Did Koei spur you on to learn the history?

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Did Koei encourage you to study these eras?

Yes
91%
No
9%

Total votes : 33

Did Koei spur you on to learn the history?

Unread postby pyrozack » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:37 am

I'm writing a paper for my comp 1 class. In it, I'm exalting Koei for making historically based games. I make references to how in me, personally, and some of my friends that I was spurred on to learn about what actually happened, not just the romanticized stories. So, know that I'll be using the results of this poll in a paper. Here goes!

Did Koei's historically based games spur you on to learn about the true history of the Three Kingdoms Era of China as well as the Warring States Period of Japan?
pyrozack
Tyro

Re: Did Koei spur you on to learn the history?

Unread postby Tarrot » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:35 am

Technically, it was Capcom (Destiny of an Emperor, way back when I was in grade school), but Koei did push me in the direction I'm moving now.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby crosswindcrab » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:25 am

Playing DW4 for the first time did make me wanna read the novel. Playing ROTK and DT is what really got me into the history for some reason though. Realising there were so many more people than were touched on by DW made me want to leran more about them.
Scientists are testing the health of marine life by putting shrimp on treadmills.
...Maybe that’s what they find so compelling about the image of a lowly shrimp, valiantly scampering along to nowhere on a treadmill.
crosswindcrab
Initiate

Unread postby Tao Lu » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:34 pm

I've always had an affinity for history so when I learned that the RTK was based on history it was the best of both worlds. I checked yes because Koei did give me subject matter to learn about.
Tao Lu
Apprentice

Unread postby Lordyuanshu » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:47 pm

What Tarrot said. Destiny of an Emperor and Capcom started it. Mention Capcom and DoaE in your paper for an automatic A+
Lordyuanshu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mikhail » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:26 pm

Yes, without any doubt. Before ever playing DW4: Empires (my first KOEI game), I never had any interest in the history of China. Ever since then, I've recreationally studied fragments of Chinese history, specifically that of the Three Kingdoms era as well as read up on some of the happenings of the Sengoku era in Japan. While Bladestorm didn't really start my interest in the Hundred Years War, as I was already interested in that era to begin with, it acted as a supplement to my ever-growing knowledge of the era.
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby KingKongRong » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:57 pm

Doae and Capcom started it all up for me.
KingKongRong
Tyro

Unread postby Niahak » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:20 am

Capcom started it with DoaE, but then Koei's DW3 was the one that finally inspired me to buy the novel. I prefer the strategy series usually, but DW3 had much more of a plotline, which was the inspiration.

Koei did spark a decent amount of research into the Sengoku period, too.
Niahak
Scholar

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:33 am

The original RoTK for NES was my first exposure to the time period, followed by RoTK II for the SNES 3 years later, approximately. To be honest, though, my first real historical interest in China was spurred by Qin: Tomb of the Middle Kingdom. I didn't get my 3K thing really going until early 2004 when I hit one of those weird "I crave information" periods I frequently go through. I was looking for ROMs, came across SoSZ, posted some topic about whether Zhuge Liang was happy or not, and was off from there.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Lonely_dragon » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:43 am

Yes Koei games makes me a real fan of three kingdoms... And it made me learn the real events behind the novel too... :D
"Know yourself Know your enemy you can win 100 battles, Know yourself and know not the enemy find win and defeat in equal measures, Know not yourself and know not the enemy defeated in every battle." Sun Tzu
Lonely_dragon
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games