Destiny of an Emperor 2.0 (Version 1.1 Released!)

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: Destiny of an Emperor 2.0 (Version 1.1 Released!)

Unread postby James » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:09 am

Tarrot wrote:Random question: What is the max level for your party? I'm at 47 right now, I'll most likely hit 48 just before I hit 999,999 exp, so unless you're going over that cap for exp for the next couple of levels, or you do something like 1 exp for 49 and 50, I'll be left with 49 as a max level. Considering Taishi Ci is my top HP guy at the moment with just over 30k, having Lu Xun be variable wouldn't really be game breaking in this instance.

Here are the level requirements for Destiny of an Emperor 2.0. You'll reach level 50 at 1225674 experience. I was originally worried about this because I knew level 51 set the experience value to 999999, but I actually found the value for level 51 and changed it to support higher values. So you're okay—you'll keep gaining experience and levels normally after you clear 999999!

Tarrot wrote:Ce Mian actually I thought was at its original level TP wise (or a minor increase).

I increased it by 1 TP. I think the regular cost is 16 TP and it currently costs 17 TP.

Tarrot wrote:On tactics: The only battles I've seen so far where the use of the Fire/Water tactics would've been of great use were the two Cao Pi battles, which thier use would've made a little more interesting and a little easier. I think, especially with Sima Yi's 60k guys, that its not that useful when you run into Sima with Jia Chong or whoever he has for his second battle (I forget the tactician off hand), since you want the rebels there to eat a revive if he casts one earlier than you anticipate before the big burn phase.

Interesting point. Then again, those two battles are a little more manageable so the extra damage leveled by Huo Shen and Shui Long might be worthwhile when combined with Ce Mian. I guess you can enjoy either approach depending on the cost of the involved tactics.

Tarrot wrote:Zhang Liao: Finally picked him up in a random battle. I also picked up Hao Zhao and Hua Xin (who I swear I didn't fight in Wei, though I may have forgot about them in either gate battles or a random general under one of the Xiahou's) after Cao Pi's death.

Hua Xin... he should have been at He Nei Gate, before Cao Pi. Zhang Liao is a badass. I've used him every single time I've played Destiny of an Emperor 2.0. He's just about as good as Zhao Yun.

Tarrot wrote:If you could change items completely and/or add items in, having new items (like a Resurrect B or C or something), or super-powered items (like an Elixir E that costs 15,000 gold and restores 10k soldiers) could be a nice money sink for some battles.

That would be awesome, but it is well beyond my skill level in ROM hacking.
I'm not sure there's anybody else modding DoaE with that level of knowledge either.

Tarrot wrote:Also, a shock to me, but I ran out of food going through the game. This is the first time that's happened to me since I played the original. I proceeded to spend 200k gold on food so I should be good through the rest of the game.

That happened to me once, too! I thought it was pretty cool, actually. It is probably because you've got to spend some time leveling again (which can be pretty much ignored with enough experience playing the original). Also, you've got some somewhat higher troop totals with allied officers and you're higher level through most of the game as well. Interestingly you also get more food after battles.

Anyway, that's a good thing!
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Tarrot » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:45 pm

Finally conquered Jin castle. I had to reload like 3 or 4 times because I kept getting upset that Deng Ai and Zhong Hui were evading every single turn (I had multiple instances of both of them, with evade up, casting evade). It just got so frustrating that I said "Zhuge, kill them." And he proceded to An Sha Xun Yu and Deng Ai while Lu Xun picked up Zhong Hui. I'm at the Jia Xu gate battle where I don't think the An Sha tactic will work (I've tried it and been unsuccessful on a couple reloads doing it against Jia Xu, not sure if its bad luck or if he's immune for some reason). In any case, ought to hopefully finish the last battles tomorrow night.

Couple more random things:

1: Another possibility for items, might be to raise the use of Elixir whatevers and raise their price if their healing value could be found. Such, actually make Elixir D's that heal 10,000 HP for 10,000 gold or something (now useful in Wei)

2: Cheng Yuanzhi has two spaces between the Cheng and Yuanzhi. I know this because I let him go then did the cave trick to get through the Wei caves and ran into him a ton and saw how he would always have different spacings with his name.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:51 pm

Cheng Yuanzhi needs the spacing in his name like that, or else it won't read right. He'll display as Cheng Y uanzhi.

Oh, and I have to ask.. what happened to Pei Yuan Shao? Wasn't he supposed to be featured somehow? ;)
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby James » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:12 pm

Tarrot wrote:Finally conquered Jin castle. I had to reload like 3 or 4 times because I kept getting upset that Deng Ai and Zhong Hui were evading every single turn (I had multiple instances of both of them, with evade up, casting evade). It just got so frustrating that I said "Zhuge, kill them." And he proceded to An Sha Xun Yu and Deng Ai while Lu Xun picked up Zhong Hui. I'm at the Jia Xu gate battle where I don't think the An Sha tactic will work (I've tried it and been unsuccessful on a couple reloads doing it against Jia Xu, not sure if its bad luck or if he's immune for some reason). In any case, ought to hopefully finish the last battles tomorrow night.

Yeah, the Xun Yu battle is pretty mean unless you get very lucky with An Sha.

Tarrot wrote:1: Another possibility for items, might be to raise the use of Elixir whatevers and raise their price if their healing value could be found. Such, actually make Elixir D's that heal 10,000 HP for 10,000 gold or something (now useful in Wei)

You know... it might be possible to find those values...

