Legend of Lu Bu (a LoCC mod) Translation--Final Version

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Legend of Lu Bu (a LoCC mod) Translation--Final Version

Unread postby Lady Wu » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:17 am

Legend of Lu Bu is a fan-made mod for Legend of Cao Cao, created by tnu84 of the Xuanyuan Chunqiu (XYCQ) forum in 2005. It features 58 all new levels (though most of the maps are the same, but in different order), a new cast (you play as Lu Bu), and tweaked unit and item characteristics. All of the player-controlled units start at level 40 and stay that way throughout, and in most stages, all player-controlled units must survive the battle or it's considered game over. This adds a new dimension of challenge for veterans of LoCC--meticulous strategic planning, and sometimes some luck, is essential to success in this game. Completion of special in-battle missions may reward you with promotional seals (for class upgrades), which are no longer purchasable from the store. Recovery items are also at a premium; prudent budgeting is required. For those who found LoCC too easy, or who enjoy punishing themselves, this is the game you're looking for.

But what made LoLB a classic and the standard to which all subsequent mods are compared is its script. The plot is tight, the dialogue witty, and the characters human. The story splits into two paths: the tragic Conqueror Path (which should be played first) and the comedic Hero Path (comedic in the sense that the ending is happy... for most people). Unlike in LoCC, where the path is decided through gradual accumulation of "hero points" and "ambition points", in LoLB it is a one-time decision. Is the pursuit of might the only way to save the Han? Or must one's convictions be upheld even if it means giving up on a great opportunity for success? There is no right or wrong answer. However, the consequences of that one-time decision ripple out to create two completely different stories...

To say more is to spoil the game. Just install the game and see for yourself. ;)

-----

Create a new copy of Legend of Cao Cao (you can simply make a copy of your current LoCC folder, if you have one, and rename it). Then download the following packages, unzip, and copy the contents into that new folder and make sure you overwrite all existing files with the new files. Run LoLB.exe (not ekd5, as you would for LoCC).

[Please go to this post for the latest release.]

Optional packages:
Logo File

Blank saves

Saves for each stage

Related threads:

Game guide (a detailed and almost-completed walkthrough is near the end of the thread)

Plot discussion

[Post last updated Nov 14, 2009]
Last edited by Lady Wu on Sat May 03, 2008 5:24 am, edited 13 times in total.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:44 am

*meakly raises hand*

...Though I will most likely cheat.
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby Lady Wu » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:05 am

Sun Gongli wrote:...Though I will most likely cheat.

Shhhh... don't tell the plebes.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby James » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:08 am

*Glances about nervously and raises hand*

Life has been too crazy for these past few months for me to even finish my little Destiny of an Emperor project, but I am very excited about LoCC. Everything you've told me about the Legend of Lü Bu storyline has me intrigued and very interested in trying it out.

Good heavens... and you're willing to consider putting yourself through this again? :shock:
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lady Wu » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:26 am

James wrote:Good heavens... and you're willing to consider putting yourself through this again? :shock:

I, uh, never seem to learn. :x

But I did get about a tenth of the dialogues translated, so it'd be a waste if I don't do it. And this time I'm going to pace myself and <s>rope</s> recruit more people to help.

And if I can get a few volunteers to help importing the text (relatively mechanical procedure since there's an editor for this purpose, but does require ability to recognize Chinese names and stuff), it'd make things go a lot faster. But either way, I'd pace myself this time round (I actually am in the rudimentary stages of having a life. :shock:).
Lady Wu

Unread postby Ocelot » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:52 am

I'm willing to help as long as someone tells me how I can easily pass most of the hard work off to someone else. :wink: :lol:
Ocelot
Apprentice

Unread postby WuLordoftheNewAge » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:55 pm

I'd totally test for you! I are teh l337 beta tester lolz. That's enough of that...
I really don't have anything else I can do 'cause I sprained my hand so I can't even enjoy my new DW 6 (YAY!!!) and besides, I feel like I owe you, Lady Wu, for one of my current fave past times and my signature so it's my duty as a scholar to test this game. Also, w/o testers this process would take so much longer would it not?
Pang Tong: So I wonder what this place is called?
Sign by road: "Place where Pang Tong gets killed"
Pang Tong: Hmmm... I have a bad feeling about this place...

On Fallen Phoenix Slope.
WuLordoftheNewAge
Langzhong

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:11 pm

I won't likely have the time to help test, but I'm certainly interested in the finished product.

Yay! I get the first selfish answer! Now I'll get Special Thanks for this game too. ;)
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby EmperorWu » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:38 pm

If there is anything a simpleton with no experience like me can do I'd be glad to help. I've test a few games before but those were all browser based so I imagine this is an entirely different animal.
EmperorWu
Assistant

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:29 am

Man, I got all the data files and most of the exe done today, and then I messed up and destroyed the exe. Didn't have a backup. (Why don't I ever learn?) So I have to work on the exe from scratch again. :(

BUT!

Before I did whatever foolish thing I did, I managed to get a bunch of lovely screenshots. The first two stages are done.

Ding Yuan laments the state of the realm:

A rebel knowing that Lu Bu will kick his butt:

Enter Zang Ba:

Does this scene look familiar (to those of who who've played LoCC)?

Lu Bu trying (very hard!) to explain the state of the realm to Zang Ba:

In which Dong Zhuo is not pleased:

Dong Zhuo has the best officers:
Lady Wu

Next

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games