Destiny of an Emperor 2.0 (Version 1.1 Released!)

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:14 am

How easy is it to change text on the ROM? I assume you are limited to making things just as long (or shorter) than the original, right?
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby James » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:48 am

Lady Wu wrote:How easy is it to change text on the ROM? I assume you are limited to making things just as long (or shorter) than the original, right?

Yeah—without teaching myself how to dump the text and writing a table. That stuff gets pretty darn advanced. What makes the text even harder is the fact it isn’t even stored in plain text. Say an officer says, "You dare invade Jingzhou? Die!" You, dare, invade, Jingzhou, and Die may all be hexadecimal references to a list of words. That way they can use 'die' over and over again at the cost of only one character. It makes it very confusing to work with the text for me. I hope to make some changes later, though. Niahak knows a little more about this stuff than I do.

When I’m done, I want the battle in which you fight Wang to open up with something like "Rawr!" and, when complete, to end with "Rowr? Wang joined them!" or something along those lines. I was having trouble even finding certain conversation snippets...
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:54 am

James wrote:Say an officer says, "You dare invade Jingzhou? Die!" You, dare, invade, Jingzhou, and Die may all be hexadecimal references to a list of words. That way they can use 'die' over and over again at the cost of only one character.

That's awful. I could see it being useful, though (man, I wish something like that can be implemented in the LoCC hack to save space).
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby James » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:58 am

Lady Wu wrote:That's awful. I could see it being useful, though (man, I wish something like that can be implemented in the LoCC hack to save space).

Actually, each reference uses two characters. One determines where a space takes place: before, after, or both. It is a very cool concept—one that could easily be used to create detailed conversations with only a little space, but it sure makes editing a lot more painful than it would have otherwise had to be...
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:09 am

Jingzhou is finished!

I replaced Pang Tong with Wang!

Niahak, do you have any idea where Pang Tong’s scripts are? I would like to replace them with some Wangrific conversation. It is tough to find!

Random Encounter!

Xingdao Rong (Rather than Xing Da orong)

Wang the Tiger
Image Image Image Image Image Image

How does Wang look? He has the same soldiers as Huang Zhong—oddly enough, that makes him feel like the party pet. But his stats and agility make him a pretty reliable ally. He’s going to be much worse to defeat. I expect he will kill party members automatically with each hit so Li Jian/Yi Xin (maybe Ji Rou) will have to be used to defeat him. Resurrects will help.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:49 am

I just resisted a temptation to add Zhen Ji to the battle with Yuan Xi. Haha...
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:51 am

To be honest, I'll kind of miss Pang Tong. Perhaps it's possible to add him at an earlier point, but he won't be stupid and keep on attacking you?
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby James » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:12 am

Sun Gongli wrote:To be honest, I'll kind of miss Pang Tong. Perhaps it's possible to add him at an earlier point, but he won't be stupid and keep on attacking you?

Hmm… for the most part, Pang Tong either appears in that battle, or not much at all (there’s nobody else in the region with a nine-character name to swap him with). I can always add him to a castle giving you the ability to recruit him after another random encounter, but that is far too strange to work out. Wang, on the other hand, can be swapped out for Ma Liang or Ma Su. You won’t get to enjoy a crazy-ass battle with Wang before he joins you, but he would still be in the game.

An alternative would be to place Wang in the Changsha battle with Han Xuan. He would replace Yang Ling. He would also make that battle crazy-freckin'-insane-hard. Wei Yan and Huang Zhong are already a handful together. It would be funny to go inside and hear the lady saying, "This is my pet tiger, Wang! Sick em', Wang! Haha..." afterward, though. You could then pick him up after another battle in the wilds.

Or he could be Jin Xuan's pet, guarding the entrance to Jingzhou.

Or there could be a Pang Tong edition, and a Wang edition.

Hmm…

I would honestly like feedback on this!
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:00 am

I can’t find any way to move Wen Chou around without mucking some things around. If he stays, the best I can do to his name is call him Wen Chu. If I move him over Yuan Tan, Yuan Tan becomes recruitable and Wen Chou becomes unrecruitable. I could put him on Ji Zhou’s first gate, but that is a little anti-climactic. Him and Guo Tu at the second gate wouldn’t be too interesting. I could paste him over Zhang He and do something else with Zhang He, but then he’d be unrecruitable...

I could put him at the entrance—at Bo Hai castle. That might actually work out a little. I could keep Shen Pei there and replace Gao Lan with someone worthwhile. We’d have a pretty nasty opening battle in that castle. It would be nice to have a few other six or less character officers to use...
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Terranigma Freak » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:42 pm

Wang... the tiger... Why not make a "wang" graphic for it instead? :lol:
Terranigma Freak
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games