Tarrot wrote:2: Cheng Yuanzhi has two spaces between the Cheng and Yuanzhi. I know this because I let him go then did the cave trick to get through the Wei caves and ran into him a ton and saw how he would always have different spacings with his name.

Cheng Yuanzhi is a pain. His name doesn't fit right. I can either go with what they did in the original and have his name broken up, or I can do something like this and allow his name to at least display properly in battle. It goes outside text boundaries in things like billeting, but that's not too big a deal. He's not exactly good party material.

Xiahou Mao wrote:Oh, and I have to ask.. what happened to Pei Yuan Shao? Wasn't he supposed to be featured somehow? ;)

I did have him in the game earlier. Hmm...
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Tarrot » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:17 pm

And while you're here or around, do you know where exactly the Destiny of an Editor tool is? I'm sure if I dug through the forum I could find it but I'm off to bed on this side of the globe and I'll probably forget to look for it tomorrow. I'm thinking in Wei, there's going to be a nice narrow strip of guys who avoid the 180-190 range which could work for retaining Guard through Wu and Wei.

*edit*

Nevermind, found it myself, going through and figuring out who is in the 180 - 190 range, only listing people who fit in Wu or Wei..

Chen Deng (182)
Guo Huai (189) (Wei)
Mi Zhu (188)
Wen Pin (180) (Wei)
Xiahou Mao (180) (Wei)
Xiahou Yuan (180) (Wei)
Zhang He (185) (Wei)
Zhu Huan (182) (Wu)
Zhu Zhi (182) (Wu)

Of note: Assuming I'm reading the DOAEditor right, Zhu Zhi, Zhu Huan, Xiahou Mao, and Wen Pin already have Guard and don't have Evade or Negate. I can double check later for those in Shu with it if you want, but I'm thinking it could possibly be worked into that corridor without too much of a hassle and allow potentially a different end-game strategist if I can work my math right.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tarrot » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:46 am

Another question, is the multiple level gain at Level 50 intentional (ie; going from 50 --> 52 when you hit that mark) and like a side-thing if you took the time to get that far or not?
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:09 am

Keep in mind, while looking at the editor, that the highest tactic known is not always known by the officer. You can read it as the highest tactic known if their intelligence is high enough to know it.

Tarrot wrote:Another question, is the multiple level gain at Level 50 intentional (ie; going from 50 --> 52 when you hit that mark) and like a side-thing if you took the time to get that far or not?

Haha... nope! That wouldn't be intended. Looks like I may have a pretty nasty problem to work around if I want to use higher-scale experience requirements. Can you explain in greater detail exactly what happened there?
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Tarrot » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:55 am

Really not that much detail to give. I was fighting Cheng Yu, I hit the mark to hit level 50, and then it gave me two bonus levels on top of it. Went back to the save area, no notice of being able to get to a higher level, went and got up to level 53 from the sage in Ji.

Also, random questions so I can try to fiddle around with some stuff some more (not actual hacking, but more finding where an ideal range would be).

1: What is the Int required to pick up the Guard skill? That way I'd know how far I'd have to drop it and the range of officers who would come to learn it and I could account for them.

2: What's the int requirement for Recover? Looking back at my officers, Chen Deng and Mi Zhu only have Salve, so for this to be of use into early Wu, I'd want to try to find a range again to encompass both.

3: What's the int requirement for Revive? Theoretically, I want to see if its possible that Guard could be an end-game strategy with a healing option.

4: Just a random thing: Using the DOAEditor, I saw Chen Gong had variable troop level ups. Was that just something left in there or something planned for later on you never did?
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tarrot » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:52 pm

And another thing, on the last battle:

I don't mind the 3 guys with Behead, the one tactic I really fear, so to speak. I don't mind 3 guys with evade which pretty much means I'll be able to attack one round in 20. I don't mind the 4 guys with Revive which means I have to time my thwarts really, really well and get lucky that they last for more than 1 round.

But really. You just had to include a guy who has ****ing Guard in his tactic list?

*Edit*

Beat the battle, I'll say its impossible without abusing savestate reloads, in particular because of the Guard skill. After 4 zeals to 4 Power Pill bombers, I was left with 88 TP, which left me with 4 Ce Mians and 4 Miracles, one Ce Mian per Revive general. One Guard could ruin the battle (as well as a negate from any of the 4 who had it, although at least that's counterable a little with Jiang Wei as the head), and make it impossible to get them to low enough health to bomb them with power pills (I had to worry about Sima Yi reviving at 30,000 HP, and started my "Bomb" assault at 20,000 HP, no way with normal non-zealed attacks I could've got him down to 10, much less had the TP for a Ce Mian). I was tempted to do an An Sha battle and take out the 4 others and then hopefully get lucky with Sima Yi, but I don't think that would've had much luck.

Suggestion: Zombie Lu Bu. Give him 255 Weapon, like 230 armor, and then you got a guy whose hitting for a lot of health each turn who will take forever to wear down who you pretty much have to leave until last unless you want to use TP doubting him, which most likely won't happen.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:11 pm

If 'Zombie Lu Bu' doesn't fit the bill, you could try adding Wen Yang instead. I haven't seen him yet. Given the stats most of the other Wei officers are given in-game (who is Hu Fen, anyway? Why does Zhong Hui have higher Str than Xiahou Dun?), you could certainly put Wen Yang in for the final battle at 250+ Str and 255 AP to bludgeon people alongside the strategist army.
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games