Destiny of an Emperor 2.0 (Version 1.1 Released!)

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:55 pm

He Man
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:55 pm

How can you tinker with the Yellow Turbans without finding room for He Man, the Devil Who Shoots Across The Sky? ;)
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:56 pm

Xiahou Mao wrote:How can you tinker with the Yellow Turbans without finding room for He Man, the Devil Who Shoots Across The Sky? ;)

Great minds think alike. ;)
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:20 am

It might actually be a better idea to try to work Pei Yuanshao in as an ally later. Cheng Yuanzhi has a more important role towards the three brothers, even if it is just to be killed in the first chapter or whatever.

Putting Liao Hua and Chen Dao in to replace people like Zhou Chao would be awesome.
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby James » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:17 am

Lordyuanshu wrote:Sounds good. And I think Zheng Mao = Deng Mao.

Ah, that must be it!
I think this is the first time Capcom messed up adding an extra character!

Kong Wen wrote:He Man

Xiahou Mao wrote:How can you tinker with the Yellow Turbans without finding room for He Man, the Devil Who Shoots Across The Sky? ;)

Gods! You people were not supposed to encourage this! I was trying so hard to avoid putting He Man somewhere because I knew I would do something insane with him. I’ve seriously considered replacing Ma Yuanyi with him, and making him all super-powered—so powerful that you’d have to come back later in the game to defeat him.

I even considered adding a hypen to his name…

And I’m still sorely tempted!

By the way, Rob…

I created a special present in the game for you. :P

Sun Gongli wrote:It might actually be a better idea to try to work Pei Yuanshao in as an ally later. Cheng Yuanzhi has a more important role towards the three brothers, even if it is just to be killed in the first chapter or whatever.

Pei Yuanshao’s name is too darn huge. I think the only way I can work him in is if I replace Cheng Yuanzhi. My motives are not good, of course. Pei Yuanshao is one of those legendary characters who is so loved by many just because he is so strange. You might not pick up on it in history, but that portrait Koei gave him has turned him into something beyond what people read about. SimRTK players know this all too well!

And he sure would make a fun ally!

Maybe I have to make a version of the game for folks who don’t like strange stuff. They won’t be able to ravage the countryside with a newly recruited Pei Yuanshao, and they won’t ever become one with Wang. Cheng Yuanzhi will be owned by them and Pang Tong will boldly lead them into Ba-Shu. :)

Sun Gongli wrote:Putting Liao Hua and Chen Dao in to replace people like Zhou Chao would be awesome.

Liao Hua will make an appearance. I would like to be generous with his stats but I should be a little careful given how early he will join up with the party. Chen Dao—that would be a good allied character. I wish there were officers joining up around the Ba-Shu region—at that point in the game you aren’t meeting people in cities anymore. I only get to give away a handful of people… :(
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:50 am

Oh, I have no problem with PYS being in the game whatsoever. You may have to punctuate his name, simply because since the game focuses on Liu Bei, Guan Yu, and Zhang Fei, I would think the first parts would include the first people slain by them in battle (Gao Sheng, Cheng Yuanzhi, and Deng Mao). So I have no problem with PYS being in - I'm just suggesting that you punctuate his name some how. Ugly, yes, but you could probably safely eliminate Ma Yuan Yi and get P Yuanshao.

For me, it's just a matter of preference. I know about PYS's legendary status, but I feel that putting him with any avatar besides his glorious, beautiful bald head would be a travesty.
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby James » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:23 am

Dong Zhuo’s region is complete aside form some possible city-roaming officer editing. Because Huo Hu, Liu Feng, Guan Ping and Yang Jin are safe this is a minor task. Zhou Chao will probably be replaced as he has no business serving Liu Bei, but I don’t want to do anything too terribly special as he vanishes from games more frequently than he appears. I may replace him with Guan Suo, seeing as Capcom was kind enough to give him stats, an avatar, and a portrait.

I’ve done a lot of work in Zhang Jue’s territory now. The big nasties have been completed and I’ve updated Chen Deng, Mi Zhu, Song Yong, and Song Ren. All that remains is to determine what might be done with Zh[D]eng Mao, Ma Yuanyi, and Cheng Yuanzhi.

Liao Hua? He has replaced Han Zhong. Enjoy!

