Legend of Heroes / Kongming / Cao Cao

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Which game is your favorite?

Legend of Heroes (Eiketsuden)
11%
Legend of Cao Cao (Sousouden)
48%
Legend of Kong Ming (Koumeiden)
5%
Unsure
8%
Never played them…
29%

Total votes : 66

Unread postby Xiahou Ji » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:57 am

Legend of Cao Cao is the best for sure, I think I played 3 times, I needed to get all the weapons !! I always wait till the last round to kill the boss at that stage to power up my team. Dian Wei is my favorite, esp. saving him was so hard, need much luck.

I never really liked Legend of Kongming, dunno why, I finished it, and that's it, the only thing I remember is whether I (as Kongming) wanted my son to be like Zhao Yun or not. (That was one of the option, I only remember this because I chose that one...)

When I played Legend of Heros, I wasn't really a good gamer and I only power up Guan Yu and Zhang Fei, which turns out to be a waste since they all left and came back with high levels. I remember some of the battles were so bad because I don't have a power up team and lose badly but still able to get past the stage... And I can never beat Lu Xun at Yi Ling, Zhou Tai will always kill my Shamoke (I think...)
Then say you'll share with me one love, one lifetime;
let me lead you from your solitude.
Say you need me with you, here beside you,
anywhere you go, let me go too,
Christine, that's all I ask of you...
Xiahou Ji
Academic

Unread postby Lady Wu » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:48 am

Xiahou Ji wrote:Legend of Cao Cao is the best for sure, I think I played 3 times, I needed to get all the weapons !! I always wait till the last round to kill the boss at that stage to power up my team. Dian Wei is my favorite, esp. saving him was so hard, need much luck.

Which boss? Evil Kongming? I forget who the last boss is in the Red storyline--Sun Quan? (is it the one with the really really annoying wooden figurines?)

One of my favorite stages is the Chengdu stage in the Red storyline... Cao Cao and all the other Caos (that's the sucky part--you'd have to take people like Cao Ren and Cao Hong and Cao Pi along who you couldn't be bothered to level up before...oh well, they serve the purpose of lowering the average level (which means the enemy will be at a lower level too)) go attack Chengdu. I love it when they talk trash to Liu Shan---definitely satisfy my anti-Shu feelings (since there is no Wu-based Legend game, this would have to suffice:lol:). That level gave me a lot of pain before I understood the proper use of the Mirror Armour (all those ambushed catapults! Ugh).

I never really liked Legend of Kongming, dunno why, I finished it, and that's it, the only thing I remember is whether I (as Kongming) wanted my son to be like Zhao Yun or not. (That was one of the option, I only remember this because I chose that one...)

Now that you mentioned it, I remember another thing! There's one level where Zhuge Zhan and someone else had to guard a city and hold out until Zhuge Liang appears with reinforcements or something. Man, I remember so little about that game.

When I played Legend of Heros, I wasn't really a good gamer and I only power up Guan Yu and Zhang Fei, which turns out to be a waste since they all left and came back with high levels. I remember some of the battles were so bad because I don't have a power up team and lose badly but still able to get past the stage... And I can never beat Lu Xun at Yi Ling, Zhou Tai will always kill my Shamoke (I think...)

You should play that again. It's totally classic. You can avoid the nasty Lu Xun stage if you agree to a truce with Zhuge Jin :twisted:... you get an item to boost your defence stats, too! As for Zhou Tai in that stage, he is totally 變態 (sorry to Zhou Tai fans, hehehe)... if Shamoke goes near him a duel will always be triggered and Shamoke will always die. Even when I put a bunch of level 50 people there, they are no match for Zhou Tai unless I use bombs. You can't put cavalry units in that part because they'll get their butts kicked by the catapults, and they can't heal themselves either. So you have to put chariots there, but infantry-class units are always at the disadvantage against cavalry (even though their defence is higher). Level 56 Wang Ping can be killed by Zhou Tai in 2 hits :?.

Oh, with LoCC, you need to play 4 times. After you get all the weapons, the next time you play you have the option of starting out with ALL of them, so you will end up with almost 2 sets at the end--no more Xiahou Yuan and Xiahou Dun fighting for the same Mirror Armour! And both Dian Wei and Diao Chan can have the weapon that make people confused! Yay!

