Musou: Orochi Discussion Thread

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Unread postby Adam » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:48 am

Yes, hopefully Xu Chu isn't portrayed as a braying jackarse in this game. :P

Let me reiterate how much I will never like this idea.
Hopefully it doesn't ruin SW2 for me, cause I thought that it was a fairly good game, for the typical Koei "Warriors" game. DW was something to play when I wanted to beat things up that weren't real and not use my brain at all. While SW2 actually gave me some things to think about (mainly when getting 4th weapons).

I gotta agree with Slick (err I think it was him, correct me if I'm wrong) they shoulda done a game for a totally different era or place, at least it'd be -different- to some degree.
Although I hardly expect 'different' from Koei anymore.
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Pi Ka Chu » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:32 am

All I have to say is that they had better not butcher the historical depiction of the characters.

Like I said, I have a bad feeling about the production of this video game.
Nice guys don't insists on being creepers just because they were nice.
Pi Ka Chu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Watching Ratatosk insult the eagle on Yggdrasil for the wrym Níðhöggr

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:41 am

Pi Ka Chu wrote:All I have to say is that they had better not butcher the historical depiction of the characters.

Like I said... are you serious? Butcher the historical depiction of the characters? I think they're pretty darn butchered.

By the way, I recall way back in Dynasty Warriors (I got it when it first came out—I was in grade 11 or 12), playing as Oda Nobunaga. Good times. He had a rockin' hair-do and (I think) Lu Bu's moveset.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Pi Ka Chu » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:20 am

Kong Wen wrote:
Pi Ka Chu wrote:All I have to say is that they had better not butcher the historical depiction of the characters.

Like I said... are you serious? Butcher the historical depiction of the characters? I think they're pretty darn butchered.

By the way, I recall way back in Dynasty Warriors (I got it when it first came out—I was in grade 11 or 12), playing as Oda Nobunaga. Good times. He had a rockin' hair-do and (I think) Lu Bu's moveset.

I guest your right. :)
Nice guys don't insists on being creepers just because they were nice.
Pi Ka Chu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Watching Ratatosk insult the eagle on Yggdrasil for the wrym Níðhöggr

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:41 am

I actually think, if they've been slaughtering the historical aspects of the game all along, it might be refreshing for them to at least embrace it in this game, rather than try to continue maintaining a fascade.
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby GenFusha » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:55 am

Kong Wen wrote:
SlickSlicer wrote:A game like DW3 got me interested in Chinese history. A game like Orochi Musou, would not.

By now it doesn't need to. And at the very least, it would interest newbies in the other DW games, which would in turn introduce them to Chinese history. ;)

Highly unlikely. Considering the less than favorable kinda press games of this ilk receive. It will turn off quite a number of DW/SW players and attract very few new ones. I mean I don't know the full synopsis of the game, but I don't see why anyone would get interested in Chinese history when the only thing newbies would be explained is that generals from different time periods came together to be sucked into a fight with a demon...
-If there is one way I'd wanna be remembered, its for passion, for enthusiam- Conservation is my job, my life, my whole personna!*grin*-

--Steve Irwin.

1962-2006

Husband, Father, Hero, Legend. *salutes*
GenFusha
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:59 am

GenFusha wrote:I mean I don't know the full synopsis of the game, but I don't see why anyone would get interested in Chinese history when the only thing newbies would be explained is that generals from different time periods came together to be sucked into a fight with a demon...

I didn't say this game would interest anyone in Chinese history.
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby GenFusha » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:03 am

Kong Wen wrote:
GenFusha wrote:I mean I don't know the full synopsis of the game, but I don't see why anyone would get interested in Chinese history when the only thing newbies would be explained is that generals from different time periods came together to be sucked into a fight with a demon...

I didn't say this game would interest anyone in Chinese history.

lol. semantics dude.... you said 'introduce'...heh. whatever though.
-If there is one way I'd wanna be remembered, its for passion, for enthusiam- Conservation is my job, my life, my whole personna!*grin*-

--Steve Irwin.

1962-2006

Husband, Father, Hero, Legend. *salutes*
GenFusha
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:14 am

GenFusha wrote:lol. semantics dude.... you said 'introduce'...heh. whatever though.

It's not semantics, it's plain old misinterpretation. I didn't say this game would introduce people to Chinese history. I said it would introduce people to other, more canonical DW games. If the first "Warriors" game people play is this, and they like it, they're likely to want to try out others.
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Jordan » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:56 am

By now it doesn't need to. And at the very least, it would interest newbies in the other DW games, which would in turn introduce them to Chinese history

Kong Wen, you may have a point there, but that is not the main reason why I dislike this game anyways. What you said is evading the point that Koei has stuck with the same flawed gameplay system, a system that is repetitive and becomes boring quickly, for too many years. It is not the lack of historicity, again, that bugs me, but the fact that not only does this game lack a historical context, BUT also lacks decent gameplay.

It is the combination of both that makes me want to puke at the sight of Musou Orochi. I need either a historical plot or decent gameplay, or preferably both, to want to play Koei's "warrior" games.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games