Samurai Warriors 2 (& Empires) Discussion Thread

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Unread postby Kongming's Prodigy » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:01 am

gren wrote:
I beg to differ. Sound in a game is not a small thing at all. A videogame covers two senses, visual and auditory. Don't tell me that messing with half of my senses is a small thing.

if thats the case, i would never of played dw3, i hated the voice acting. i think we all remember, "This will not be one of shu's victories, This battle will belong to WUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!" now if you wanna talk bad voice acting, look at that. so i am pretty sure if you can look past the sound, or tolerate it, then you will be pleasantly surprised. and really the audio isnt that important, heck half the time cant even hear the game, do to all the fans on. (boxfan=loud.) lord knows thay why the made captions.

Yea, I know, it's bad. It also had a Japanese language track. :wink:
[Current System]
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.63 GHz
EVGA Geforce GTX 770 @ 1241/3906 MHz
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Motherboard
6GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 Triple Channel
500GB Hitachi 7200RPM
700W Cooler Master UCP
Cooler Master HAF 922 Chassis
Kongming's Prodigy
The Dragon Awakened

Unread postby Davey Vengeance » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:13 pm

I'm not that bothered about the voices at all,sure Keiji's is a bit worse than the first. But in the end the game is fighting based and that is part of the game is good. I find that I have that trouble when I start a story mode. I usually level up my characters to between level 5 and 10 before I do the story mode.
Forever X

Like Suikoden? Like RPing?
Then please come and join us at CASTLE NORTH WIND
Say Belcoot sent you...see you there. :)
Davey Vengeance
Scholar of Darkness

Unread postby Wo Long » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:19 pm

Some of the voices do sort of annoy me. They aren't "bad", but the ones in the first were so much better.
Me Blog.
Restore the Ming Dynasty in Beijing!
Wo Long
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jason » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:44 pm

Davey Vengeance wrote:I'm not that bothered about the voices at all,sure Keiji's is a bit worse than the first. But in the end the game is fighting based and that is part of the game is good. I find that I have that trouble when I start a story mode. I usually level up my characters to between level 5 and 10 before I do the story mode.

Yeah, seems that easy mode has definetly gotten a bit harder. I actually have a bit of trouble with Tadakatsu at times, if I don't focus and stay on him.
“I always wonder why birds choose to stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on the earth, then I ask myself the same question.”

― Harun Yahya
Jason
Legendary

Unread postby Wo Long » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:54 am

Does anyone know how to get the various "Maximum" horses? I have the Matsukaze, but I don't know what I did to get it to appear in the store. Is it completely random, or are the special requirements needed to get them to appear? I'm eager to get Masamune's Arabian horse.
Me Blog.
Restore the Ming Dynasty in Beijing!
Wo Long
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:45 am

Wo Long wrote:Does anyone know how to get the various "Maximum" horses? I have the Matsukaze, but I don't know what I did to get it to appear in the store. Is it completely random, or are the special requirements needed to get them to appear? I'm eager to get Masamune's Arabian horse.

Matsukaze appears in the store after a while, assuming you've bought other horses. The other two unique horses can be found in the late stages of Survival Mode by performing certain missions.
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Davey Vengeance » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:10 pm

Ezekiel wrote:
Davey Vengeance wrote:I'm not that bothered about the voices at all,sure Keiji's is a bit worse than the first. But in the end the game is fighting based and that is part of the game is good. I find that I have that trouble when I start a story mode. I usually level up my characters to between level 5 and 10 before I do the story mode.

Yeah, seems that easy mode has definetly gotten a bit harder. I actually have a bit of trouble with Tadakatsu at times, if I don't focus and stay on him.

That is who I found it hard with too, a shame as I like Tadakatsu as I liked him when he appeared in Onimusha 3. I also found it tricky with Hanzo and how the difficulty jumped up from stage 1 to stage 2 in Ginchiyo Tachibana's story mode. But it made it more challenging which I liked and led me to play the survival mode to level up.
Forever X

Like Suikoden? Like RPing?
Then please come and join us at CASTLE NORTH WIND
Say Belcoot sent you...see you there. :)
Davey Vengeance
Scholar of Darkness

Unread postby azn099 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:28 am

I'm not gonna get Empires. I wanna get XL if they are even gonna release one... I have SW2 I love it and Nene too!
azn099
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:45 am

Finally I got the game. I never played SW, so SW2 is completely new for me. Overall the game is a bit better than dw5, imho.

