Sango 2 (Magitech Corporation): Discussion Thread

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Unread postby Terranigma Freak » Tue May 06, 2008 4:58 pm

Ack, sorry, that demo is 2 years old. I didn't see the date when the thread was posted. It's not the same game.
Terranigma Freak
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Stryke » Wed May 07, 2008 7:01 pm

Sango 2 English Demo is available on our Downloads page.

Looks like the new demo was uploaded today :P
Stryke
Scholar

Unread postby Mikhail » Wed May 07, 2008 9:05 pm

Stryke wrote:

Sango 2 English Demo is available on our Downloads page.

Looks like the new demo was uploaded today :P

Sweet! I can try it out. I learned that this thing accepts Paypal so if I like it, I might just buy it.
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby Mikhail » Wed May 07, 2008 9:06 pm

Sweet! I can try it out. I learned that this thing accepts Paypal so if I like it, I might just buy it.
Mikhail

Unread postby Arakasi » Wed May 07, 2008 9:26 pm

Downloading it now. Pretty large file (1.3 gigs) but its moving pretty fast. I'll report back here once I have something to say about it.
Arakasi
Initiate

Unread postby Mikhail » Wed May 07, 2008 9:27 pm

Arakasi wrote:Downloading it now. Pretty large file (1.3 gigs) but its moving pretty fast. I'll report back here once I have something to say about it.

Fast for you huh?

Damn. I have 3 hours left on mine at 100kbps.
Mikhail

Unread postby Arakasi » Wed May 07, 2008 9:59 pm

30 seconds left on mine. Took at most 10-15 minutes for it. Than again it is going at over 650 kbps.
Arakasi
Initiate

Unread postby Mikhail » Wed May 07, 2008 10:16 pm

Arakasi wrote:30 seconds left on mine. Took at most 10-15 minutes for it. Than again it is going at over 650 kbps.

Lucky guy. You gotta tell me how that is (Well I guess everyone else is interested in learning about it as well). I'm a huge fan of the Total War series and of course RoTK. If I can finish downloading this before tonight, i'm buying it!
Mikhail

Unread postby Arakasi » Wed May 07, 2008 11:17 pm

Well I tried one scenario so far and got my ass kicked. It is basically a combo of RoTK and Total War. Not as super advanced in total war as the more recent ones, probably best to say more like Shogun Total War.

The basic city/political stuff is pretty much RotKish. You can do alliances and schemes and all that. Btw I was playing as Liu Bei in 194 AD. Yuan Shu was the one who kicked my ass, but part of that was my fault. I did a couple turns and then got invaded by Yuan Shu (and Cao Cao, but it was Yuan Shu's army that beat me)

I formed an army of 6 units and sent it out to meat Yuan Yin's force. He outnumbered me heavily, at least 2 to 1 and more like 3 to 1. Had Liu Bei as archers, his wife, Liao Hua and Zhou Cang as infantry (mostly swordsmen) and Zhang Fei as Cavalry and Guan Yu as spearmen. Pre battle you get a bunch of different formations you can try and you can fit people into each slot. Yuan Yin advanced his army and did it pretty well. He left his main officer with supporting units at his camp (unlike MTW games here you have a camp, and if it gets overrun you're screwed) Liu Bei was defending the camp.

So Yuan Yin sent his forces out. 3 groups of 3 units each. One came to the center, one on each flank. He got close and then waited and did nothing. I sent out Zhou Cang and Guan Yu to attack from the front on the right group while I had Zhang Fei charge from the flank. We routed the 3 units very quickly and one of my generals (Guan Yu I think) took an officers head. However when I did this the other 2 forces plus Yuan Yin's force immediately advanced. Even though I had destroyed their flank, they wiped out Lady Mi and beat the crap out of Liu Bei before I could return. When I do another battle again I'll make sure to keep Lady Mi in the back. She has a strong healing tactic, but I never got the chance to use it. My army routed and we got pummeled. Graphics are solid enough. I don't think you can really change the camera angle, and I've not figured out yet how to pause the battle. But I figure I'll learn how to do that soon enough.

Officers in this game have tactics like they do in RoTK. They can be used limited times each battle. Some of them are things like Fear (drop their morale, Zhang Fei has this), Fire, Heal, Morale (reverse of Fear), False Command (make enemies retreat), Lure (basically attract the enemy to chase the user), Paralyze and of course Wind.

The biggest issue I had was that Liu Bei starts pretty weak in this scenario in Tao Qian's lands and his troop counts are low. Yuan Shu's army was much bigger than mine, and Cao Cao's was probably worse. So when I retry it I will do it with trying to get my troop counts up asap.

Don't quite get the research system, but it seems like there is exclusive techs. From what it suggests it seems like once you commit to going with one tech you go with everything from that tech. I'm not 100% sure since I hadn't learned any of them yet. Some pretty strong abilities though.

Overall though it looks like it has promise. The battles look involving enough and the enemy AI actually seemed pretty decent. Definitely worth exploring the demo at the very least.
Arakasi
Initiate

Unread postby Arakasi » Wed May 07, 2008 11:36 pm

Just did a second battle. Sima Yi attacked by city 3 turns in. I was doing pretty well but I stupidly left my flag undefended again and the enemy got through to me. If I had left Liu Bei there I think I would have won. I was doing pretty well outside the city.
Arakasi
Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games