Destiny of an Emperor II: Discussion Thread

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Do you recommend Destiny of an Emperor II?

Yes
79%
No
2%
Unsure
5%
Never played it…
14%

Total votes : 43

Re: Destiny of an Emperor II: Discussion Thread

Unread postby James » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:21 pm

Silent_Thief wrote:Please help. I have gone to Chaisang castle and the king says help us cao cao navy will attack to us. what I have to do now. please help me

Start by checking a walkthrough at http://kongming.net/doae2/
Let us know what part isn't happening as you expect.

Please don't post the same request to multiple parts of the forum.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Silent_Thief » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:21 pm

I've looked to walkthrought of DoaE2 (http://kongming.net/faqs/destiny-of-an- ... r_2_c.html) . it says in nanjun castle a student is waiting you to tell pang tong is being here but there is not a student here. please help me
Silent_Thief
Tyro

Unread postby Lordyuanshu » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:22 pm

http://www.lordyuanshu.com/destiny_of_a ... iance.html

Read that :) I don't know off the top of my head what you missed but likely it's some dialogue / plot event. Something you must have missed. Talk to everyone at Chaisang and that small village east of Chaisang.
Lordyuanshu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby wildbill » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:40 am

Hi DoaE-II players,

Just wanted to say I'm amazed that the English (patched) version of this game is still drawing interest after all this time. I am the project coordinator and script writer of the English version of DoaE-II(e), a co-founder (along with Taskforce)of magic-destiny.com. Needless to say, the lion's share of the credit for DoaE-II(e) goes to Taskforce and other talented hackers, not to mention our diligent team of translators from all over the world who contributed bits and pieces to the overall effort.

I am also pleased to see DoaE-II(e) FAQs, walks-through and guides being produced in recent years. I know that some of the puzzles and side quests can certainly be nettlesome without a decent hint here and there. You should have seen us trying to crack the puzzles and Kanji names back in the late 90s, with nothing but raw translated scripts to guide us. Then, one of our translation team members brought me a 100+ page DoaE-II strategy guide all the way back from Japan. That helped immensely, especially the illustrations and furigana subscripts above the Kanji!

Anyway, Magic Destiny has been inactive for a few years, but we will be releasing a new English patch for another game soon, a Super Famicom turn-based RPG called Lennus-II. I can't promise anything right now, but M-D still hopes to release an English patch for DoaE-II Game Boy, some day. I also want to investigate that rumored DoaE-III game for the Sega Master System. Does anyone believe it's worthy of an English translation?

Well, just wanted to say hello, and tell everyone again how nice it is to see people enjoying our English DoaE-II. I'm not Chinese, but I love this game and find the Ro3K legend fascinating. I don't have much time for browsing or visiting, but will try to drop by here occasionally and see what's happening with one of my all-time favorite games and projects. I will also be posting links at M-D, to this and other sites that are supporting DoaE-II gamers.

Cheers! -Wildbill
wildbill
Tyro

Unread postby James » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:38 pm

I saw 'wildbill' and I thought to myself, "Not the wildbill from Magic Destiny?"

Welcome to Scholars of Shen Zhou, good sir, even if only for a post or two! And thank you so much for the work you put in, along with the Magic Destiny team, bringing Destiny of an Emperor II to the English community. The Destiny of an Emperor series still has a cult following of sorts--it makes some sense, it is just a damn good series--so having the second around to play is just awesome. Your work will always be appreciated. :)

Edit: Do you have any hacking notes for the game you could share?
Quite a bit of interest has sprung up for modding these titles!
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Taishi Ci 2.0 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:17 pm

I also want to investigate that rumored DoaE-III game for the Sega Master System. Does anyone believe it's worthy of an English translation?

Yes, it is a pretty fun game. Here are some pics of the early game to tempt you (ignore the plot comments, I don't read Chinese): http://www.lordyuanshu.com/conewalkerfo ... .php?t=580
"You have attacked us before, and we survived! You cannot defeat us. Submit!"
"We have. You did. We can. No."
Taishi Ci 2.0
Grand Historian Friendly to Cats

Unread postby wildbill » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:11 pm

James wrote:Edit: Do you have any hacking notes for the game you could share?
Quite a bit of interest has sprung up for modding these titles!

Unfortunately, no. Taskforce organized the varied hacking tools and extensive compression libraries back in the day, and several years ago he suffered a HDD failure.

If anyone wants to try to alter the text, here's some advise. I recall that every byte in the storyline was precious. Since we couldn't expand the NES ROM (as we do frequently with SNES games), I was forced to edit out a few thousand bytes from my first draft of the story line. That would be your main challenge in reverse engineering our text insertion scheme, to deal with the compression library, because exchanging words in that list for other words not in the list (especially long words) would increase the number of bytes, and one byte too many in a particular bank or block would likely crash the game at some point.

I recall that DoaE-II(e) was very fragile to build. We crashed frequently during both alpha and beta testing, sometimes randomly in a given scene, then required a good deal of time sorting out whether this problem was hacking related or emulator caused. About the only way we could tell was to load our save-states into the unmodified Japanese ROM and proceed from there. Every few years I have been replaying the game, and I still uses save-states frequently, although a time or two I've finished the entire game with no random freezes.

Anyway, I have linked to some of your excellent sites from M-D's news "home" page. When we get Lennus-II under control, I'll try to locate the Genesis DoaE-III ROM and give it a look-see. I already have the SNES ROM of what everyone has been calling DoaE-III.

Take care,

Bill
wildbill
Tyro

Unread postby Kingdom of Cheng » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:03 pm

Once again i've never played this game but it looks pretty kickass. Not sure if it was this game or the first one where I got my avatar from.
Listener up there! what have you to confide to me?
Look in my face while I snuff the sidle of evening,
(Talk honestly, no one else hears you, and I stay only a minute longer.)
Kingdom of Cheng
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lordyuanshu » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:06 pm

It's DoaE 1 Nan Yang Castle Battle.

Hey Wildbill. DoaE 2 forever Image

Jiu Swilling Souse. That bloke is a ruddy sot.
Lordyuanshu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Terranigma Freak » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:42 pm

Holy crap! It's Wildbill! You probably don't remember me since I was one of the hundreds who posted in the Magic Destiny forums when the game was finally released!

Actually, I have a few questions for you. I've been trying to make my own hack by just increasing the difficulty of the games and also replacing some of the characters. What I wanted to do was simply redo the stats and rename the characters, and of course, renaming is the real problem. I am nothing but a mere novice hacker. All I've been able to do is tweak the stats and alter a few numbers. Hacking into your hack is way beyond me. You have any documentation that could teach me how to do it?

Also, about the game crashing, I'm probably the only guy who never had this problem before. I've played through the game quite a few times too, I might add.

As for the DOE3 on the Genesis, that's a Chinese hacker game. It's ok, but very repetitive.
Terranigma Freak
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games