Things that make SW2 better than DW5 (well, at least for me :D ):
1. AI. Hard IS hard. I haven't played Hell yet, but I have already lots of trouble with getting Takakadtsu's 4th weapon on hard. I had no choice but to max out Honda and even then I had to reload 5 or six times.
2. Lots of cutscenes and very nice intros. Hanzo and Kotaro are awesome.
3. Skills instead of items. I never liked the idea of items at all. Especially because you can't equip them all.
4. Moveset. Here SW2 completely beats DW5. 3 types of movesets instead of regular st,sst, ssst and so on. Specials are terrific. Hanzo's shadows can't be ever compared to useless R1 arrows of DW5. I have played Hanzo, Kotaro, Tadakatsu, Yukimura, Ieyasu, Mitsuhide and Magoichi so far and every time the game was different for me. In DW5 only Xiahou Yuan and Huang Zhong are notably different (because of their arrows) from the rest of playable characters. May be Zuo Ci as well.
SW2 also allows you to attack you with normal attacks for a short period of time after you start your musou - terrific thing :D
5. Graphics and sound. Graphics are nice and smooth. If you play Magoichi at Anegawa battle you will encounter an episode when Tadakatsu is mobbed by the whole Asakura army. There are at least seven officers of Asakura + Tadakatsu himself and yet the game doesn't slow down and you can see them ALL on your screen. Compare it to the battle of Hu Lao Gate in DW5 when you can't see anything because Lu Bu is fighting 3 bros + Dian Wei and Cao Hong. Sound is also better in SW2. You can hear clearly grunts from dying soldiers, "fire" from leader of archers and so on.
6. Fun. SW2 a lot more funny than DW5, imho. Takeda's "Hanzo, have you come to tell me something spooky about shadows and darkness" made me roll on the floor :lol: In DW5 most quotes are filled with "justice", "chaos" and "virtue". Xu Zhu's dumbness that is probably supposed to make players smile only annoys me.

DW5 is still better in such aspects as:
1. Morale system. Just what the heck is going on with morale in sw2 :x I have completed 6 story modes so far and only once (!!!) my allied general defeated an enemy general. Also in Kotaro-Hanzo rivalry level for Hideyoshi's head they both seem to be unstoppable. My generals kept dying when their morale is 3 TIMES HIGHER :shock: This is just ridiculous.
2. Music. Well, that's just about personal taste. And my taste perefers the moderately heavy stuff from DW5 :wink:
3. Lots of generic officers in SW2. That annoys me a lot. I just prefer to fight different characters with different movesets. Also they are not subgenerals so it irritates me to scroll down the whole roster of 20+ generals on the map to find the particular general in order to see if he has any skill I want to get from him.
4. Ambushes, ambushes and again ambushes in sw2. I'm just sick of that, seriously :x

As I've said before, overall sw2 is a bit better because of lots of possibilities of the character you control.
Unfortunately for me (a person who hates Qioas) there is Oichi in sw2 with a TOY instead of a weapon. Luckily she doesn't have a sister :wink:
There's no trick to it. I'm not using an orbment, it's not magic...and I'm not using an artifact, either. I just will fire to appear, and it does.
McBurn
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Master Still Water » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:49 pm

This is just a hunch, but I think Koei had a good look at Devil Kings, and decided to implement several of it's aspects into SW2, such as individual skillsets, different movesets, enemy formations and their cooperative attacks, soldiers reatreating in fear, and cavalry (complete with dying horses). At least it's a step in the right direction...
In nine years' time things start to waste;
In thirteen years there isn't a trace.
Heaven sends things where they're due;
The mudbound dragon mounts the blue.

-From Master Stillwater to Liu Xuande
Master Still Water
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games