DoaE Mod Idea.

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

DoaE Mod Idea.

Unread postby Tarrot » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:12 pm

Separating this, but just a random mechanic that came to mind while playing one of the mods: How about removing buying armor from the game?

Here's what I'm thinking: Armor, for the most part, is useless unless in large numbers (roughly, 10 armor = 4% damage reduction; You cap at 200 armor in game, which is roughly 80% reduction on base damage, meaning you take only take 2000-3000 damage instead of 8000-12000 a hit). Throughout the game, it just kinda gets tacked on and you don't really notice it. My thought is: In order to add more challenge to the game, your available armor is always going to be limited. So that robe you get in the beginning of the game, and the robe and cap you find in the cave outside Yuan Shu's territory, that actually becomes valuable. Switch out some treasure chests, and you can also add in good pieces of armor into the game. I think that it can add some difficulty to the Yuan Shao/Jing Zhou areas, at least up till you get evade, and even when you go into Wu and Wei, you'll still be limited by what's available, which would make Evade tacticians actually have a role in your army if you go up against a super strong meathead army who hit 10k plus on a couple of your guys.

Anyone have any thoughts on this, or implementing this into a mod, or if it'd be worth it or not?
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: DoaE Mod Idea.

Unread postby James » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:32 pm

I think it is a great suggestion.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:24 pm

The issue is item placement outside and around cities. As far as I know James has been the only one to implement this into a mod where random items were scattered about the maps. Maybe he needs to give us all a tutorial on how to do it easily.
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Unread postby MiDKnighT » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:57 pm

The issue is item placement outside and around cities. As far as I know James has been the only one to implement this into a mod where random items were scattered about the maps.

I know how to do it but haven't shared it so that people wouldn't be able to look up items in James' mods. I can share how to do it in the ROM hacking guide if you want to do it in your mod.
MiDKnighT
Sage

Unread postby Kong Zi » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:00 am

Yes please. I'd be happy to know
Kong Zi
Apprentice

Unread postby MiDKnighT » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:07 pm

OK I have added an "Item Placement" section to the DoaE ROM Hacking Guide at:

http://www.lordyuanshu.com/forums/topic ... ng-guide-1
MiDKnighT