Musou: Orochi Discussion Thread

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:35 am

SlickSlicer wrote:What you said is evading the point that Koei has stuck with the same flawed gameplay system, a system that is repetitive and becomes boring quickly, for too many years. It is not the lack of historicity, again, that bugs me, but the fact that not only does this game lack a historical context, BUT also lacks decent gameplay.

I'm not evading that point at all, because it doesn't even enter into this. The comment to which I responded was "A game like DW3 got me interested in Chinese history. A game like Orochi Musou, would not." If I were to address gameplay in response to that comment, I would be a fool.

Anyway, I'm not trying to convince you to like the game. I've already mentioned several times in several threads that I love the DW gameplay, I don't think it's flawed, I have a good time playing DW games, and if it ain't broke, it ain't need to be fixed.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Marx!_II » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:44 am

So the plain and simple is: Musou Orochi is not out to win any new converts to the DW system. And one could argue that Koei has been pretty consistent in their lack of an attempt to do so with any new installment. But if people (such as myself) continue to buy the new titles pretty much as they appear, what's to convince Koei that a massive overhaul is needed?

The answer is really nothing, and while I myself can take a handful of new characters and feature tweaks, and happily nerd out over Koei's masterful depiction of Sakon Shima or Lu Meng, there's some out there who weren't too attached to the DW concept before, and flat out refuse to shell out an extra $50 for what are in all fairness rather marginal improvements, going by the average sequel.

To those people I say, this game is clearly not for you. It seems to carry as its standard an implication that it's a Thanks For The Memories to Koei's dear fans out there, a last toast before we lay the venerable PS2 to rest and get started on the grand new adventures awaiting us on the next console. I embrace this direction, and hope that Musou Orochi can take a page from the SW2 book and not take itself too seriously.

But if the readers will excuse my vulgarity, another member of another forum put it quite plainly when he said:
*INSTANT HARD ON*
Marx!_II
Changshi

Unread postby Shadowlink » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:49 pm

Ts'aoist wrote:
Shadowlink wrote:Wei: Cao Cao disappeared without a trace

I hope he's okay!
he is okay and he will meet nobunaga who is related to him by blood as koei said. the man son is going to be in deep stuff
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Xu Yuan » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:31 pm

I don't think Wei's being villianized, it simply says Cao Cao disappeared not that he joined Orochi, we do know Cao Pi did join Orochi which is expected. And there are a few officer's who lack anything but loyalty so obviously with Cao Cao's disappearance it's Cao Pi who becomes ruler and when he want's to join up with Orochi they have no problem, I will guess Xu Zhu. Dian Wei, maybe Zhang Liao, Xu Huang, and Sima Yi will be with Cao Pi's faction while Xiahou Dun, Yuan, Zhang He, amybe Zhen Ji and Cao Ren will be searching for Cao with those whom teamed up against the Orochi. Of course this is mere speculation.
As you know security
is mortal's greatest enemy.

SimRTK is back up in a testing phase! Go ahead and give it a look over on the Simzhou forum branch.

http://simrtk.net/index.php
Xu Yuan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:29 am

Xu Yuan wrote:I don't think Wei's being villianized, it simply says Cao Cao disappeared not that he joined Orochi, we do know Cao Pi did join Orochi which is expected. And there are a few officer's who lack anything but loyalty so obviously with Cao Cao's disappearance it's Cao Pi who becomes ruler and when he want's to join up with Orochi they have no problem, I will guess Xu Zhu. Dian Wei, maybe Zhang Liao, Xu Huang, and Sima Yi will be with Cao Pi's faction while Xiahou Dun, Yuan, Zhang He, amybe Zhen Ji and Cao Ren will be searching for Cao with those whom teamed up against the Orochi. Of course this is mere speculation.

I don't think Xu Zhu and Dian Wei would stay with Cao Pi.
Do what you believe is right and don't be distracted by praises or insults.
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:52 am

Kong Wen wrote:
SlickSlicer wrote:What you said is evading the point that Koei has stuck with the same flawed gameplay system, a system that is repetitive and becomes boring quickly, for too many years. It is not the lack of historicity, again, that bugs me, but the fact that not only does this game lack a historical context, BUT also lacks decent gameplay.

I'm not evading that point at all, because it doesn't even enter into this. The comment to which I responded was "A game like DW3 got me interested in Chinese history. A game like Orochi Musou, would not." If I were to address gameplay in response to that comment, I would be a fool.

Anyway, I'm not trying to convince you to like the game. I've already mentioned several times in several threads that I love the DW gameplay, I don't think it's flawed, I have a good time playing DW games, and if it ain't broke, it ain't need to be fixed.

True, however I still think it is broke. The problem with it is the whole 'you can't hit an enemy if they're hitting you' and vice-versa. It makes it boring when an enemy hits you even once, as you can easily get consumed in a combo, and it makes it too easy otherwise, since most of the time you're the one doing the combos.

It's flawed, suffice it to say, in my opinion.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:42 pm

At first I will admit that I was quite Sceptical (sp?), but then, I have always wanted Koei to come up with an excuse for me to play all my favourite characters together in one game, especially since they existed around 1300 between eachother in history!! But hey, I don't think the gameplay's flawed, I don't think it needs fixed and I quite like the look of this, it appears there are three characters in every screenshot (the character actually fighting and two faces above theirs) so I am intrigued to say the least!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Shadowlink » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:48 pm

SlickSlicer wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:

True, however I still think it is broke. The problem with it is the whole 'you can't hit an enemy if they're hitting you' and vice-versa. It makes it boring when an enemy hits you even once, as you can easily get consumed in a combo, and it makes it too easy otherwise, since most of the time you're the one doing the combos.

It's flawed, suffice it to say, in my opinion.
That is why i want a stamina bar idea =/ I agree with sunxia... I want to play sw and dw together but not like this
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:37 am

SunXia wrote:it appears there are three characters in every screenshot (the character actually fighting and two faces above theirs) so I am intrigued to say the least!!

From what I've heard, the game will feature a sort of 'tag-team' style play where you can switch active characters as you go. So you can have a team of two or three officers and switch between them as needed. That explains the extra faces. ;)
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Kong Wen » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:40 am

Xiahou Mao wrote:From what I've heard, the game will feature a sort of 'tag-team' style play where you can switch active characters as you go. So you can have a team of two or three officers and switch between them as needed. That explains the extra faces. ;)

That sounds great! I wonder if that means they're going to make the levels longer and/or harder, so you actually have to switch between a few characters in order to survive. It'll be interesting to see how that new gameplay element is balanced into the game we all know and love.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games