Speaking of Diao Chan, what are we supposed to make of her and Xu Chu anyway?...
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Xiahou Ji » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:49 pm

Which boss? Evil Kongming? I forget who the last boss is in the Red storyline--Sun Quan? (is it the one with the really really annoying wooden figurines?)

What I meant was for every stage, I wouldn't kill the boss of that stage until everyone of my team used up all the magic points to power up...

I love it when they talk trash to Liu Shan---definitely satisfy my anti-Shu feelings (since there is no Wu-based Legend game, this would have to suffice:lol:).

I don't remember that part, what were they talking about ?
I remember the toughest for me was Han Zhong I think, with Yuan boy being ambush or something (or something like finishing the stage in 10 rounds or less...)
I always know you like Wu, but I didn't know you are actually anti-Shu, which part of Shu you don't like ??? :roll:

Man, I remember so little about that game.

Yeah, of the three games, this one doesn't stand out at all... Maybe it's not the first one nor the last one...
They should create a Legend of Sun's, where you play Sun Jian/Ce/Quan... better yet, Legend of the Mom, where you play Sun Quan's mom and you got to save Jian from the rocks and Ce from Yu Ji, I bet you will get a kick out of it... :lol:

can avoid the nasty Lu Xun stage if you agree to a truce with Zhuge Jin ... As for Zhou Tai in that stage, he is totally 變態 (sorry to Zhou Tai fans, hehehe)... if Shamoke goes near him a duel will always be triggered and Shamoke will always die.

Never !!! I think I should play the game again and try to beat Lu Xun. A friend of mine claims he actually beat that stage... I just flee... :x

Oh, with LoCC, you need to play 4 times. After you get all the weapons, the next time you play you have the option of starting out with ALL of them, so you will end up with almost 2 sets at the end--no more Xiahou Yuan and Xiahou Dun fighting for the same Mirror Armour! And both Dian Wei and Diao Chan can have the weapon that make people confused! Yay!

Yeah I know, and every time you finish the game, you get more money or starting from a higher level. But 3 times is probably enough for me... and I guess you actually played at least 4 times ?
Xiahou Ji
Academic

Unread postby Lady Wu » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:22 pm

Xiahou Ji wrote:What I meant was for every stage, I wouldn't kill the boss of that stage until everyone of my team used up all the magic points to power up...

Tactical secret: when you play LoCC, resist levelling up. The level of the enemy is proportional to the average rank among your guys, so the earlier you level up, the earlier you get those nasty catapults, and magicians who could use that heal spell that could heal anyone anywhere. But feel free to level up armour and weapons though, because you get the items that give you stat boosts after you trained them to level 3 and sell them.

In LoH, though, use magic like mad to level up, and use the military band units to replenish magic points. The level of the opponents is dependent on the level, not on your average level. On the final level, I had a level 90-something Ma Liang going in to finish of a level 70-something Cao Cao :twisted:

Forgot what happens in LoKM...

I don't remember that part, what were they talking about ?

It's the level in LoCC where you go to Chengdu castle, no wooden soldiers, but tons of ambushes. There's Liu Shan and Zhuge Liang and all the strategist units huddled in the middle, surrounded by catapults; also the level where Xiahou Dun kills Zhao Yun in a duel (I think it was Dunny). When you first show up with the either Cao/Xiahou clan, you get a choice of either "convince Liu Shan to surrender" or "beat him up so bad that he'd have no inch of unhurt skin" (can't type Chinese on my office computer...:? ). If you choose the former Cao Cao will hurl abuses at Liu Shan, which probably aren't really bad insults, but it used to amuse me for some reason.

I remember the toughest for me was Han Zhong I think, with Yuan boy being ambush or something (or something like finishing the stage in 10 rounds or less...)

Oh that one. In the Blue storyline, you automaticaly retreat after round 10, and if Xiahou Yuan lost to Huang Zhong it's no big deal. If you managed to destroy all opponents (the hard part!) you get the Jade Seal (troop/morale recovery every turn). In the Red storyline, you get a choice to retreat after round 10, but you don't have to; but if Xiahou Yuan goes anywhere near Huang Zhong he will die (but you gain a horse, hehe). I actually like that level a lot... the hardest ones I think are still Chengdu, the last Jianye (or the one where the wooden soldiers come out right away), and the last Evil Kongming.

I always know you like Wu, but I didn't know you are actually anti-Shu, which part of Shu you don't like ??? :roll:

Just kidding! Just kidding!

