LoCC Mod: Dynasty Warriors SLG

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

LoCC Mod: Dynasty Warriors SLG

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:31 am

This is the craziest thing I've seen in a long time: link

It'll probably take me a few days to download it (currently only 12 levels are available), but it looks like a remake of Dynasty Warriors in a Legend of Cao Cao system. Except so much of the graphics and basic programming has been changed that it doesn't even look like a LoCC mod anymore. @_@

Apparently you can control duels (something first introduced in the Mount Wagang mod, though the mechanics of this one looks slightly different), create new weapons, practice alchemy, play in Musou Mode or Challenge Mode, etc.

If the game really does what the pictures say, it'd be probably the most ambitious mod I've seen to date...

PS: The author's own Q&A thread. There's a quest system too!
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Re: LoCC Mod: Dynasty Warriors SLG

Unread postby Terranigma Freak » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:00 pm

I can't see. The site loads like a snail even on DSL. How about you grab some screens and post them? I just wish they wouldn't use the damn ugly DW art.

Why aren't they making cool mods for the mainline ROTK games? 11 has the most moding potential.
Terranigma Freak
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:21 am

Ok, it took just under a day to download the mod.

Dynasty Warriors SLG is a work in progress by 子心无双 that recreates Dynasty Warriors as a LoCC mod. It's one of the most anticipated works among the Chinese modding community as it pushes the limits of LoCC modding ability to an entirely new level.

Upon loading the game, this screen shows up, along with DW5's starting music (all the music and sound effects of the game are from DW5, and the fmvs from DW5 also play at the appropriate times):

After selecting "Begin new game"...

The choices are Musou Mode (you play as one of the factions through their story; only Shu/Liu Bei is unlocked right from the start), Free Mode (you play as any unlocked faction in any unlocked stage), Challenge Mode, Tutorial, Camp, Options (you can play in Easy, Normal, Hard, or Chaos) etc.

Free Mode:

Camp:
- All controllable characters are fixed at level 50, but their abilities can be increased permanently via stat-increasing items obtained in battle.

I started a Musou Mode game. He Jin is telling us about the Yellow Turban rebellion:

Before every stage, there's a preparation area similar to the briefing screen in Xtreme Mode.

On top of buying items (and like in Xtreme Mode, auxiliary items are one-use-only), upgrading weapons and armour...

...you can also learn more about the stage and get quests from speaking to people in the inn and in the training grounds. There is also the option of doing alchemy and creating items from the herbs and things you obtain from previous battles:

When you're ready to go, you get some pre-battle information:

Clicking on each unit on the map will let you know who the officers are, how many troops they have, etc.

You can also do some last-minute equipment stuff:
(See if you can recognize the items from DW5)

All ready? Here we go!
He Jin: Cao Cao's forces will head to the east. Sun Jian's forces will proceed through the centre. And the volunteer force will go towards the altar in the west.

P.S.: Check out the mini-map--it is quite a nice rendition of the DW5 Yellow Turban map, complete with falling rocks, tornadoes, Zhang Jiao's ghost army, Han Dang's brainwashing, etc. when our forces proceed to the corresponding places.

There are attack depots (everyone around the depot captain gains Attack, and there are towers that shoot stuff at you) and supply depots, and where the little flags are--those are the entry points where troops are regenerated every now and then. The AI leaves something to be desired, though--allies don't always take the entry points, which can be infuriating when you're running out of time and an enemy entry point all the way across the map is spewing troops...
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:23 am

TF: There are TONS of RTK mods. The fact that I haven't been talking about them doesn't mean they don't exist. Personally I'm more interested in LoCC mods, though, and seeing all the breakthroughs in LoCC modding technologies.
Lady Wu

Unread postby Terranigma Freak » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:41 pm

Let me rephrase that. I meant big mods. I saw some mods at the usual ROTK pirate site, but do you have another site with a good list of mods for XI?

Anyway, it looks very impressive. This is still a strategy game?
Terranigma Freak
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:00 am

Terranigma Freak wrote:Let me rephrase that. I meant big mods. I saw some mods at the usual ROTK pirate site, but do you have another site with a good list of mods for XI?

Usually I'd check XYCQ, but if I come across any specific ones I'll let you know.

Anyway, it looks very impressive. This is still a strategy game?

Yeah, it's still a turn-based strategy, and is more complex than LoCC in that you have to take into account the depots (supply depots will heal everyone across the board for a small amount every now and then, so you want to kill them first; attack and defence depots get in your way and are a nuisance to destroy), the entry points, and the duels (if you get the 3 Brothers too close to Lu Bu in Hulao you'll be forced to duel Lu Bu... let's just say I opted to end the stage by just defeating Dong Zhuo instead). Triggering certain events will also raise or lower morale. You can choose to defeat each peon or just take out the enemy officer (after which the troops under him will withdraw), but the number of kills you make affects your final score (which translates into gold earned...) and the loot you get at the end.

I'm now at Guan Yu's Escape on normal, but I think I'll go do some levelling-up in free mode first. Weapon upgrades and some special items can only be found in Hard/Chaos (Hard is actually hard, and Chaos is just as chaotic as it is in DW5...
Lady Wu

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:28 pm

More screenies!

Zhang Jiao: How dare you take my supply depot? I shall not forgive you!

Deng Mao vs. Zhang Fei:
- You get to pick 3 moves every round: attack, block, or evade. A duel lasts 10 rounds. There is a hidden musou gauge, and when it's full you get to use your musou/super-musou moves.

Items to help you in battle:

The after-battle talk:

You get scored on the number of in-battle events you triggered and the speed at which you cleared the level. The score gets translated into the amount of gold and items you get. There are some special items which you can only obtain if you get a score of S (above A).

Loot!

Ambushed at Hulao!

Lu Bu appears!

The ever-annoying Zuo Ci

Xiapi flooded
Lady Wu

Unread postby WuLordoftheNewAge » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:54 am

So... I guess I'm learning chinese. I MUST PLAY THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SHIFTPLUSONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!¡ALTPLUSONEHUNDREDANDSEVENTYTHREE¡!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *Head Asplode*

OK... that was spam-tastic Never again.
Pang Tong: So I wonder what this place is called?
Sign by road: "Place where Pang Tong gets killed"
Pang Tong: Hmmm... I have a bad feeling about this place...

On Fallen Phoenix Slope.
WuLordoftheNewAge
Langzhong

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:18 am

To quote LoCC's Yuan Shu: Teeheehee!

One annoying thing: because the maps are so much bigger than LoCC's and there are just so many more units, this mod is a CPU power hog. Sometimes, the lag between unit movements is intolerable...

Nonetheless, it's still amazing.
Lady Wu

Unread postby ZhouTai50 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:56 pm

Been playing this the last couple of days. It's quite an innovative mod and extremely entertaining. Got through Guan Yu's Escape level, which I'm assuming is the last one available at this time. It's nice to see that you don't only get the DW playables as characters as well, but people like Zhou Cang, Jian Yong(a godsend in the early battles), Mi Zhu, and Sun Qian. Liao Hua was an ally for a couple stages as well, though he never became controllable and loved charging into enemy lines alone and getting slaughtered.

One thing I definitely noticed is that it's extremely easy to run out of turns. It took me over five tries to beat the Hulao level due to running out of turns, and I only defeated it when an ally delivered the final blow at the last possible second.

Anxiously looking forward to new updates as well.
ZhouTai50
Sage

Next

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games