The ever-moddable Legend of Cao Cao

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

The ever-moddable Legend of Cao Cao

Unread postby Lady Wu » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:01 am

Legend of Cao Cao is probably one of the games that is modded the most into completely different games. I think it's a testimony to the superb programming over at Koei that fans have been able to access the system of the game and create so many new games out of it.

The Lu Bu mod is one of the earliest mods. It kept all the original graphics (except Cao Cao and Xiahou Dun were given a blue version of their sprites, indicating that they're enemy units) and music, but told a completely different story through the script (the story was written completely from scratch). And by mixing up the maps (same battle maps as the original, but in different order) and changing basic stats, battle layout and victory conditions, the mod requires very different strategies from the original game.

However, unbelievable progress was made on LoCC modding in the last few years. I'd like to share a bit about the most recent and popular mod being created in the Chinese forum XYCQ. There's only a dozen or so stages (out of 45 planned?) so far, but they've been excellent and kept me busy for the last few days.

The game is called "The Tale of the Rise of Tang--Stories of Wagang Mountain". It's based on the popular tales about the heroes of the Sui-Tang dynasty era.

It's got new graphics:

A lot of the backgrounds are lifted from other games. Can anyone identify where this background is from?

The "title page" before entering a battle:

The duels look so much nicer now, since the backgrounds for the duel scenes actually reflect where the duels are taking place:

New location backgrounds, plus true-colour portraits! (They used to be 256 colours only, and much smaller.)

Another location. (The portrait is stolen from Fantasia Sango 3 ^_^;; )

Brand-new maps including this naval battle against Japanese pirates:

Actually, they even managed to make the pirates speak Japanese.

Here's a beautiful night battle scene. Note the "lights" around the houses and gates:

A whole host of new sprites:

But the graphics aren't all. The producers have broken some of the previous limits. The soundtrack now boasts 63 tracks instead of the original 21. The number of unit types has doubled:

Available commands in battles have also increased. You can give equipped items to an ally now (like back in Legend of Heroes), use your "super-move" (it eats up your entire MP bar, but it can deal the enemy some heavy damage plus status effects), and do a "surround" attack (just like the skill in RTK10 where all surrounding allies attack a single target, but only the initiating unit gets counterattacked).

Now you can even walk around the map in a semi-free, RPG style! (This makes the game more like Legend of Kongming/Heroes.)

And while walking in town, you may encounter duel events (totally non-existent in the original game; I believe this is a new module).

There's also a ton of new stuff like hidden variables that determines whether someone will join you later in the game (part of it comes from dialogue choices, and part of it comes from whether you let them get defeated in battles).

Those who read Chinese and are interested can check it out here. Sorry, don't expect a translation from me... I'm only posting this to show the cool stuff that's being done to LoCC (this game is really becoming a SLG/RPG hybrid) and to make people drool. ^_^
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Cao Shang » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:15 pm

Looks interesting, I enjoyed the base game already. But the site you posted needs you to register and post 10 times before allowing you to download. :roll:
I would imagine thats hindering most who would want to check it out.
Maybe you should post a direct link to a download here?
Cao Shang
Langzhong

Unread postby WuLordoftheNewAge » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:16 pm

Cao Shang wrote:Looks interesting, I enjoyed the base game already. But the site you posted needs you to register and post 10 times before allowing you to download. :roll:

10 Whole posts!!!
It's not that serious considering you've got 24 (and counting) times that many...
Pang Tong: So I wonder what this place is called?
Sign by road: "Place where Pang Tong gets killed"
Pang Tong: Hmmm... I have a bad feeling about this place...

On Fallen Phoenix Slope.
WuLordoftheNewAge
Langzhong

Unread postby Lady Wu » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:41 pm

Cao Shang wrote:Looks interesting, I enjoyed the base game already. But the site you posted needs you to register and post 10 times before allowing you to download. :roll:

It's not really 10 posts, but you do have to register before downloading from their site---they don't want people to abuse their bandwidth!

You can try this link: http://files.filefront.com/WaGang+08021 ... einfo.html
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby ZhouTai50 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:26 pm

Nice. I'm liking this mod a lot so far. Though, I'm pretty positive I've made some mistakes or missed out on some things thanks to my rather poor understanding of chinese.
ZhouTai50
Sage

Unread postby ufogeek » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:31 am

...The soundtrack now boasts 63 tracks instead of the original 21...

haha, they even have korean tv series daejanggeum OST in there... funny

mod or no mod, i would rather they give credits where they are due, nothing to boast about if they just ripped music from elsewhere and put them here!
ufogeek
Apprentice

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:40 am

ufogeek wrote:mod or no mod, i would rather they give credits where they are due, nothing to boast about if they just ripped music from elsewhere and put them here!

Heh, I know. I'm planning to post about it over there and ask for a complete list of music/art sources, but probably after the whole thing is done.

Though it's really not easy to pick that many suitable tracks for the game. Some of the tracks have also been modified slightly to fit the game. However, sometimes it's hard to keep a straight face when you know where the music is from...
Lady Wu

Unread postby Cao Shang » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:23 am

Lady Wu wrote:

It's not really 10 posts, but you do have to register before downloading from their site---they don't want people to abuse their bandwidth!

You can try this link: http://files.filefront.com/WaGang+08021 ... einfo.html

Well I just read the first message and it said you need at least 10 posts. A link still is appreciated. :roll:
Cao Shang
Langzhong

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:33 am

Cao Shang wrote:Well I just read the first message and it said you need at least 10 posts. A link still is appreciated. :roll:

I guess I wasn't clear. It says you need "10 privilege points" to read the thread, but that doesn't mean 10 posts. I think I only had one or two posts when I accessed the thread. I don't even have 10 posts now.
Lady Wu

Unread postby Cao Shang » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:35 am

Lady Wu wrote:
Cao Shang wrote:Well I just read the first message and it said you need at least 10 posts. A link still is appreciated. :roll:

I guess I wasn't clear. It says you need "10 privilege points" to read the thread, but that doesn't mean 10 posts. I think I only had one or two posts when I accessed the thread. I don't even have 10 posts now.

I just meant that the important thing is the second part: Where it says you need to be logged in to begin with! :wink:
Cao Shang
Langzhong

Next

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games