Legend of Heroes / Kongming / Cao Cao

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Which game is your favorite?

Legend of Heroes (Eiketsuden)
11%
Legend of Cao Cao (Sousouden)
48%
Legend of Kong Ming (Koumeiden)
5%
Unsure
8%
Never played them…
29%

Total votes : 65

Unread postby UzumakiJr » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:44 pm

Lady Wu wrote:I think you can do that in the PC Legend of Kongming (Koumeiden), but not for Heroes.

:shock:
no wonder everyone said that its difficult

Yeah, it's hard, but doable. Give Dian Wei the Book of Healing (Jia Xu's Poison really sucks, as in it really sucks Dian's life out). You must defeat Hu Juer in the first round with everyone except for Dian Wei (Cao Cao + Dunny + Xun Yu + someone else). You might need to save/load a couple of times to pull it off (you need at least one or two double-hits or critical hits, depending on your gear/level). Once Hu Juer is gone, Dian Wei runs! Hopefully he'd block a few hits during the enemy's turn (perhaps feed him a Fruit of Dex of you have one). If you've leveled up your gear and feel confident, everyone but Dian can stay in the fort and hold out until Dian Wei is a safe distance away from Zhang Xiu. Else retreat slowly. As long as Dian Wei is still alive by the time Cao Cao makes it to the west side, he's saved.

It can be really hard, but it's super worth it. Having Dian Wei on the team makes those awful naval battles somewhat more bearable.

oh I see, will try it later
yeah,those naval battle is killing me....
UzumakiJr
Tyro

Unread postby Terranigma Freak » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:34 pm

If you've leveled up your gear and feel confident, everyone but Dian can stay in the fort and hold out until Dian Wei is a safe distance away from Zhang Xiu.

I don't think that's actually possible. I mean the safe distance away from Zhang Xiu part. Zhang Xiu's a horse unit and his movement is superior to Dian Wei's. As I recall, Zhang Xiu doesn't exactly sit still in this battle. With the amount of enemies on the map, you really don't have a chance of moving very far from him.

I think the condition is you must be outside of the fences that surrounds the entire camp. Well, except the eastern opening. If Dian Wei's out of the fences and Cao Cao escapes, you don't even have to bother with going back for Dian Wei. The southern opening is the closest and easiest to reach quickly.
Terranigma Freak
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:46 pm

Terranigma Freak wrote:I don't think that's actually possible. I mean the safe distance away from Zhang Xiu part. Zhang Xiu's a horse unit and his movement is superior to Dian Wei's. As I recall, Zhang Xiu doesn't exactly sit still in this battle. With the amount of enemies on the map, you really don't have a chance of moving very far from him.

It is possible as long as you block him. He'll definitely get to Dian Wei on the first turn, but with some combination of skill and luck Dian can flee without Zhang Xiu at his back.

I think the condition is you must be outside of the fences that surrounds the entire camp. Well, except the eastern opening. If Dian Wei's out of the fences and Cao Cao escapes, you don't even have to bother with going back for Dian Wei. The southern opening is the closest and easiest to reach quickly.

The only condition is that Dian Wei must still be alive when Cao Cao reaches the western point.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Terranigma Freak » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:27 pm

The only condition is that Dian Wei must still be alive when Cao Cao reaches the western point.

No, I know that's not completely true. If Dian Wei is still in danger, Cao Cao will get a different conversation with Yu Jin, and the option to go back for Dian Wei, and then the chapter's winning condition changes to Dian Wei escaping to the western edge. If you've killed all the enemies or left the fence area, Cao Cao will not order reinforcements and just act regularly, and end the stage, but Dian Wei doesn't die either.
Terranigma Freak
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shadowlink » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:44 pm

I would like to say, Legend of Cao Cao is the most user friendly game there is and it is wayyyy better than Legend of Kongming; I struggled alot in Legend of Kongming and lose Zhang Fei, Guan Yu perm.
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Lord_LuBu » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:39 am

Is the graphics in the other games similiar to Legend of Cao Cao? LoCC is really good but im worried since the others are old, they wont be nearly as fun as LoCC.
Lord_LuBu
Assistant

Unread postby Lady Wu » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:05 am

Lord_LuBu wrote:Is the graphics in the other games similiar to Legend of Cao Cao? LoCC is really good but im worried since the others are old, they wont be nearly as fun as LoCC.

Legend of Kongming is similar to LoCC (most of LoCC's graphics are lifted from LoKM).

Heroes is a whole different story. 256-colour and all that, but graphics are decidedly dated (though still not too bad).
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Re: Legend of Heroes / Kongming / Cao Cao

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:40 pm

Just played through Legend of Kongming again. It's a nice after-work braindead relaxation game since it's so easy. While Heroes was a bit on the hard side, they went the polar opposite in Kongming. And it's stupid that new units join you at a fixed level--Zhuge Zhan joins at level 29, but his daddy was at level 48 already. The Zhao kids and Xiahou Ba are virtually useless in the game because they join so late and at such low levels.

The difficulty level only picked up around the end in battles where the enemy consists mostly of infantry and archers--both having access to the Confuse spell, and we having only 3 people to de-confuse (the Zhuges and Li Hui). That, I find, is really imbalanced. Plus the water spells in Heroes were taken out, so you can't do anything to enemies on bridges. The lack of area Earth attacks is also really annoying. The spells system in Heroes actually worked quite well, so I don't know why they had to change it in Kongming.

And the really, really annoying thing is: Li Hui can only move 1 square at a time inside castles! Who the heck thought of that? I understand the chariots should suffer movement penalty indoors, but why military band units??

However, I have to say that the script is decent, and there are a few touching moments involving Zhuge's family. Wish they developed the Zhuge Liang/Jin story a bit more, though.
Lady Wu

Unread postby KBTKaiser » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:10 pm

Huh, I think I still have my copy of Traditional Chinese Koumeiden lying around in my disc archives, courtesy of a burn from my cousins. Also, I could've sworn I've seen a updated Eiketsuden for Windows. I remember seeing a family friend's kid play it during a visit over very very long ago.

I never understood what Zhugeliang's heart meter was for though. I took that EXP fruit from the Guan Yu's wedding gift and used the retreat method like a madman for instant lv. 30s on the troops I picked at the 3 of 5-prong Yang Ping Gate assault(Wei from two sides, Jiang nomads from the 3rd)
KBTKaiser
Tyro

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:24 am

KBTKaiser wrote:I never understood what Zhugeliang's heart meter was for though.

If you keep retreating, the heart meter will go down. And if it's empty, Zhuge Liang will die at Wuzhangyuan.
Lady Wu

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games