Legend Of Cao Cao Modding

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Legend Of Cao Cao Modding

Unread postby mrwongshappymushu » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:36 pm

In general, what to do? Intsructions?
replacing portraits? changing values? editing sprites? changing dialogue?
just some questions for no0bs looking to get into LoCC modding, i have taken a severe interest in the game and have thought of lots of stuff but doesnt know how to do it, and im sure there might others too.
so any tips? :oops:

Edit: also, no0b friendly editors?
mrwongshappymushu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Legend Of Cao Cao Modding

Unread postby Masatog » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:37 am

I'm afraid there aren't any "no0b friendly" editors. Why? Because the editors is in Chinese. If you don't know how to read Chinese such as me, you'll need a huge amount of time and dedication to slowly figure out which triggers does what. To MOD a scene (R files) or a level (S files), it would probably take hours to make, say about 2-5 hours depending on your efforts towards the map.
If that hasn't scared you away, I can type up a brief summary of what the important triggers do in my next post along with the editor by Van.

Replacing avatars/portraits and sprites is different from MODding the game; easier as well. For portrait/avatar, simply find a 64 by 64 pixel in 128 colour and replace the image you want. The sprite work requires two separate editors to work properly. One that sets a sprite to a specific officer and the other which stores the sprite.
The resource editor for this is Van's 'RPGViewer'. Lady Wu has uploaded one of it somewhere. Some search may find it.

Many more editors is needed. An example is that one which hacks the data file that can change the entire stats, effects, spells, range, terrain, name, etc.
Current Avatar: RTKXI's Chen Gong in LoCC sprite.
Masatog
Scholar

Unread postby mrwongshappymushu » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:18 pm

Could i please get some links for the editors? as soon as i heard chinese i went on one of those "learn it" thingys
im willing to learn chinese to mod :)
mrwongshappymushu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sean » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:20 pm

mrwongshappymushu wrote:im willing to learn chinese to mod :)

It doesn't exactly work that way. Chinese is a painful language to learn, and even more painful to use effectively. If you are going to learn another language simply for learning how to dink around with a game editor, then I suggest you think again.

This is assuming that you have absolutely no prior knowledge on Chinese, though.
#sosz @ irc.lunarnet.org
Open 24/7 for discussion. [Please take time zones into consideration.]
Sean
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby mrwongshappymushu » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:23 pm

It doesn't exactly work that way. Chinese is a painful language to learn, and even more painful to use effectively. If you are going to learn another language simply for learning how to dink around with a game editor, then I suggest you think again.

This is assuming that you have absolutely no prior knowledge on Chinese, though.

none whatsoever :wink: Im a serious noob, but im really into the game and modifying it in general
mrwongshappymushu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tarrot » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:14 pm

In fairness, when I was doing my LOEW translations, my knowledge of Chinese was minimal, I just used a lot of online tools to help me out. If you find some good Chinese to English text over translators, you can figure out usually what is being said, and if you're just translating tool uses, you don't need to be fluent. Plus, Chinese grammar's fairly easy to pick up, and the real hard part is taken care of by the online tool, so you could figure it out if you're diligent enough.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby mrwongshappymushu » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:50 am

Tarrot wrote:In fairness, when I was doing my LOEW translations, my knowledge of Chinese was minimal, I just used a lot of online tools to help me out. If you find some good Chinese to English text over translators, you can figure out usually what is being said, and if you're just translating tool uses, you don't need to be fluent. Plus, Chinese grammar's fairly easy to pick up, and the real hard part is taken care of by the online tool, so you could figure it out if you're diligent enough.

thanks, its what i was hoping to do :) but i cant find any chinese editors.. by the way can this be hex edited? i dont think.. but any chinese editors? better than the english one :wink: i couldnt figure it out... didnt come with instructions... :cry:
mrwongshappymushu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Masatog » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:04 pm

Sorry for the late reply. A unexpected event happened which I couldn't use the computer for three days.

For the editor, your best bet right now is to use GongsunZan's partly translated editor of Van's Scenario Editor. Link to the thread is here: http://the-scholars.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20061
Open a LoCC file and look around. That is the first step of learning what the editor can do.
Is there another editor you want?

I'm to agree with the others here. Chinese is a hard language to learn.
Masatog
Scholar

Unread postby mrwongshappymushu » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:07 pm

Is there another editor you want?

Would there be others?
mrwongshappymushu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Masatog » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:01 am

Many more editors is needed. An example is that one which hacks the data file that can change the entire stats, effects, spells, range, terrain, name, etc.

That's one. Another one changes the presentation of the game.

----
Are you getting the hang of it, using the scenario editor?
Masatog
Scholar

Next

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games