Legend of Heroes / Kongming / Cao Cao

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Which game is your favorite?

Legend of Heroes (Eiketsuden)
11%
Legend of Cao Cao (Sousouden)
48%
Legend of Kong Ming (Koumeiden)
5%
Unsure
8%
Never played them…
29%

Total votes : 65

Unread postby Lady Wu » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:12 am

Unfortunately they are only available in Chinese.

I would so translate the games and make everyone on this forum play it, but alas, I lack the computer skillz...

---

Is there a Battle of Xuchang I? It seems that every time after Zhao Yun/Pang Tong's sneak attack force did their work I join up with them in Xuchang II (the one where you get Zhang Liao).

---
Edit: Mr Koei, I got LoKM to work liao! It's amazing. I didn't even remember what the battles were like. :?
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Carp's Tail » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:32 pm

Yeah, I'm quite certain that you can have two battles at Xu Chang. Basically, with your Pang Tong force, you pick up Jiang Wei at Chen Cang (of course, defeating Hao Zhao). Then at Chang An, you lose against Cao Zhen. You can either pick or ignore getting Xu Shu (I think, but am not sure, that if you lose at Chang An, when you go back to Liu Bei, he'll march onto Luo Yang and you'll get a second shot at Xu Shu). Then after Luo Yang, you fight Sima Yi and Cao Zhi at the first battle of Xu Chang. This battle's map has at least one or two rivers criss-crossing it, so of course you'll have to be wary of 1) bottling up your armies as they cross the rivers, and 2) any enemy catapults that try to pick you off from across the river.
Engage in combat fully determined to die and you will be alive; wish to survive in the battle and you will surely meet death.
-- Uesugi Kenshin
Carp's Tail
征夷大將軍

Unread postby Lady Wu » Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:04 pm

Argh, my Xuchang II battle save was corrupted, and when I started the game today to play this second-to-last level, this was what happened:

"Surely, that wasn't what Zhuge Liang said then? Isn't he supposed to ask if I was ready to go to battle?" I thought. Or perhaps I forgot that scene wrong? So I talked to the other people in the room. It got me really freaked out:

I have to say there's nothing scarier than having your saved games corrupted in a way that the characters do nothing but laugh at you. :x

It was impossible for me to go to Xuchang. In fact, clicking on the "What to do now" button gave me:

I fled from this insanity. After I cautiously made my way back to the meeting hall, everyone left!

Now it looks like I'll have to start from scratch. :evil: (The last save that wasn't corrupted was, uh, Xinye.)
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Carp's Tail » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:03 am

That's some crazy stuff, Flo!
Engage in combat fully determined to die and you will be alive; wish to survive in the battle and you will surely meet death.
-- Uesugi Kenshin
Carp's Tail
征夷大將軍

Unread postby Lady Wu » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:01 am

Oh why oh why didn't I finish the game before leaving California? :cry:

This bites.
Lady Wu

Unread postby GuangRong » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:06 am

Hah Hah Hah is a common last line of dialogue after everything else pple want to say is exhausted..

U sure you've not forgetten someone??
have u clicked on everthing and everyone ??

Is there an autosave feature ? Games of these nature usually autosaves at the start of the chapter..

But , this is such an old game ,the autosave feature that we took for granted today weren't in vogue then..
Magister mundi sum!!
GuangRong
Langzhong

Unread postby Lady Wu » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:38 am

There's no autosave, and that save was made after you made a decision to go to battle and the computer asks you if you wanna save. I already clicked on everyone in the scene (they all said hahaha).

Fortunately, I have the same save on my desktop, and that one seems to be normal so far...
Lady Wu

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:33 am

Ah, finally found the First Xuchang battle, and finished the game. What a good game (I think this is the first time I matched the resurrected Cao Cao's level)! I think I would vote this over LoCC if the items weren't so annoying (the stupid magic books/scrolls... keep taking up space... and the weapons aren't anywhere as cool as those in LoCC--come on, why do Guan and Zhang's weapons give you the least bonus?). The lack of saves during battle makes things a lot more exciting (sometimes annoying, like when you get to Ye battle 3 and realize that your officers are in the wrong side of the castle).

Who do people bring to the last battle? I had Liu Bei, Guan Yu, Zhang Fei, Ma Chao, Zhao Yun, Guan Xing, Wei Yan (turned into cavalry), Zhang Liao, Jiang Wei (turned into chariot), Li Yan, Zhou Cang (turned into catapult), Zhuge Liang, Pang Tong, Ma Liang, and Ma Su. I think next time I'll try to have more chariot units (more troops, better defence, and heal spells--crucial for Ye 2) and turn Ma Liang into a magician. It was really hard levelling up Ma Su, since military band units have limited tactic points, and there is no way to restore the points (whereas the other units can have their tp's restored by standing next to the band). Suggestions?
Lady Wu

Unread postby Terranigma Freak » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:18 pm

Oh man, I love the Legends series. It's like Fire Emblem, but with ROTK characters! I have Legend Of Cao Cao and it's hands down THE BEST in the series. The game is not only long, but offers a huge twist near the half way point of the game. If you're evil, you get a story that's closer to the original ROTK. If you're good, a certain someone get taken over by a demon and the story takes a HUGE twist. So it's almost like having 2 games... well... almost.
Terranigma Freak
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:04 pm

Lady Wu wrote:Oh, and is it humanly possible to save the lower contingent in Yiling (after you refuse Zhuge Jin's proposal twice, and fight against Lu Xun, where his fire attack renders all units only 1/4 of their regular numbers and 1/2 morale)? Saving Liu Bei north of the river is a piece of cake, but I couldn't ever figure out what to do with the south part (you only get 5 units, and I had 1 supply force, 1 military band, 2 chariots (Fa Zheng and Meng Da) and 1 cavalry (Zhang Bao). They're all at level 50 but when Zhou Tai came along, their butts all got kicked...

Alright, I can answer my own question now.

Yes, it's possible to save the lower contingent. I had Mi Zhu (lvl 49), Sun Qian (lvl 51), Guan Xing (lvl 41), Fa Zheng (lvl 55), and Wang Ping (lvl 56), each equipped with a few bombs and Herbal Medicines (中藥). Zhou Tai was the toughest Wu general, so I took him out with 3 bombs (or 2 bombs + a good hit or a Fire Dragon from Wang Ping) right away. I kept using bombs until the enemy units adjacent to my guys are ones that have lower attack abilities, then I just sit around and heal and wait for the upper contigent to be done and rejoin (use up Lu Xun's tactic points, then just leave him up there til the end). There is also a little point that jets out from the upper shore from which Ma Liang can use the 14 point heal spell on a square on the southern shore.

It would be even easier if I had put Ma Liang (lvl 69 supply unit) and Pang Tong (lvl 66 military band--yes, I was insane) on the southern shore, since they had more spell points than Sun and Mi and could keep using mass heal spells. However, I decided to not use them there because mass heal spells only give you 8 experience points, so they would level out a lot slower than if they were on the norther shore and use the regular 12-exp-point spells.

Hard work (in levelling up the people earlier) pays off. :D
Lady Wu

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games