Legend of Yuan Shu [temporarily discontinued]

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Legend of Yuan Shu [temporarily discontinued]

Unread postby Qu Hui » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:32 pm

Legend of Yuan Shu

About
Legend of Yuan Shu is a mod of Legend of Cao Cao, focusing on Yuan Shu, a member of the noble Yuan family and later, self-proclaimed emperor of the Zhong dynasty. The player will control Yuan Shu through the highs and lows of his military career. Ultimately, the player will dertermine if Yuan Shu falters or goes on to reunite China under his banner.

Playable Characters (now in order of joining)
Yuan Shu - Ruler
Liu Xun - Horseman
Ji Ling - Horseman
Zhang Xun - Foot
Yang Hong - Strategist
Yuan Yin - Strategist
Han Yin - Magician
Yan Xiang - Magician
Yue Jiu - Fighter
Chen Ji - Mounted Archer
Li Feng - Archer
Liang Gang - Foot
Feng Shi - Dancer
Feng Fang - Geomancer
Qiao Rui - Archer
Yuan Yao - Mounted Archer
Lei Bo - Bandit
Chen Lan - Bandit
Chen Yu - Fighter
Villian Path General #1 (Hint: Yuan Shu's eldest nephew/second cousin) - ?
Villian Path General #2 (Hint: Yuan Shu' middle nephew/second cousin) - ?
Villian Path General #3 (Hint: Yuan Shu's youngest nephew/second cousin) - ?
Villian Path General #4 (Hint: One of Yuan Shao's advisers) - ?
Villian Path General #5 (Hint: One of Yuan Shao's advisers) - ?
Villian Path General #6 (Hint: One of Yuan Shao's warriors) - ?
Villian Path General #7 (Hint: Yuan Shao's son-in-law) - ?

This game is based off of the hard work Lady Wu and the others did on the english LoCC. English only (for the time being).

EDIT:List of stuff that needs to be done:
-Logo needs to be made
-Desisions on how many stages there will be in both paths. DONE! [24 Sept 2009]
-Hammering out the plot details.
-Sorting out the item placements.
Last edited by Qu Hui on Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 8 times in total.
My avatar is Roy from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, as he appears in Fire Emblem: Awakening
Quote of the "Day": "The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." -Neil Gaiman
Qu Hui
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Legend of Yuan Shu, a LoCC mod

Unread postby Lady Wu » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:53 pm

You know, you'll be a hero of SoSZ if you really manage to make a LoYS mod.

I wouldn't be too concerned about filling out the roster. IMHO it's way more important to make sure that each of your characters stand out and have something to do. You'd have a lot of character development to do since nobody knows much about Yuan Shu's staff, and it'd be a lot of work to make each person distinct. One of my gripes with LoCC is that characters like Cao Ren, Cao Hong, Cheng Yu, and Man Chong have no character and are useless when you've gained some new officers. Cao Zhang, Cao Pi, and Guan Yu are neat to have in the game, but are generally useless as well since they're overshadowed by the other horse and horsebow units. So, if you really want to include a lot of officers in Yuan Shu's staff, perhaps you can consider either making some of them NPCs, or giving them really different stats so that the player will have to really think about who to use in a particular battle. Take a look at Legend of Lu Bu; there, you only have 14 playable characters, but each of them has a very distinct personality and a very distinct use. And although people like Wei Xu and Hou Cheng have crapalicious stats, you're forced to use them, so it becomes an interesting challenge.

Will you have enough space on the deployment screen for the villain path, if you have 7 extra officers?

You may also have to think about unit balance. If your game allows levelling (as in LoCC, and not like LoLB), the characters whose unit type is unique will level up a lot faster (since you'll always be bringing them) than the others.

What kind of person are you planning to make Yuan Shu?
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Qu Hui » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:45 pm

Lady Wu wrote:You know, you'll be a hero of SoSZ if you really manage to make a LoYS mod.

I wouldn't be too concerned about filling out the roster. IMHO it's way more important to make sure that each of your characters stand out and have something to do. You'd have a lot of character development to do since nobody knows much about Yuan Shu's staff, and it'd be a lot of work to make each person distinct. One of my gripes with LoCC is that characters like Cao Ren, Cao Hong, Cheng Yu, and Man Chong have no character and are useless when you've gained some new officers. Cao Zhang, Cao Pi, and Guan Yu are neat to have in the game, but are generally useless as well since they're overshadowed by the other horse and horsebow units. So, if you really want to include a lot of officers in Yuan Shu's staff, perhaps you can consider either making some of them NPCs, or giving them really different stats so that the player will have to really think about who to use in a particular battle. Take a look at Legend of Lu Bu; there, you only have 14 playable characters, but each of them has a very distinct personality and a very distinct use. And although people like Wei Xu and Hou Cheng have crapalicious stats, you're forced to use them, so it becomes an interesting challenge.

Will you have enough space on the deployment screen for the villain path, if you have 7 extra officers?

You may also have to think about unit balance. If your game allows levelling (as in LoCC, and not like LoLB), the characters whose unit type is unique will level up a lot faster (since you'll always be bringing them) than the others.

What kind of person are you planning to make Yuan Shu?

First of all, thank you for the suggestions, Lady Wu.

