Destiny of an Emperor - Maximum MTP

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: Destiny of an Emperor - Maximum MTP

Unread postby heapinfrimp » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:53 pm

Please forgive me for exhuming this ancient discussion topic, but I never heard of fu bing before I found this guide, and repeatedly wondered: "but what does Fu Bing DO?" I think it is worth having explained in here somewhere.
Apparently it allows for double attacks, and would probably be useful if it could be obtained more easily. Maybe it is MEANT to be hidden and obscure.

I never, in my old days, bothered with support tactics in the game since I could never reliably tell what they did, unless they caused damage or healed damage, or prevented turns entirely. If I played it again, I would be more proactive in trying them out, but I still probably would not take the time to get this one.
heapinfrimp
Tyro

Unread postby James » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:49 pm

I experimented with a couple mods which were... pretty over the top in difficultly. Pretty much the only way you could work through them without constantly resetting was to make clever use of a wide range of the tactics characters come with. And plenty of other people, now, have made a bunch of mods for this great old game.

For the original it was all pretty much just a curiosity. By the time you got to a point where you might be inclined to experiment with the nuance and value of the more obscure tactics (outside offense, defense, healing, Ce Mian, Ji Mian, and Bei Ji—can't believe I remember those names) you've pretty much arrived at a point where nothing in the game is challenging.

Speaking of which, there are challenges for improving difficulty of the game, such as never fighting an optional battle and using only the resources (e.g. equipment and items) you find while playing.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby heapinfrimp » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:35 pm

I sympathize with your plight! I have never had good luck with "challenge" rom hacks, since they often depend on the use of arcane strategies that are unintended or optional for the base game (Super Mario Bros is easily the worst for this), or disable stuff that is actually fun to do (super metroid hacks) on the grounds that they make the game too easy! In my advanced age I have less patience for that sort of barrier! I might investigate some of DoaE's, so to not dismiss anything unfairly.
I do like the self-imposed challenge idea of only using the fixed-size army generals, but would probably make up my own rules where item/tactic restrictions go.
heapinfrimp
Tyro

Previous

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games