Kaio: King of Pirates - RoTK-based pirate game (?!)

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Kaio: King of Pirates - RoTK-based pirate game (?!)

Unread postby Nazne » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:37 pm

This may end up belonging to the other RoTK Games section, but since it's just an intro and pictures, I thought I might as well as post it here for now.

First trailer here.

Article

Official Site (Japanese and English)

Essentially, Keiji Inafune (creator of Mega Man) is trying to make a game for the 3DS about pirates, but with RoTK characters, in animal form, with three major factions being roughly Birds, Beasts, and Lizards. The trailer's fairly cute as far as animation style, but pretty much all I got from this was that Liu Bei is a Piplup,

Guan Yu is a...cow? and Zhang Fei is a yeti,

and either Cao Cao or Dong Zhuo is a lion?

Oh, and also Zhuge Liang might be a bald eagle. And American. (I really hope I'm wrong, but look at the mustache!)

I legitimately can't tell who's supposed to be representing Wu or Wei in this, though, so sorry, Lady Wu <__<
先主復領益州牧,諸葛亮為股肱,法正為謀主,關羽、張飛、馬超為爪牙,許靖、麋竺、簡雍為賓友。
- 蜀书二 先主传
Nazne
Master

Re: Kaio: King of Pirates - RoTK-based pirate game (?!)

Unread postby Shen Ai » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:34 am

Holy cow this looks hilarious. I think Wei is Lizards, given the negative image of reptile compared to cuter animals. I wonder if Cao Pi will be a character?
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:28 pm

There is something a little weird about that Liu Bei which I can't quite get over.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Starscream » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:41 pm

I sincerely hope that the monkey carrying the "Fire" shield isn't Zhou Yu. :evil:
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby Shen Ai » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:48 pm

I think that the eagle is Sun Quan or Sun Jian. Zhuge Liang is a dragon/lizard thing if you go to the website.

And Liu Bei is adorable guys! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:09 pm

Shen Ai wrote:I think that the eagle is Sun Quan or Sun Jian. Zhuge Liang is a dragon/lizard thing if you go to the website.

And Liu Bei is adorable guys! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

My first thought was that the eagle was Zhou Yu but Sun Jian is a decent call.

Yeah I'm thinking the lion is DZ, the red characters are Wu the blue ones Shu and the green ones Wei. A little bit of a mind twist for us Koei fanboys but looks AWESOME :lol:.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Starscream » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:23 pm

It would be cool if the green dragon is Zhao Yun (guessing it based on the weapons and connection with his style name).

For the red eagle, another unexpected candidate could be Cao Cao since it is holding a 7-star sword.
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby Nazne » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:56 pm

Hmm. I'm starting to wonder which are actually *faction leaders* - because in the trailer, either the dragon or a snake had a *son*, which leads me to wonder if green might not represent Wu.

Also, I'm becoming increasingly scared that Zhuge Liang is actually the pink female cat thing. It has fans, doesn't seem to have a pirate crew (unlike all the other characters shown here) of its own, and...:?
先主復領益州牧,諸葛亮為股肱,法正為謀主,關羽、張飛、馬超為爪牙,許靖、麋竺、簡雍為賓友。
- 蜀书二 先主传
Nazne
Master

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:03 pm

Nazne wrote:Hmm. I'm starting to wonder which are actually *faction leaders* - because in the trailer, either the dragon or a snake had a *son*, which leads me to wonder if green might not represent Wu.

Also, I'm becoming increasingly scared that Zhuge Liang is actually the pink female cat thing. It has fans, doesn't seem to have a pirate crew (unlike all the other characters shown here) of its own, and...:?

Good call on the lizards being Wu. I think your right.

This game is meant to be the first in a trilogy so I suspect this one is focusing on DZ and so I think the cat with fans is Diao Chan.

When you say the green dragon thing that you think may be Zhao Yun do you mean the creature that appears at 1:22 in the video?

If red is Wei who do you think the monkey may be?
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Starscream » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

I have to agree that the green faction is Wu after viewing the video. The younger bluish green lizard told the iconic green lizard, "leave it to me, father." Probably that was Sun Ce/Sun Quan and Sun Jian?

The gray lizard at the right hand side corner seems like Lu Bu to me...

The parrot-like critter on the left seems more like ZGL and the polearm wielding furry critter beside it looks like one of Liu Bei's warriors...Zhao Yun? :roll:
Last edited by Starscream on Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Next

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games