[MOD] Destiny of an Emperor Rise of Lu Bu 3.0

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

[MOD] Destiny of an Emperor Rise of Lu Bu 3.0

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:26 pm

My other mods:
Rise of Ieyasu 2.0
Flames of Wu

Rise of Lu Bu Version 3.0 8/16/2013

Rise of Lu Bu Download Link:
Rise of Lu Bu 3.0

Rise of Lu Bu Youtube Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpwI9_E58h0

FCE Ultra Emulator Download Page

Use FCE Ultra 2.1.5 Emulator or above for BEST compatibility.

Game changes in Rise of Lu Bu 3.0

*New story - Star as Lu Bu did instead of Liu Bei and his crew
*New Duel Tactic
*New 8 Tactic Battle System
*New Menu system to equip multiple items at once
*New borders, status screens, and dual colored text effects
*New agility based attacks
*Battle balancing and new officers
*Lots of typos fixed

Old Rise of Lu Bu Version 2.0 below
Rise of Lu Bu 2.0.zip

Player Reviews and Huo Hu Awards (2011-2013):

2012 Huo Hu Award for Best Comedy in a Mod: TIE: Rise of Lu Bu (by sonic penguin 2011-2012) and Yuan Shao's Revenge (by MiDKnighT 2010-2012)
Runner up: Yuan Shu Mod by Lord Yuan Shu 2007-2011)

Yuan Shao's Revenge (by MiDKnighT 2010-2012)

Yuan Shao mod, the moment Cao Cao slaps Cao Hong

I would say Yuan Shao vs. Yuan Shu, but since the Emperor still did not get any new clothes in the Yuan Shu mod, and a lot of the mod needed cleaned up, I'll have to cast my vote for Yuan Shao's Revenge.

Destiny of an Emperor 2.0: Rise of Lu Bu (by sonic penguin 2011-2012)

Rise of Lu Bu - sonic.penguin will know why I chose this.

There are times I go through and play and it seems like a Dynasty Warriors game with all the classic quotes and silly behavior from townspeople. I think there are no less than 10 townspeople talking about action figures, buying DoaE books, etc.

Voted WINNER of the following 2011 Huo Hu Awards:

Best Story line/Text Modifications
Destiny of an Emperor 2.0 - Rise of Lu Bu: the plethora of changes, and overall theme is quite consistent.... and the fictional story progression is in place as well. Comedy is nice.

Best Map Modifications
New optional routes for traveling convenience, provides a more open-ended NES style RPG experience. Great Wu stone maze and the Yellow Turban area is way different (even if a little ugly and un-natural looking).

Best Comedy in a Mod
There are times I go through and play and it seems like a Dynasty Warriors game with all the classic quotes and silly behavior from townspeople. I think there are no less than 10 townspeople talking about action figures, buying DoaE books, etc.

L..Lu Bu! Don't kill me!
Liu Zhang, Rise of Lu Bu mod
--------------------------------------------------

Player Reviews!:

"This was a VERY enjoyable mod!... though the Stone Sentinel maze did start to get to me (which is the point, right?)!"

HugDaddy @ the-scholars.com

"the lu bu mod was amazing"
Shifter 420 @ @ the-scholars.com

"Unexpected"
"Man, I'm playing this mod and I don't believe my eyes."
"It was challenging, but also coherent and interesting enough to make it worth doing."

Lord Yuan Shu @ the Lordyuanshu.com/forums

"After playing many of the downright brutal DoaE, it was nice to play the lubu mod that was fairly balanced although still more difficult than the original"
unfy @ the Lordyuanshu.com/forums

".it was a real nice mod, insane battles aside."
Tarrot @ the-scholars.com

"I had to give Lu Bu the gemsword so I could stop buying resurrects."
MiDKnighT @ the Lordyuanshu.com/forums

";I wish I was like Lu Bu..."
Man @ Luosang Village

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah... Like he said! -points up-

Synopsis: Follow the story of Lu Bu as he brutally mangled his way through ancient China in DESTINY OF AN EMPEROR: RISE OF LU BU 3.0!

