Did Koei spur you on to learn the history?

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Did Koei encourage you to study these eras?

Yes
91%
No
9%

Total votes : 33

Re: Did Koei spur you on to learn the history?

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:27 pm

I can say a categorical yes to this question now. :lol:
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xu Huang fan » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:20 am

yes it definitely did.
Xu Huang fan
Langzhong

Unread postby PeanutButterToast » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:29 am

Yes, definitely. I had no idea who Liu Bei, Guan Yu, Cao Cao, etc. were until a classmate brought Dynasty Warriors 4 to play. Then I started learning about the characters, and later when I had access to internet, I was like "Wait, they were REAL?!" :shock:

And then I was hooked on learning the history, discovering the old 1994 drama, learning what I could in my spare time.

Thanks, KOEI. Now I'm trying to learn a little Chinese, and it's making me want to bang my head against a wall.
PeanutButterToast
Initiate

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:06 am

Absolutely, yes. Though Warcraft III also contributed to that to with the custom Dynasty Warriors maps people made. I wouldn't have found out about this era or beyond if it weren't for KOEI's game. Despite by righteous hatred for them, a part of me will always be thankful they exist. They still introduce more and more people to the era as well to this day.
"Looking at Zhong Hui is like viewing an armory, one sees only spears and lances"
— Pei Kai
Check out this list of historical resources I have.
Check out this list of cited biographies I have written.
DaoLunOfShiji
Scholar

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:26 am

Dynasty Warriors as my intro to the era, it led me to the novel, rp's like simrtk and drew me more and more into characters like Cao Cao and Lu Bu. I'll always be grateful for Dynasty Warriors for that. I do like that with figures like Lu Su, post-Wuzhang Jiang Wei, Yu Jin, they are showing something different from what people would expect or encouraging people to explore such figures
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Hasdrubal » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:40 pm

Yes it definitely did for me. The only thing I’ve found now is that I find them basically unplayable now due to the creative liberties they’ve taken. The voice acting is absolutely atrocious!
Hasdrubal
Tyro

Previous

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games