Dynasty Tactics: Discussion Thread

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Do you recommend Koei’s Dynasty Tactics?

Yes
88%
No
No votes
Unsure
No votes
Never Played It…
13%

Total votes : 24

Unread postby Equinox » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:13 pm

HuangTi: no, no one else has Conqueror. It's a unique skill in the game and Sun Ce dies in most of Wu's storylines anyway - and no, no item grants the skill to anyone.

Overlord, Cao Cao's awesome skill, is however granted by his item Meng De, so effectively you can have two Overlords in the game. It's nice to give it to a strategist like Cheng Yu or Tian Feng, since they have a ton of INT and LEA tactics to take advantage of (unlimited Aid, Surround, and Pincer, etc.).

Hero is a bit more common and is granted by Yuan Shao's Lao Tzu item.
Equinox
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lord Li Dian » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:24 pm

It an amazing game!!!! :!:
Known as Li Dian on other Forums.

My Site: http://lidian.proboards1.com/
Lord Li Dian
Initiate

Re: Dynasty Tactics: Discussion Thread

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:54 am

bump
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Stryke » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:42 pm

Recently I bought this off Amazon (came to about £5.50 overall, massive bargin) and I have to say, it has really impressed me. I like how the game gives you some freedom at what you do, while the game still manages to keep a storyline, unlike the RoTK series. Also, I like how this game uses Sun Ce, not Sun Jian, as the founder of Wu.

For anyone that's played this, what's the usual end game team that you try to aim for?
No matter who I play as, I generally try and capture Tian Feng, Xu Huang, Zhang Liao, and if possible, Zhao Yun. This tends to be very easy if starting as Cao Cao, who starts with a plethora of decent officers, but if playing as Sun Ce (or Quan), it's easier said than done.
Stryke
Scholar

Unread postby Zappa » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:24 pm

I loved this game but I found that a few storylines are quiet difficult has anyone some tipps or knows if there are cheats?

PS:Can anyone youtube the cutscens of Cao Cao?
As the world changes,war comes and goes and with it might,wealth,right,freedom and land changes its owner,however the only thing that will always remain is the death,that comes with it.
Zappa
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Stryke » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:31 pm

Zappa wrote:I loved this game but I found that a few storylines are quiet difficult has anyone some tipps or knows if there are cheats?

PS:Can anyone youtube the cutscens of Cao Cao?

Play as Cao Cao until you get used to the game. You'll need to get a good grip of tactic chains (4 - 5 mid game) to capture officers. There are also a few officers with each force you'll want to recruit in one way or another.

For Wei, a team is use alot of the time:

Cao Cao - Footmen/Rangers
Guo Jia - Builders
Xu Zhu - Spearmen
Xu Huang - Cavalry
Zhang Liao - Cavalry (beware, he starts as bow-riders)
Xu Shu/Sima Yi/Tian Feng - Builders
Dian Wei - Spearmen
Xiahou Dun, or if I can get him, Zhao Yun - Cavalry

As you can see, Cao Cao has access to most of these officers early on, and most of them are easy to recruit. I'd practise with Cao Cao before playing as Liu Bei and Sun Quan.

For Shu:

Liu Bei - Footmen/Rangers
Xu Shu - Builders
Guan Yu - Cavalry
Zhang Fei - Spearmen
Zhao Yun - Cavalry
Zhuge Liang - Builders
Zhang Liao - Cavalry
Ji Ling (early on, captured from Yuan Shu), Gao Shun (captured from Lu Bu) or Xu Huang (mid to late game, captured from The Man.) - Cavalry

It is very important with Liu bei to both recruit as many officers as early on as possible, and to get Zhao Yun as soon as possible. As soon as the second scenario starts, you will want to send Liu Bei up as an envoy to go recruit Zhao Yun and Gongsun Zan, both will help you alot.