---------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------

Original changes in RISE OF LU BU

1. Increased difficulty for major boss battles. You might have to plan your use of strategists at different points. Get to know your tactics and what they do!

2. Faster leveling than the original DOAE 2.0 to aid vs. difficulty increase.

3. New officers/ removal of officers who are just a waste of space in battles + changed portraits!

4. New officer stats/rebalancing. The game will be easier and harder at different points and not so exploitable throughout *most* of the game. Don’t expect to be An-Sha-ing/Beheading your way through Shu and Wu either!

5. TONS of changed dialogue to make characters more unique, tell a differing story, and enhance gameplay/humor value from the generic dialogue of the original.

6. Some slight changes to maps to remove a few exploitable areas of the game + extras!

7. Unexpected surprises throughout the game! (don't we all love them?)

8. Faster/cleaner dialogue after battles, in menus, and when dealing with merchants to eliminate extra keystrokes.

Updates! 10/6/11

9. Increased TP gains per level 5-6. 1/16 chance of 4 or 7.

10. Adjusted HP of many characters and battles.

11. Fixed dialogue for townspeople for errors and for a more unique dialogue. We will no longer go to meet them now... q.q

12. Increased chance of higher damage for you and enemies! (about 5% change)

13. New generic enemies in some boss fights!

New sprite colors!

Updates 10/19/11

14. NEW sprite colors! Look at those awesome colors...groovy!

15. Changed weapon and armor types sold in some stores. Now advanced weapons are available earlier at a premium cost!

16. Slight weapon AP adjustments.

17. Tactic cost change for Behead (AnSha) and Zeal (Bei Ji)

18. Level 52 is possible if you aren't greedy early on...

19. Now you automatically start with 200 gold and 1000 food.

20. Some people offer BONUS level ups for free! Make sure to talk with people.

21. BONUS battles. More boss battles than the original, yes MORE, added to the game and placement adjustments for lots of surprise battles. Watch out for ambushes!

------------------------------------------------------

***Tips***

*If you can't seem to win by brute force, try changing your party up.

*Formation is key. Officers on top get hit A LOT more than ones on the bottom. (that doesn't sound right??)

I have played the game through myself more than once and found it to be an excellent challenge and full of surprises for DOAE veterans.

Any feedback on the mod and suggestions for totally necessary changes would be very welcome.

More info can be found in that is zipped in the mod at the top of this post.

You will need an emulator such as FCE ULTRA EMULATOR 2.2.1 to run this game.

Thanks for downloading and enjoy!
Regards, sonic.penguin

Last edited by sonic.penguin on Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 167 times in total.
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Re: Destiny of an Emperor 2.0 : Rise of Lu Bu BETA MOD

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:21 pm

MidKnight has been giving some excellent feedback, so I will be uploading changes soon that will have a MAJOR impact on the yellow turban area. Some slight changes will be made through Nan Yang area as well. You should be able to safely overwrite your previous file as long as the names are kept the same.

Bear with me on some of the map tiles, its stil in beta
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Unread postby Tarrot » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:23 pm

Typo in the first fort after the Yellow Turban area.

"Cao Cao is attacking Hu Lao Gate. But Dong Zhou is stron Yuan Shao and Yuan Shu never go to the front line. I wonder why?"

