Destiny of an Emperor 2.0 (Version 1.1 Released!)

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:11 pm

(Bring Yuan Shu's STR down to 199...)
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Lordyuanshu » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:22 pm

Kong Wen wrote:(Bring Yuan Shu's STR down to 199...)

Negative. Keep STR, make INT > 200
Lordyuanshu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:27 pm

I'm translating Hua Xin's SGZ bio on the fly here (and I can't get everything), but basically, he was a government official in the capital during Dong Zhuo's reign before being sent to what would soon be Yuan Shu's territory after Dong's death. There, he was detained by Yuan Shu, who wanted to force him to serve, but instead, Ma Ridi appointed Hua Xin into Liu You's service as administrator of Yuzhang, but after Liu You's death, he feared both the power of Sun Ce and the ambition of Tong Zhi, his rebellious rival. After being convinced to surrender to Sun Ce, he was revered by Sun Ce almost as a father. After Sun Ce's death, Hua Xin had no more personal connection to Jiangdong, made his excuses, and left back for the capital, where Cao Cao accepted him with open arms.

Basically, putting Hua Xin with Yuan Shu doesn't make sense simply because Hua Xin didn't even like Yuan Shu. He was more suited to Sun Ce (who is dead when you fight Wu, I'm assuming) and then to Wei.
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby Terranigma Freak » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:23 pm

Kong Wen wrote:He lost to Guan Yu in 30 bouts and lost to Zhang Fei (who killed him) in less than 10.

I'm talking in the novel, he actually tied with Guan Yu for 20 bouts. It never said Guan Yu defeated him. Although after they went to rest, Ji Ling didn't renew the challenge and sent out some other idiot who got killed. Ji Ling was killed by Zhang Fei though.

But to put all that into perspective, Yan Liang and Wen Chou didn't last 20 bouts with Guan Yu. Hell, Yan Liang didn't even last a single bout.

This is strictly the novel of course.
Terranigma Freak
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:00 pm

Terranigma Freak wrote:I'm talking in the novel, he actually tied with Guan Yu for 20 bouts. It never said Guan Yu defeated him. Although after they went to rest, Ji Ling didn't renew the challenge and sent out some other idiot who got killed.

I'm talking novel, too. :) CHBT's translation says that neither had an advantage after thirty bouts. This is from Mossy's translation: "After thirty bouts, Ji Ling called it off, and Lord Guan rejoined his line." That's a loss in my book; even though he didn't get killed or unhorsed, he's the one who retreated and ended the duel.

But technicalities aside, I think we're on the same page with respect to his ability. He went toe to toe with Guan Yu for thirty bouts. Not many other generals in the novel (other than the big names) could say the same.

EDIT: I'm with Sun Gongli. If there's anyway to have Hua Xin somewhere other than with Yuan Shu, that'd be cool. He was Yuan Shu's prisoner, not his servant. :(
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:17 pm

Ji Ling didn't call it off; he just wanted a time out.

一連三十合,不分勝負。紀靈大叫少歇

少歇 means "rest for a bit". Maybe he did want to call it off (as suggested by his sending poor Xun Zheng out afterwards), but if he was clearly losing, I doubt very much that Guan Yu would let him go just like that.
Last edited by Lady Wu on Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Terranigma Freak » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:25 pm

Yup, that's the same thing in my version, and also on the radio.

See, I don't dislike Yan Liang and Wen Chou, but I just find it odd that they're so highly rated yet Ji Ling almost never gets a power over 90 in the games. I know Yan Liang and Wen Chou done more compared to Ji Ling, but even Hua Xiong gets 90 or better and he's done less than Ji Ling.
Terranigma Freak
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:53 pm

*whines at seeing Jia Xu's SimRTK stats of 91 Leadership* So overrated. :( But oh well, that's what we're working on fixing for the next version.
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby James » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:01 pm

Hua Xin will be moved. I’m probably going to put him in Wei.

That good Liu fellow will replace him in Yuan Shu’s territory.

Not much is going to change in Dong Zhuo’s territory.
Officers will become meaner and a few may be remade, but I don’t think I’ll really be introducing any new officers or moving people around.

Zhang Jue’s territory, however—this place has potential! I’m going to have to work in Pei Yuanshao, of course. The only person he can replace is Cheng Yuanzhi. I don’t know who Zheng Mao is—or I’ve forgotten.

I’m thinking about working Liao Hua in, and he can become an ally.
Maybe he can replace Han Zhong and help you out?

I’ve thought about replacing less wonderful allied characters such as Zhou Chao with other Liu Bei sympathizers along the way. Favorites like Yang Jin and Huo Hu will not be touched, though, and Song Yong and Song Ren will likely also emerge unscathed. They are DoaE legends.

Feedback desired!
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lordyuanshu » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:10 pm

Sounds good. And I think Zheng Mao = Deng Mao.
Lordyuanshu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games