I know people love Liao Hua. Feedback is welcome. :)

And certainly looking for ideas on some of these officers.

Sun Gongli wrote:Oh, I have no problem with PYS being in the game whatsoever. You may have to punctuate his name, simply because since the game focuses on Liu Bei, Guan Yu, and Zhang Fei, I would think the first parts would include the first people slain by them in battle (Gao Sheng, Cheng Yuanzhi, and Deng Mao). So I have no problem with PYS being in - I'm just suggesting that you punctuate his name some how. Ugly, yes, but you could probably safely eliminate Ma Yuan Yi and get P Yuanshao.

I’ve managed to go through the whole game now without abbreviating a single name (well, except for Tig. Wang). It would be a shame to start with Pei Yuanshao! Oddly enough, I think He Man’s place is over Ma Yuanyi. It just seems where He Man belongs. It is a shame on one hand to lose Cheng Yuanzhi—how can you not remember the guy?—but bringing in ol’ Pei Yuanshao comes with plenty of its own glory!

I’m going to be working around with that next.

Sun Gongli wrote:For me, it's just a matter of preference. I know about PYS's legendary status, but I feel that putting him with any avatar besides his glorious, beautiful bald head would be a travesty.

I have to agree with you on that point—it is going to be hard to make Pei Yuanshao without a shiny bald head. I’m hoping I can create a character that looks insane enough to pass for him. That will be an important element for whether or not I place him in the game. Then we’ll all get a chance to discuss it!
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:36 am

Pei Yuanshao's always been a legendary figure in my RTK games, shiny bald head or no, just because of his odd name. (My RTK-playing friends and I used to muse that his name meant "fake Yuan Shao".) Hu Che Er (or whatever they call him in the games) has a similar status. But that said, I won't be too sad if he doesn't make it into this game.

I do think He Man would be a worthy addition, and you could always make yourself believe you're not going overboard simply by not using a hyphen and not overpowering him. He should be about as strong as Cao Hong.

I hope by "updating" Song Yong and Song Ren, you don't mean they got better stats. :( They are legends precisely because of their terribleness.

Now that you're at the beginning of the game, how soon until we get to play it?! :D
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby James » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:33 pm

Kong Wen wrote:Pei Yuanshao's always been a legendary figure in my RTK games, shiny bald head or no, just because of his odd name. (My RTK-playing friends and I used to muse that his name meant "fake Yuan Shao".) Hu Che Er (or whatever they call him in the games) has a similar status. But that said, I won't be too sad if he doesn't make it into this game.

I’ll make him and maybe we can have a poll or something. Haha.

Kong Wen wrote:I do think He Man would be a worthy addition, and you could always make yourself believe you're not going overboard simply by not using a hyphen and not overpowering him. He should be about as strong as Cao Hong.

Aww... I also thought how much fun it would be to give him 240 attack power and 200 defense (like Sima Yi). He would have normal soldiers, but you’d have to get lucky killing him with Lian Huo. He would chop officers down in a single blow! I suspect he would slow quickly with some Lian Huos pounding in, though.

Kong Wen wrote:I hope by "updating" Song Yong and Song Ren, you don't mean they got better stats. :( They are legends precisely because of their terribleness.

They were boosted for a short while but then it just started to feel… wrong. I was boosting people like Chen Deng and Mi Zhu just a little bit (to compensate for the gradual improvement in characters from beginning to end that existed in the regular game) and included others in the process. Song Yong and Song Ren will retain their suck. I felt particularly bad for poor Song Yong, though. Song Ren is truly terrible, and he is horribly slow, but Song Yong is worse in just about every single way. Poor guy!

Kong Wen wrote:Now that you're at the beginning of the game, how soon until we get to play it?! :D

I’m going to start on it again now! It may be ready pretty soon. Latest would be about a week, and that would require some pretty busy distractions cropping up in my life.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:45 am

James wrote: You might not pick up on it in history, but that portrait Koei gave him has turned him into something beyond what people read about. SimRTK players know this all too well!

You know, it is still my avatar here.. I imagine non-SimRTK players in this thread are still aware of what happened, even while they might not be aware of the letter-devouring specifics of Pei's activity on SimRTK itself. ;)
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games