For Wu on most storylines:

Sun Quan - Footmen/Rangers
Lu Xun - Builders
Taisihi Ci - Spearmen
Zhou Yu/Ling Tong - Builders for Zhou Yu, Footmen and then Spearmen for Ling Tong
Lu Meng - Footmen/Rangers
Xu Shu/or Zhou Yu - Builders
Gan Ning - Heavy Archers
Zhou Tai - Spearmen

First of all, the reason i've not included Sun Ce is that
as you may have noticed, Sun Ce dies in most scenarios. Infact, the only way you can keep him alive is by playing through the game once as Sun Quan, and then following a single specific storyline. I would strongly recommend killing off Sun Ce as fast as possible, by attacking Cao Cao instead of Liu Biao straight away, so Sun Quan can level up faster. he has great leadership, followed by great leadership tactics.
I personally find the Sun's to be the hardest campaign, as their officers both lack the potential of Wei and Shu officers, and they can be harder to get. To get Gan Ning, you are going to have to steal him from Liu Biao or Cao Cao in battle. Don't worry, it's not as hard as it sounds after practise. Also, try to recruit Chen Gui, a Spy officer in Liu Bei's city, from the get go. Spy officers are invaluable.
You'll also want to create a 1 man army to go take the empty city Yu Lin (underneath Liu Biao, in a corner), as you get a nice +15 Leadership item.

A few tips for battles. Don't use tactics without it leading to a chain. This is most important earlier on in battles. An exeception is if an officer has the Overlord, Hero, Conqueror, Menace, or Stratergy skill active.
Spies, use them. When attacking, they'll give you a free supply depot or two, which is an amazing advantage in any battle. You can use up to two spies in a battle, and to use them, appoint them as envoys and move them to the battle site alongside your army.

There, I hope this wall of text has helped. If you're stuck in a specific situation, ask, and i'll try to help if I can.
Stryke
Scholar

Unread postby Zappa » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:02 pm

Thanks for your ifos although I found out much of it by myself but there are still a few new things to me fe:Cao Cao is a cavalerist in my army.

I palyed with Cao coming to the point where I seized Cheng Du but now Liu and Sun have allied goal is to take Jiang Ye every where are armys advincing on my capital and making it impossible to get a strong army to Jian Ye how can I suceed?

I cant attack and defend at the same time.
As the world changes,war comes and goes and with it might,wealth,right,freedom and land changes its owner,however the only thing that will always remain is the death,that comes with it.
Zappa
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Stryke » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:05 pm

Zappa wrote:Thanks for your ifos although I found out much of it by myself but there are still a few new things to me fe:Cao Cao is a cavalerist in my army.

I palyed with Cao coming to the point where I seized Cheng Du but now Liu and Sun have allied goal is to take Jiang Ye every where are armys advincing on my capital and making it impossible to get a strong army to Jian Ye how can I suceed?

I cant attack and defend at the same time.

Along side your strong army, you're going to need another two armies to defend. It can be hard, but it's your only option pretty much. With Cao Cao's surplous of good officers though, you should manage.
Stryke
Scholar

Unread postby Zappa » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:22 pm

I see.... well the problem is that I have 10 strong officers 8 in my 2 armys and 2 spies the rest isnt thus strong do you have an advice how to level up my officers quickly or to get new ? Caputring isnt thus easy.
Zappa
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Stryke » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:54 pm

Zappa wrote:I see.... well the problem is that I have 10 strong officers 8 in my 2 armys and 2 spies the rest isnt thus strong do you have an advice how to level up my officers quickly or to get new ? Caputring isnt thus easy.

It's probably too late to level up new officers. Can you tell me who's in your main army? Depending on how strong it is, you might be able to win a 4 v 8 (well, 6 v 8 with spies), with your 4 best officers.
Also, while defending certain cities, such as Cheng Du, you'll start in a castle, which can help you turn the odds.
When defending, it is vital that you have a builder unit to heal, especially when against the odds.
Stryke
Scholar

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games