Further: While I like the idea of a super-powered Lu Bu, this idea is really stupid, especially how you've implemented it. Early in the game, you have no strategists available, you have no power pills, your melee attacks don't do much damage, and the only way to take down Lu Bu fast enough is TP actions, which due to a lack of strategists means you'll run out of TP via false acts before Lu Bu's down to a point you can kill him. The fact that you're forced to waste at least two people's actions every turn to ress someone, plus the person who is ressed not doing anything, makes this fight worthless and merely save-state practice. If this is how your fights will be as the mod goes on, I'll stop playing now.
Last edited by Tarrot on Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:34 pm

Fixed! Also fixed one in Wu. Re-uploaded as well. Thanks.
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Unread postby Tarrot » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:04 pm

Didn't noticed you posted before my edit, so bumping so you see my comment. I'm not playing the mod any more, the first Lu Bu fight is too stupid for me to continue on any further. Scorch doesn't do enough damage even if every hit hits to get Lu Bu to under 200, much less kill him, and when adding in Zhang Liao doing decent damage, and the occasional time Lu Bu kills my guy trying to ressurect someone, I'm not resorting to save-state scrubbing to do a fight. Legend of East Wu killed that for me, and even there, there was a certain strategy to it that this mod doesn't have.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:09 pm

Hint: buy lots of resurrects for each person and use scorch, he goes down in a few turns if you're lucky. That is probably the worst one when it comes to dying fast, but then again, that is how I imagined Hu Lao gate anyways.

Sorry, it is not meeting your expectations thus far. We have already talked about adjusting TP values as you level up as well, but Im going to have to get MidKnight to hex edit that sucker unless somehow I can magically get a hold of James
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Unread postby Tarrot » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:32 pm

I'd already done that, which was the problem. I had two resurrects on each person, and every scorch hit, and Lu Bu still had 200+ HP left. Not to mention Zhang Liao and the soldiers. Eventually I hit a point where I only had 3 people alive, and I ran out of resurrects without even getting Lu Bu under 100 HP. Unfortunately, I'd saved over my main state reloading in the battle, so I had to resurrect, with all my resurrects gone, with most of my money gone, with my food low, and I really don't want to have to grind that all back up.

In James' Cao Cao mod, the one thing he got the most complaints about on the board was the Xu Chu random battle (I think email he got more on what he did with Lu Bu, and I think I complained more about the Liu Bei/Xu Shu battle), which was pretty much Xu Chu 1-shotting people till you took him down. A battle like this just isn't a fun battle, limits of the game aside. When I know the strategy, implement it, and I still have, by my estimate, less than a 20% chance of success normally (with reloading every time to make sure my scorches hit, even if I'd had my inventory full of resurrects, I'd still have lost that battle most likely), that's just not a fun mechanic. My suggestion would be to lower Lu Bu's HP into the 800s or so, which would still make it annoying, but not as arduous to accomplish.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:42 pm

sonic.penguin wrote:Sorry, it is not meeting your expectations thus far. We have already talked about adjusting TP values as you level up as well, but Im going to have to get MidKnight to hex edit that sucker unless somehow I can magically get a hold of James

For changing TP levels on level up? I did that in the Cao Cao mod.
... but I definitely don't remember where that was in the ROM.

It might be in my development notes for the remake.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:42 pm

My suggestion would be to lower Lu Bu's HP into the 800s or so, which would still make it annoying, but not as arduous to accomplish.

Will make that change then, thats why this is a beta! :D Give me 2 min

For changing TP levels on level up? I did that in the Cao Cao mod.
... but I definitely don't remember where that was in the ROM.

Sound great, let me know if/when you find them
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Unread postby sonic.penguin » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:48 pm

My suggestion would be to lower Lu Bu's HP into the 800s or so, which would still make it annoying, but not as arduous to accomplish.

Fixed! Now he should be around 700-800, let me know what you think! Although I still have gotten killed when he had 12 soldiers q.q

Also, until somehow I get someone to help with those TP adjustments, as I am unfortunately unable to do it myself, make sure you are gaining in the 4's or 5's each level to help.

Unfortunately, I'd saved over my main state reloading in the battle, so I had to resurrect, with all my resurrects gone, with most of my money gone, with my food low, and I really don't want to have to grind that all back up.

I did that in the Cao Cao mod at the 2nd. to last gate before the final battle... then saved over the savestate... the most recent one I had was all the way back in Chang An after the Dong Zhuo fight -__-
sonic.penguin
Langzhong

Next

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games