Samurai Warriors 2 (& Empires) Discussion Thread

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:09 pm

Magoichi does need some levelling to play as, but he becomes pretty strong later on. The shots built into his S-string will break guard if they hit a blocking enemy, which can set up a combo, just watch out for enemies who roll to dodge them. Once he hits level 30, you'll learn the special Pierce skill which lets his shots continue through enemies, and that will increase his offensive power greatly.
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Kongming's Prodigy » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:11 pm

Xiahou Mao wrote:The thing is, even the Japanese version of Keiji is a laid-back easygoing guy. Just like in SW1. Have you ever seen him ride Matsukaze? ;)

It doesn't really matter. Using modern (and not just modern, but American) analogies to voice characters just doesn't cut it for me. I came to play a fun game about sengoku japan, and what do I get? A surfer stoner (or so I've heard).

Xiahou Mao wrote:But for most of us on this forum from North America/Europe/etc. who don't speak Japanese, this is the version we get, and I don't see a problem with it.

Sure, be as content as you wish. But I've waited, what, 6 months, being teased by the FMVs and gameplay footage, just to get this lesser version? I think my disappointment is justified. Now if Koei included both language tracks, that solves all problems. But no, they had to be stupid about it.
[Current System]
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.63 GHz
EVGA Geforce GTX 770 @ 1241/3906 MHz
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Motherboard
6GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 Triple Channel
500GB Hitachi 7200RPM
700W Cooler Master UCP
Cooler Master HAF 922 Chassis
Kongming's Prodigy
The Dragon Awakened

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:01 pm

Kongming's Prodigy wrote:Sure, be as content as you wish. But I've waited, what, 6 months, being teased by the FMVs and gameplay footage, just to get this lesser version? I think my disappointment is justified. Now if Koei included both language tracks, that solves all problems. But no, they had to be stupid about it.

Ah, but it's not a lesser version. They fixed several bugs and glitches that infested the original Japanese version.

If you can understand Japanese and want the Japanese voices, then you should look into getting an import of the game from Japan. If you can't understand Japanese and want the Japanese voices, then you're one of those Japan purist subtitle guys I mentioned in the start. The top names in Hollywood could do the voices and you'd still want the Japanese ones. If you're that hostile to English, there's not much I can say.
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Shia Qiao » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:20 pm

Ranmaru is my kind of boy *likes feminine-looking boys* :)

Why you are talking of floors?
Shia Qiao
Student

Unread postby gren » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:36 pm

ya know, if you have such a problem with english voices...just mute it. thats a pretty simple solution to your problem.

as for keiji, yeah he sounds.....unique(?) but he still carries the same attitude he had in the original, still wants to fight for fun. Thats still better than tadakatsu, he feels like he has a stick stuck up his...yeah.. over all and that is for the most part i like the voices, i miss hearing john smallberries (RIP) or david lucas/steven jay blum, but for the most part the cast is solid. I have to admit, the sound alike they found for kenshin is pretty good. the only other person i have a problem with his voice is mitsunari, hes very flat, but over all they sound good. besides you shouldnt let somthing so small keep you from playing an otherwise solid game.
gren
Master Sleeping Treestump

Unread postby Kongming's Prodigy » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:57 pm

Xiahou Mao wrote:If you can understand Japanese and want the Japanese voices, then you should look into getting an import of the game from Japan. If you can't understand Japanese and want the Japanese voices, then you're one of those Japan purist subtitle guys I mentioned in the start. The top names in Hollywood could do the voices and you'd still want the Japanese ones. If you're that hostile to English, there's not much I can say.

Yup, that's why I said I'd get the Japanese PC version if it ever comes out. :wink:

gren wrote:besides you shouldnt let somthing so small keep you from playing an otherwise solid game.

I beg to differ. Sound in a game is not a small thing at all. A videogame covers two senses, visual and auditory. Don't tell me that messing with half of my senses is a small thing. :P
[Current System]
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.63 GHz
EVGA Geforce GTX 770 @ 1241/3906 MHz
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Motherboard
6GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 Triple Channel
500GB Hitachi 7200RPM
700W Cooler Master UCP
Cooler Master HAF 922 Chassis
Kongming's Prodigy
The Dragon Awakened

Unread postby Mistelten » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:34 am

The voice in this game is the best in any of the Warrior games. I'm surprised really, but they did a great job (especially with Shibata Katsuie, which you can't use, sadly).

I'm glad this turned out well. This is the second best Warriors game yet, and not just because it's the newest. We've been looking for the 'next DW3' since DW3 came out, and even though some of us have been overly optimistic, I think this is as close as we'll get on current systems (or probably, ever). The gameplay is as much an improvement to SW1 as DW3 was to 2. There should be more new levels but there are a good amount. The character designs are better than 1 by far, and the graphics are good.

My complaints are that it left out a Versus mode and a CAW mode. No doubt these will be saved for the inevitable XL upgrade. I'd do without them if they just scrapped that system and released a complete game every time.
IF they make an XL, I'm hoping for more characters and a VS mode. Why you would make one of these games without a VS mode is beyond me. It was in the first incarnation of DW3 even.

One thing about this game that was missing from Kessen 3; Nobunaga's interesting version is back. I don't know why he had to be a golden boy in K3. He's much more interesting as the unorthodox, semi-suicidal, passionate, and uncompassionate character. And in all the books I've read, that is how I would imagine the real Nobunaga to have been (he was pretty heartless, though not sadistic).
Mistelten
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby jiang cheng » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:01 am

Andrew J wrote:I went up the east stairs, which leads you to Keiji. Its all a case of listening to the clues throught the actual request.

And I personally love Hanzo's "kunoichi" line at Komaki-Nagakute. It may be the funniest line in the game. On par with ANYTHING Magoichi said in the original.

Speaking of Magoichi, Im finding it very hard to play as him. I got extremely mauled by Azai on the first stage, I suppose I just need to level him up a bit more.

Magoichi is pretty okay... In the first level, you are suppose to wait for awhile till they give the cue that he is moving into the main camp. Fight him from there. If you find that you cannot win, try and run to the main camp where your officers are. They will help you out a bit. They seems to be very competent when you are around. Then try and take out as many food soldiers as possible to give you the powerup and life recovery items. Once you had managed to have your musou ready, use it after combo Azai...

I took Azai out without much problem. The only problem is that i had to rush like mad to defeat officers in between Azai's cioming back.
jiang cheng
Scholar

Unread postby Andrew J » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:14 pm

Yeah, I completed Magoichi's musou and also found out who did the-what-now (Im not gonna spoil it for some.).

The problem was, he only had his first few basic attacks, when I went to take down Nagamasa, I could only get a few hits, and the last hit was a gun shot, so Azai took my health down while I was shooting. The same happened with Hideyoshi in later levels, as well.
Andrew J
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby gren » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:28 pm

I beg to differ. Sound in a game is not a small thing at all. A videogame covers two senses, visual and auditory. Don't tell me that messing with half of my senses is a small thing.

if thats the case, i would never of played dw3, i hated the voice acting. i think we all remember, "This will not be one of shu's victories, This battle will belong to WUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!" now if you wanna talk bad voice acting, look at that. so i am pretty sure if you can look past the sound, or tolerate it, then you will be pleasantly surprised. and really the audio isnt that important, heck half the time cant even hear the game, do to all the fans on. (boxfan=loud.) lord knows thay why the made captions.
gren
Master Sleeping Treestump

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games