Destiny of an Emperor 2.0 (Version 1.1 Released!)

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Unread postby James » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:45 am

Lady Wu wrote:James, I'm not making a mod. If I were... well, let's just say, be glad I'm not. I'm just translating the game. I can't get away with altering the text or the characters, and throwing in the occasional cheezburger is all I could do. :(

Yeah… it is crazy. :(

It gets even worse now that I’ve pondered changing text...

Lady Wu wrote:I'm in support of having Wang eat Pang Tong.

Poor Pang Tong!

Kong Wen wrote:
James wrote:You know, Kong Wen… I could make a version for you in which Xu Shu joins again? :lol:

Custom Kong Wen DoaE!? I don't even know how I would handle it. It would be like divine payback for when my NES cart stopped working and erased all my saves.

When I’m done with the main game I’ll make a second version in which Xu Shu replaces Ma Liang. It will be a little odd seeing Xu Shu giving Xu Shu advice during Jingzhou, but after Xu Shu (or even a little before) you should be able to get Xu Shu again. That Xu Shu will receive level-ups and will be able to serve in your party for the rest of the game! :)

Kong Wen wrote:EDIT: Wang eating Pang Tong is a good idea, given that you've said this isn't going to be your "what really happened" game.

Haha… my “What Really Happened” hack is anything but. In that version, Huo Hu leads Song Yong, Song Ren, Zhou Chao, Yang Jin, Chen Deng, and Mi Zhe to conquer China. Each of them gains level-ups and Huo Hu is replaced with ‘Lord Huo Hu’, Huo Hu on steroids. Lord Huo Hu will remain in this other version of the game too. Just because Huo Hu is that cool.

I can’t wait for Huo Hu and Wang the Tiger to lead my party through China!

Niahak wrote:I've got a tool for hacking DoaE officers I made over the past week. It's still in beta, but I think there are only a couple more things I want to iron out before the official release. James has already helped a lot with its development in his investigation of the gears behind DoaE.

I was tempted to try it out just now, but all I could find was a download link for the Alpha version. Is there a newer version available for download? I think it would save me some considerable time but I don’t want to risk any bugs damaging things. :)
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Niahak » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:33 am

Actually, the screenshot is of the Alpha (with a spiffy icon, changed title, and removed debug-button). That's as far as I've gotten.

So far I haven't heard of any bugs, though - one crash when someone opened a read-only file with it, but that's it. The only fix I could think of that I'd want to make is to auto-save when you switch between generals (since right now you need to click "save" beforehand if you want to keep your changes).
Niahak
Scholar

Unread postby James » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:48 am

Cool. I just finished Ma Chao.

Ma Dai will be the first officer I feed into the utility.
I’m backing up my ROM and downloading it now. :)
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:56 am

Or not. :(

http://jpeirce.com/stuff/misc/destiny_of_an_error.png

That happens when I open my ROM.
It works on the unedited ROM, though...

What do you think it might be?

Edit: The error keeps coming up... the hexadecimal value at the end of the error changes (seemingly randomly) every time I dismiss the window).

Is it possible I am using values that are not supported by your utility?
Like the attack power, or defense?

Edit 2: I think that’s it. Would you mind offering support for the extended defense values which I have listed over at LYS?
Last edited by James on Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Niahak » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:25 am

The value read there is the Region value, actually. Seems odd that it'd be F9, but give me about 10 minutes and I'll pm you with a more robust version of the program on the loading side.

/edit: Could be the sprite value, too. That actually seems more likely. I'll just cover all the bases.
Niahak
Scholar

Unread postby James » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:30 am

Niahak wrote:The value read there is the Region value, actually. Seems odd that it'd be F9, but give me about 10 minutes and I'll pm you with a more robust version of the program on the loading side.

/edit: Could be the sprite value, too. That actually seems more likely. I'll just cover all the bases.

I uploaded the full soldier table to LYS. You can use that to add support for all the possible soldier values. I noticed the tool does not support those things by default. :)

As for sprites, I’m using a few abnormal ones, but the editor doesn’t validate them, right?

I’m not using any unusual regions… I’m pretty sure I’m not...

I use a few unexpected defense values, though, but nothing outside the range I posted to LYS earlier in the week. :)
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:50 am

Thanks for the update, Niahak!

There are still some inconsistent values, me thinks. :)
(Great job in the progress you’ve made on this thing!)

— Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:58 am

PS: I don't really expect you to make a Xu Shu version. I'll be happy to play with whatever comes of this little hacking session.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby James » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:59 am

Kong Wen wrote:PS: I don't really expect you to make a Xu Shu version. I'll be happy to play with whatever comes of this little hacking session.

It wouldn’t take me more than a minute or two to create the special version I mentioned above. I am honesty happy to do it. When it comes down to editing the nature of officers, or moving them around, I’ve become very efficient!
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:00 am

Shu is complete!
On to Jingzhou… and Wang…

Random Encounter

Fa Zheng is scary now…

Li Hui!
Edit: Li Hui lost Da Re and Hong Shui.
It doesn’t seem right… him being as cool as Fa Zheng.
Last edited by James on Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games