other historical chinese historical figure like Guan Yiwu(Guan Zhong) or Xiang Ji and the recruitable officer could be Zuo Ci(don't know if it's possible)

Could the final ghost be another great from history like Genghis Khan(Temujin) or a Fantastic/supernatural threat à la ''Orochi/Da Ji'' in the orochi series? Other notable conquerers from Japan's history like Taira or the first Qi Emperor(or an Evil demon Shang emperor) could be interesting.

Also, i didn't find Zhou Yu's ''I wasn't that sick'' excuse that great...that text could or the character could be replaced by a good ''ghost'' or perhaps another Wu great like Gu Yong....

(next post bugs)
Wen Ma Gui
Tyro

Unread postby Wen Ma Gui » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:17 pm

Ok. So bugs.

The main bug I encountered is a chaos/confuse bug. My guys sometimes act as tough they had chaos casted on them and the ennemi alos attacks itself sometimes tough i haven't used tactics on them. Also there's a guy that wants to join you in the dong zhuo section that breaks the game when you try to add him to your party. Except from that the game ran smoothly enough.....getting creamed by Cao Cao and Zhuge Liang's chaos and having to overcome Zhang Liao's might....challenging, but fun and fast paced if you're patient enough to grind a little.

The PC/recruitable officers are really well rounded in this mod! I like how the roster is diverse and each guy has strengths and weaknesses...on my first playthrough i didn't get Cao Pi so couldn't get Zhang Ti and Quan Cong...and was enamored with Liu Bei's Terror and balanced stats...in this playthrough i almost didn't use Liu Bei, instead relying on Zhang Ti's speed and high troop count to shield my guys from early successes on musou attacks(Xi Liangfight in particular) and could terrorise my opoosition! I also love that high str guys are either fixed troop (Ma Chao, Meng Huo) or have a little less str. I'm playing Rise of Lu bu 3.0 and you can eventually duel your way out of a lot of fights in that mod(though in Lu bu you don't have as many INT guys like Lu Kang and Zughe Ke so it kind of can balance itself in the end i guess). I also like that a guy like Zhou Thai with his decent str and int is more useful at the endgame than when you get him. This mod with the tactics, troop count and spd components makes playing with your party fun because you have many viable options.(except i haven't used Ling Tong yet, is he underpowered?) I'm fascinated by what diverse weapons, officer types and stats(politics? vitality? leadership?) will bring to your next mod.
Yeah, would you want me to do an officer guide for this mod?
Wen Ma Gui
Tyro

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:18 pm

Hi Sonic! First of all i'm a great fan of your work and will be anticipating your Cao Wei mod with great enthusiasm. I've discovered your work playing Rise of Ieyasu and have just finished Flames of Wu. The portraits are impressive and in flames of wu you've reworked the story inton something surprising and interesting.

Glad to hear! I've reworked numerous portraits from Flames of Wu into even better ones to be released in Hero of Chaos. Hopefully it will turn out as the creation of it is proving diffictult due to the fact Cao's armies went back and forth all over the central plains. Will keep people posted as to its progress.

I find your idea for the ghost of the ending interesting, but since there was a bonus section in Ieyasu i ask myself if you could create one or two (or several) original ''ghosts''.

Zhuge Liang for example could be replaced by other historical chinese historical figure like Guan Yiwu(Guan Zhong) or Xiang Ji and the recruitable officer could be Zuo Ci(don't know if it's possible)

Could the final ghost be another great from history like Genghis Khan(Temujin) or a Fantastic/supernatural threat à la ''Orochi/Da Ji'' in the orochi series? Other notable conquerers from Japan's history like Taira or the first Qi Emperor(or an Evil demon Shang emperor) could be interesting.

This was a tough section I sort of threw in there last minute. At this point I was really getting tired of working on Flames of Wu as it had been in progress for over a year at the point of its release. I considered adding lots of 'other' forces, but figured not many people would be familiar with the likes of Temujin and other characters, plus there was limitation in terms of editing at the time which sort of made all officers the same by that point. The current forces are also representative of my other mod work so it's kind of a shameless plug for that :P

Also, i didn't find Zhou Yu's ''I wasn't that sick'' excuse that great...that text could or the character could be replaced by a good ''ghost'' or perhaps another Wu great like Gu Yong....

Again, very similar to the post above. I was tired of creating the mod at this point and just needed an excuse to add another high INT officer into the fray to make the ending battles easier as the only one present had been Lu Xun. I really didn't want to start adding other non-historic figures into the fray until after the final battle and by the time of Du Yu, all of the officers in the line-up except Ding Feng, Quan Cong, and Zhang Ti were pretty much dead.

The main bug I encountered is a chaos/confuse bug. My guys sometimes act as tough they had chaos casted on them and the enemy also attacks itself sometimes tough i haven't used tactics on them.

This was actually just reported by Zylowolfbane and unfy on the lordyuanshu.com forums just last week. MiDKnighT will be around next week to check on this one.

Also there's a guy that wants to join you in the dong zhuo section that breaks the game when you try to add him to your party.

This might have been Ling Tong's 'former' incarnation. I replaced him and might have forgotten to change the text. I've gotten a lot of people saying he is "underpowered" or not very useful as well. He is kind of hard to fit in to the whole mix in terms of timing and stats.

The PC/recruitable officers are really well rounded in this mod! I like how the roster is diverse and each guy has strengths and weaknesses...

When I made my first mod, I got a lot of feedback and how too many officers were the same (200+ stats on everything) and I remember DragonAtma saying "If every officer is superpowered, then none of them are special", so I took that to heart and have tried to use all spectrums of stats from "vegetable-like" officers to "god-like" officers with lots of variation inbetween so that players have a reason to billet people, unlike the original DOAE or the Cao Cao Mod by James where you load up on officers in chapter 1/2 and barely change anyone. I've actually had a few people mention how well Liu Bei fits into the line-up in Flames of Wu, so I'm glad I added him in there.

Yeah, would you want me to do an officer guide for this mod?

If you'd like to, sure. If you make it, I'll bundle it with the rom.

Thanks for the feedback, it helps me ferret out issues with future mods and its always good to know some people still get some enjoyment out of this little gem.
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:18 am

New version updated with loads of new/better officer portraits*
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Previous

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games