But I admit some guilty pleasure in beating up Liu Shan, that I do.

Legend of the Mom, where you play Sun Quan's mom and you got to save Jian from the rocks and Ce from Yu Ji, I bet you will get a kick out of it... :lol:

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Never !!! I think I should play the game again and try to beat Lu Xun. A friend of mine claims he actually beat that stage... I just flee... :x

You just have to defeat Lu Xun to past that level, so put all your strongest troops on the north shore (people on the bottom are going to die anyway, unless you really really level up everyone and buy a bunch of bombs). He will personally rush up after you finish off the first wave of cavalry and catapult units, and you can usually drain his magic points by just severely cripple the units around him, which will cause him to use the 40-point super areal healing spell instead of using his nasty fire attack spells. What also helps is to have extra supply units and band units around (use the items to turn other people into those units---they level up faster being those units anyway, and you can't ever have too many band units).

Yeah I know, and every time you finish the game, you get more money or starting from a higher level. But 3 times is probably enough for me... and I guess you actually played at least 4 times ?

But 4th time you get ALL the items!!!
I played through the game from beginning to end at least a dozen times.

Yes, I have no life.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Xiahou Ji » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:52 am

But 4th time you get ALL the items!!!
I played through the game from beginning to end at least a dozen times.

Yes, I have no life.

Actually you just have to play some stage twice, and you would get both items. Well, I played all 3 times consecutively, without playing other games in between. Maybe I got tire of powering up and picking the team.

Tactical secret: when you play LoCC, resist levelling up. The level of the enemy is proportional to the average rank among your guys, so the earlier you level up, the earlier you get those nasty catapults, and magicians who could use that heal spell that could heal anyone anywhere. But feel free to level up armour and weapons though, because you get the items that give you stat boosts after you trained them to level 3 and sell them.

Yeah, but I just can't resist powering them up... as long as I have my Dian Wei, it's okay. I remember Xin Ping being a catapult and dropping rocks from inside the castle.

the hardest ones I think are still Chengdu, the last Jianye (or the one where the wooden soldiers come out right away), and the last Evil Kongming.

I think I power up early, so at the end, the difference between them and my team won't be that big. They may have higher life points and stuff, but they don't have any special new abilities, if I remember correctly...

But I admit some guilty pleasure in beating up Liu Shan, that I do.

Even a Shu fan like me enjoy that... 8-)
Xiahou Ji
Academic

Mori problem please

Unread postby localhost » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:36 am

Anyone played Legend of Mori??

I got thru the 6th or 7th battle, where I have the second son of Mori(?).. The battle lasts only 40 days and enemies keep coming from the top left and top right corner of the screen so everytime I kill one troop, another would replace.

Other than that, I have to go as far as the lower right corner to annihilate the orange colored troops. I always run out of time, anyone can help me with this??

My Mori is at level 18 where others usually at level 11.

Another thing..
In battle screen, if I turn on NJStar, there always been an exception..so I have to turn off the NJStar. Anyone knows how to deal with it?
Never underestimate the power of PlayStation!
localhost
Tyro

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:05 am

I've heard that there are user mods out for these games that even allow a Wu-centric storyline. I demand proof!
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:39 am

I've read that too in a Chinese forum. I'm not sure it's 100% completed, though. There are all these people writing mods for LoCC---someone's trying to do a Liu Bei-centric one (basically Legend of Heroes again, but in a better game). I tried downloading some Wu stuff, but the links are either dead or the file wouldn't open... :(

PS: there was some talk on the Chinese forums a while back too, doing a Wu-centric game from scratch. The storyline and the levels are basically written. But whoever was working on it seemed to have dropped the project... :(
Lady Wu

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:04 am

I'm already working on a game, but it'll be non-centric to any kingdom. And it'll probably never be finished, either. But help is always appreciated! :P
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby Jordan » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:53 pm

I know I've never played these games but I wanted to pop in anyways because I have a question. I've heard of Legend of Cao Cao and Legend of Kongming+Legend of Heroes or whatever but I'm curious about this Legend of Mori. Does that implicate the Mori clan of Aki or something or is it about the Moris serving Nobunaga or something else entirely? I'm curious because I've never heard of a game where the main character was Motonari, even though he was a really excellent daimyo. And yeah I remember your project Gongli. How's that going by the way? The only character art of your's that I've seen is Jiang Qin, who looked pretty damn good imo.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games