The 7 additional characters in the Villian Path are going to be sorely needed; after the first stage of the Villian path, all but Zhang Xun, Yuan Yin, Feng Fang, Liu Xun, Yuan Yao and Feng Shi are removed from your lineup. Leveling will be allowed, and only Yuan Shu is fixed in deployment; I'm hoping that will encourage the players to experiment with different officer combinations. Most officers will need to be leveled up anyway; save for one of the Hero Path bonus generals, Feng Shi and Villian General #5, no officer in your party will have a stat over 90; many don't even have stats over 80. As for unit balance, there will be only one or two classes unique to one person; there will be at least two of the other classes in your roster. Yuan Shu will be close to how he is historically; talented but arrogant. For everyone else's personalities, I'm going to try to make them unique in some way.
My avatar is Roy from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, as he appears in Fire Emblem: Awakening
Quote of the "Day": "The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." -Neil Gaiman
Qu Hui
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Taishi Ci 2.0 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:23 pm

I probably can't help with the plot or anything for this, but I can lend you a hand making the game itself. If you've got the first battle concept written up, send me a PM and I can make a test version of it.

Note that since I have Vista I can't monkey around with the data files (changing battle maps or class/unit stats or such) but I can make the battles or cutscenes themselves with the scenario editor.
"You have attacked us before, and we survived! You cannot defeat us. Submit!"
"We have. You did. We can. No."
Taishi Ci 2.0
Grand Historian Friendly to Cats

Unread postby Qu Hui » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:26 pm

Thanks for the offer, Taishi! I'll need the help, definately; I want to have at least twenty stages in both the Hero and Villian Paths, since the path before the split is only about 15 stages long.

Also, I was thinking of fixing the ammount of gold that is given after the battle, as a way of making buying new equipment a little more difficult, as the Lv. 2 equipment is going to be available earlier (Stage 11 at the latest). For example, in the first stage, if a specific ally dies, you would less gold than if he survived. The most gold that you will be able to get is 2500, the least amount would be 1000. I don't know if that would make it too hard to buy healing items, though.
Qu Hui
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:46 pm

Fixing the amount of gold is definitely a good thing. You can always change the price of items and equipment in the data.e5 file.

Qu Hui wrote:Thanks for the offer, Taishi! I'll need the help, definately; I want to have at least twenty stages in both the Hero and Villian Paths, since the path before the split is only about 15 stages long.

Also, I was thinking of fixing the ammount of gold that is given after the battle, as a way of making buying new equipment a little more difficult, as the Lv. 2 equipment is going to be available earlier (Stage 11 at the latest). For example, in the first stage, if a specific ally dies, you would less gold than if he survived. The most gold that you will be able to get is 2500, the least amount would be 1000. I don't know if that would make it too hard to buy healing items, though.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Qu Hui » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:07 pm

Weapons and armor are going to be a little cheaper, about 100 gold less; beans and rice are going to heal more HP but be more expensive (not much more, though).

Also, I need some suggestions on who to cut; I've already cut the Horsefootbow trio, Diaochan, Han Sui, Zhang Lu, Ma Su, Hu Juer (only for the time being) and Ju Gu and planning to cut Liu Pi and Gong Du, but that leaves six more characters to go (since Ji Ling is already in the Data.e5 file and I swapped Cao Cao and Yuan Shu).

P.S.: Since Yang Daijiang won't fit due to the 12-character limit, he will now be called Yang Hong.
Qu Hui
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:53 am

Qu Hui wrote:Weapons and armor are going to be a little cheaper, about 100 gold less; beans and rice are going to heal more HP but be more expensive (not much more, though).

Also, I need some suggestions on who to cut; I've already cut the Horsefootbow trio, Diaochan, Han Sui, Zhang Lu, Ma Su, Hu Juer (only for the time being) and Ju Gu and planning to cut Liu Pi and Gong Du, but that leaves six more characters to go (since Ji Ling is already in the Data.e5 file and I swapped Cao Cao and Yuan Shu).

P.S.: Since Yang Daijiang won't fit due to the 12-character limit, he will now be called Yang Hong.

Make sure you put all of Yuan Shu's officers in the first 28 slots of the Data.e5 file, or else they won't be able to level up. That means you'll have to swap some people around.
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby Qu Hui » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:09 am

Sun Gongli wrote: Make sure you put all of Yuan Shu's officers in the first 28 slots of the Data.e5 file, or else they won't be able to level up. That means you'll have to swap some people around.

...Crap. I was hoping that everyone would be able to keep their places, to keep individual sprites and all, but now it seems that I'm in a bind; plus, I don't know if the 28 limit applies to me, since I'm using the original LoCC engine and not the Legend of Yue Fei engine (I really hope so; if not, then I'm about two officers short.) Thank you for pointing that out, Sun Gongli, since I probably wouldn't have noticed until I tried testing out later stages.

If I do need to use officers that don't level up, I might compensate by doing one of three things: 1( Having the Hero Path bonus generals gain one level after every battle, instead of normally gaining levels, 2( Keep some of the original officers alive and cut some of the Villian Path generals or 3( Remove the bonus generals.

On another note, R_00 is finished and undergoing revision and S_00 and R_01 are being worked on.

This is a temporary list of character conversions, to accomindate the new information. This will also include ally officers, who will not be playable but have been put in somewhere else.

(Before/After)
Cao Cao/Yuan Shu
Xiahou Dun/Ji Ling
Zhang Liao/Liu Xun
Guan Yu/Yuan Yao
Cao Ren/Zhang Xun
Cao Hong/Qiao Rui
Yu Jin/Chen Ji
Cao Pi/Liang Gang
Xu Chu/Lei Bo
Xiahou Yuan/Chen Lan
Dian Wei/Yue Jiu
Diao Chan/Feng Shi
Xun Yu/Yuan Yin
Xun You/Feng Fang
Jia Xu/Yan Xiang
Guo Jia/Han Yin
Li Dian/Chen Yu
Xu Huang/Li Feng
Cheng Yu/Yang Hong

Since only Villian Path generals #2 and #4 have fixed positions, none of the Villian or Hero path generals will be included in this list.
Qu Hui
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:11 am

Best idea for a Legend of Cao Cao mod EVER.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games