Musou: Orochi Discussion Thread

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Unread postby Erebus » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:33 pm

horrible idea. i liek my china and japan all seperate ill rent this game at least or just pass on it completely
Erebus
Assistant

Unread postby Ranbir » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:45 pm

Kong Wen wrote:
Xu Yuan wrote:Oh yes, don't get me wrong, I was simply saying that people shouldn''t be looking for anything revolutionary in this next game, undoubtedly I will buy the game and enjoy myself immensely playing with over 70 characters with some kind of tag team function. I still play DW and SW when I have nothing else to do, sorry if my comment came out as elitist.

Oh, no, I wasn't talking about anyone here in particular. Mainly reviewers. It does seem like every reviewer expects to see some big change or innovation in every single game that gets released.

It's something reviewers shouldn't really expect in something that provides the exact same story and characters. They're using a very particular source, afterall. Although it is a natural thing for them to expect some kind of progression in the 'genre' the game is within by the so called creators of such genre.* Even small, yet significant, tweaks to gameplay (which got shown in SW, yet never seemed to make it to DW). If people want a step forward in this genre, they should look at Total Warrior.

I'll probably give this game one swing with Lu Bu, although I don't know what to expect to do with him that I can't already have done in the previous games he has featured in: Kill lots of things with ease.

*I realise this will obviously take on a different fantasy setting. This is more so fan service of both series than a design of gaming merit. I'll be interested in price.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Jiang Zhi » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:07 am

Kongming's Prodigy wrote:This is ridiculous. I see no originality on Koei's part. It's so freaking rehashed...although I somehow was expecting this. :roll:

Woohoo! Somebody who shares my view. I was like "WTF is this?" When I saw. Here comes Koei to further ruin Chinese history...

Used to be good but not anymore
Jiang Zhi of Foshan, style Maodi
~*!越武帝!*~ - 我愛我的妻子孫尚香!
Nan Hai, Jiaozhou

Laconius Arts and Design My Rot3K fanfiction
Jiang Zhi
Sun Shang Xiang's puppy-eyed slave

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:39 am

Thing is, I'll probably still buy it and play it. Unless there's no English version.

I think this is just KOEI having fun and saying, "History schmistory."
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby Shadowlink » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:15 am

Sun Gongli wrote:Thing is, I'll probably still buy it and play it. Unless there's no English version.

and the japanese people are going to rule china and cao cao will die under ieyasu hand 8-)
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby GenFusha » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:18 am

Sun Gongli wrote:Thing is, I'll probably still buy it and play it. Unless there's no English version.

Meh. I think its more like, "hmmm...How can we FINALLY milk this cow dry before we have to actually spend money on making a serious new game?" Of course for next-gen consoles is what I mean.
-If there is one way I'd wanna be remembered, its for passion, for enthusiam- Conservation is my job, my life, my whole personna!*grin*-

--Steve Irwin.

1962-2006

Husband, Father, Hero, Legend. *salutes*
GenFusha
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Pi Ka Chu » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:21 am

How would the story plot flow? Is Nobunaga going to invade from east?
If so, I feel that this may bring out heated anti-japanese protest from the Far East. I don't know much about this game, but I hope it is flows as to not offend anyone.
Nice guys don't insists on being creepers just because they were nice.
Pi Ka Chu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Watching Ratatosk insult the eagle on Yggdrasil for the wrym Níðhöggr

Unread postby Mistelten » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:01 am

Kong Wen wrote:Of course it's a giant rehash. What some elitists don't understand is that some people actually enjoy playing the same game with different tweaks over and over again. I readily admit to it. I can't get enough of DW games, EA NHL games, and RTK games. They usually only have small differences between them, but the core gameplay is enjoyable enough that the minor tweaks give me new ways to enjoy something I already know I love. :)

I don't know, RTK actually does change enough between them that it is interesting. I don't have the time to go back and play the old ones like I did when I was a kid, but I think they all bring something new to the table.

As for this game, I'm actually excited even though I told myself I would never buy another Warriors game. It's what I wanted to see after SW and I'm glad they realize it's just mindless, comic-book action. It's something that I really don't understand why I like it, but I guess it's RTK/DoaE nolstagia from my childhood. If they made warriors games in other era I probably wouldn't care at all. Those maps are pretty unimaginative though.

Does anyone else think the DW maps get worse with every game?????

(I'm hoping this means that they're closing out the PS2 era and the first PS3/whatever Warriors will blow us all away with new stuff)
If the next-gen Warriors game feels rehashy, then I'll say put a fork in 'em. For now, I can accept that deepening the gameplay won't happen for understandable reasons.

Thanks for posting this btw saver.tw
Mistelten
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:50 am

I agree with Kongming's Prodigy too. This looks really lame. x_X

I spent so many years arguing with people why a Samurai Warriors meets Dynasty Warriors game would suck, and now Koei turns and makes exactly that sort of fan-service game. Not only will it not follow any sort of historical plot, which is part of what makes me interested in the Warriors games, but it will simply be a rehash where you can play both SW and DW characters...

:?
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:23 am

Jiang Zhi wrote:
Kongming's Prodigy wrote:This is ridiculous. I see no originality on Koei's part. It's so freaking rehashed...although I somehow was expecting this. :roll:

Woohoo! Somebody who shares my view. I was like "WTF is this?" When I saw. Here comes Koei to further ruin Chinese history...

Like they did in DW1, 2, 3, 3XL, 4, 4XL, 4E, 5, 5XL, and 5E? :? This is just a blatantly fictional game featuring fictional characters (based on historical figures) that people already know.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games