Legend of East Wu (LoCC mod)

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Legend of East Wu (LoCC mod)

Unread postby ZhouTai50 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:20 am

Okay, so it finished downloading and I played the first level. I'm definitely impressed so far. To start, it uses some very nice music, very traditional in style. I particularly like the song from the main menu. In game, they use rendered versions of the RotK XI portraits for the characters and many of the character models are modeled after the RotK XI portraits. I did notice that Liu Bei's is edited so that he is wearing a blue robe instead of the red original one. Even normal soldiers get portraits from RotK XI characters that aren't used in the game. For example, Yellow Turban soldiers in the first level use portraits like Zhao Hong's and Deng Mao's, the Han soldiers use Hu Zhen and Han Yin, and Sun Jian's two men use Xiahou En and Wu Yan.

The first level is your standard Sun Jian vs. Yellow Turbans level, though I do really like the map they used. Next up is the Alliance battles. More to come soon. :wink:
ZhouTai50
Sage

Re: The ever-moddable Legend of Cao Cao (graphics intensive)

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:39 am

Yay, I managed to download it too!

Was quite impressed by first stage too. The title song is taken from the TV series. I noticed some of the in-game music is taken from the sequel to the game 赵云传 (the Diablo clone where the final boss is Xiahou Mao), which definitely includes some of my all-time favourite game tunes (like the one used for the 2nd Battle of Sishui). The dialogue in the first stage made me laugh out loud (literally), though the next two or three stages are identical to LoCC's. The new maps are classy. And I definitely appreciated the Sun Jian/Hua Xiong duel (though Guan Yu still got the credit at the end. :( ).

Are you playing on normal difficulty or easy?

PS: Is it just me or is the last save slot an autosave?
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Re: The ever-moddable Legend of Cao Cao (now with more Wu!)

Unread postby ZhouTai50 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:19 pm

I'm playing on normal, though after getting to Hulao, that might have been a mistake. :lol: I really think that the stage is impossible. Your allies get slaughtered in the first couple turns, and you can't deal a bit of damage to Lu Bu, who has the ability to attack you twice every time you attack him, before you attack. He can also confuse with his attacks. I really have no idea how to get by him. If I try just ignoring him and going for the gate, he catches up and kills me from behind.

Anyway, I also noticed that there's a new button in the battle menu, which lets you transfer items between characters while in battle.

And yes, the last save slot is an autosave it seems. Quite a nice feature, seeing as I've accidentally exited the program while in battle before and lost my progress.
ZhouTai50
Sage

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:02 pm

I'm playing on easy, but perhaps this would help on normal as well:

Give Han Dang the auxiliary item you got in the last stage (freezes the enemy upon attack). Freeze Lu Bu while you get Huang Gai in there, and save/load until (a) Lu Bu doesn't confuse Huang Gai, and (b) Huang Gai confuses Lu Bu. Then just pray that Lu Bu doesn't regain consciousness for a while. Once the three brothers duelled him, Lu Bu's stats will drop temporarily. Guan and Zhang can pitch in quite a bit of damage, and Sun Jian can just cast Wind on the side.

What's annoying in my game was that after Lu Bu was confused, the brothers decided to go at the gate instead of taking advantage of Lu Bu. :evil:
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Ricsid » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:19 am

I downloaded Legend of East Wu couple days ago.. the thing is, after I clicked on the EKD5.EXE file, there's nothing except small icons in the system tray.

Is there any config/settings that I should apply before playing the game?..
Ricsid
Student

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:33 pm

Ricsid wrote:I downloaded Legend of East Wu couple days ago.. the thing is, after I clicked on the EKD5.EXE file, there's nothing except small icons in the system tray.

Is there any config/settings that I should apply before playing the game?..

Not that I know of. I just unzipped and ran the game.

Are you running other versions of LoCC at the same time? WinXP or Vista?
Lady Wu

Unread postby Ricsid » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:15 am

Lady Wu wrote:Not that I know of. I just unzipped and ran the game.

Are you running other versions of LoCC at the same time? WinXP or Vista?

Nope.. I always run one instance at a time. My comp spec is Intel Core Duo 3Ghz, RAM 3 GB, NVIDIA GeForce 8600, using WinXP.

If I right click the icon on the system tray, there are 3 option. The top did nothing, the middle I forgot, but the bottom one will exit the game. (end the .EXE).

I always wanted to play LoCC game based on Wu and other RTK-based story.. *sigh*

Lady Wu, is there any other RTK-based other than LoLB and LoEW? (and of course the most anticipated LoYS :D)
Ricsid
Student

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:15 am

Ricsid wrote:Nope.. I always run one instance at a time. My comp spec is Intel Core Duo 3Ghz, RAM 3 GB, NVIDIA GeForce 8600, using WinXP.

If I right click the icon on the system tray, there are 3 option. The top did nothing, the middle I forgot, but the bottom one will exit the game. (end the .EXE).

:(

Don't know what to tell you except for "redownload/reinstall".

Lady Wu, is there any other RTK-based other than LoLB and LoEW? (and of course the most anticipated LoYS :D)

There's a "Deluxe LoCC" which has some nice new features (new music/portraits/units) but which is very hard. It's worse than running through Legend of Lu Bu without items or saving. Wait, actually, you can't even compare them. It's so sadistic that it should carry a R-rating. If you're into that kind of S/M go ahead and give it a shot...

Supposedly there are a few different versions of Legends of Liu Bei and Yuan Shao around, and there are ones for Zhang Fei and Guan Yu in production, but I haven't played any of them.
Lady Wu

Unread postby ZhouTai50 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:29 pm

So, I got to Red Cliffs in this, and it's definitely getting harder. Actually, it isn't really the battle that's hard, it's the map that makes it difficult, with the narrow corridors created by the ships, and Cao Cao's powerful generals swooping in to capitalize on it. I lost the only time I've tried it, and didn't retry at the time since I had just put an hour and a half into the battle. :lol:

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised to see a unique Cao Chun in the level. He almost never gets a portrayal.
ZhouTai50
Sage

Unread postby Ricsid » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:40 pm

Lady Wu wrote:
Don't know what to tell you except for "redownload/reinstall".

Okay, I tried to set the EXE to run in 256 color mode, then it works. But then again, the game looks ugly in 256 color.. oh well :P

Haven't interested to try the SUPER difficult one.. got bullied by the screencap showing multitude of blue enemies surrounding the few red armies :P

update: I managed to run it under 640*480 (16 bit colors) :D
Ricsid
Student

Next

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games