Destiny of an Emperor 2.0 (Version 1.1 Released!)

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Destiny of an Emperor 2.0 (Version 1.1 Released!)

Unread postby James » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:06 am

I’ve decided this is going to be distinct from the “What Really Happened” patch, so I might as well give it its own thread. My goal is to remake Destiny of an Emperor from start to finish to make it a ‘better’ game all the way through—and for folks like us, that also means making it more challenging.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Destiny of an Emperor 2.0 v. 1.1

Download Version 1.1

Official Home Page: Destiny of an Emperor 2.0

Playing and Testing This Release
Welcome to the first major revision of Destiny of an Emperor 2.0. The planned adjustments have been made across the whole game and steps have been taken to improve game balance and enjoyability. Still, if you are interested, feedback about your experience form start to finish of the game would be highly appreciated. If an area is too easy or too hard, please tell me about it. Can you think of any additional measures that might be taken to improve the experience? Please share them! I'm planning to make one more final revision once I've had enough feedback from people.

Release Notes
Destiny of an Emperor 2.0 version 1.1 features major changes across the game. We break from the traditional Destiny of an Emperor platform by adjusting the role played by weapons, tactics, and officers. Your party now has access to more powerful allies (especially later in the game), a greater variety in tacticians for new battle strategies and cheaper access to the most powerful damage tactics. On the other hand, level progression has been altered to restore game balance. Due to this, enemy armor and soldier levels have been dropped in many areas, making battle less chaotic. For a more detailed list of what has been changed see below. Oh, and let's not forget some new surprises, and, now truly a part of the game, Wang the Tiger!

• Weapon Attack Power Adjustments
  • Tactics Learned and Stored Differently
  • More Than Two End-of-Game Tactic Strategies
  • Greater Differences Between Strategists
  • A Greater Assortment of End-Game Allies
  • Tactic Costs Adjusted (Fire and Water Tactics More Accessible)
  • New Enemies, New Battle Surprises!
  • Level Progression Adjustments
  • Enemy Soldier and AC Adjustments
  • New Game Balance Adjustments and Challenges
  • Wang the Tiger!
I hope you enjoy the game! Please share feedback and stories with us as you play!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sima Yi: Final Battle

Random Encounter

I’ve decided to do it from the end to the beginning, making each battle harder or more interesting in some way. I’ve taken out many fake officers (though the likes of Song Yong, Song Ren, Yang Jin, Huo Hu; they’ll never be removed) or useless officers and replaced them with other interesting characters from history. So far, I’ve managed to do it without abbreviating any times, though sometimes that involves shuffling more than a few officers around in a stage.

I’m also going to include plenty of goodies!

How many people have played Destiny of an Emperor? How many would be interested in changing anything they encountered in the game? This is everyone’s chance to contribute thoughts on the matter as I’m basically going to try to make this as fun as possible for any who are up to the challenge.
Last edited by James on Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:21 am, edited 31 times in total.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:06 am

First question! I’ve been thinking about making certain interesting characters, such as Zhou Yu, playable in terms of receiving level-ups. I would probably do this with most portrait-based characters you can recruit along the way. This would allow you to customize your party with much more flexibility than you might have ever hoped to before.

What does everyone think?

I’m not sure about some people like Pang Tong. Part of their value lies in the amount of troops they hold going into a new area where you need a meat shield. Though it would open up interesting windows to have a person like him in your party as you traveled through Wu.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:50 am

I just finished Wu!

With Wei and Wu out of the way, I estimate I’m more than half-way finished, and the rest should be much easier to work through.

Random Encounter

Father and Son

Lu Kang, a new officer...

Zhou Yu!

Gan Ji is not to be trifled with...
Image Image Image
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:15 am

Wang the Tiger!
Image Image Image
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:08 pm

Haha, Wang, nice! This looks cool.

I just want to know what you're going to do with Xu Shu (whatever his broken DoaE name is... I forget).
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Lordyuanshu » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:21 pm

Xu Zhe aka Dan Fu. I bet it'd be too tough to mess with him since he comes and goes during such specific times during the story.

Somehow I knew Wang would be involved once you had the power to figure out how to get him in battle :lol:
Lordyuanshu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Terranigma Freak » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:17 pm

Hey James, do you think you can give me a hand with my project? It's nothing big, but I myself am hacking DOE2 and I've come across a minor problem. For some reason, I can't set the enemy's HP to anything higher than 10,000. No matter what value I put in, it's stuck at 10,000. The Japanese hackers were able to break that barrier, but I don't know how. I found the HP values, I just can't figure out why it can't go any higher.
Terranigma Freak
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:17 pm

I'm just upset that good ol' Wang is a bad guy. We could sure use his help. :(
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Lordyuanshu » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:16 pm

Liu Bei's army has been overcome by Wang.
Lordyuanshu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:17 pm

I love the fact that a tiger is more intelligent and commands more human soldiers than many of Liu Bei's subordinates.
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Next

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games