Legend of Heroes / Kongming / Cao Cao

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Which game is your favorite?

Legend of Heroes (Eiketsuden)
11%
Legend of Cao Cao (Sousouden)
48%
Legend of Kong Ming (Koumeiden)
5%
Unsure
8%
Never played them…
29%

Total votes : 65

Unread postby GuangRong » Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:30 am

Lady Wu wrote:But I may have remembered wrong... I take back what I said about the difficulty of Legend of Heroes--I'm stuck in Jieqiao!!!!!! I think the problem is that I didn't level up enough earlier on... (but how? I already had people attack troops of a higher level, didn't let Tao Qian join the first battle, chose Julu (the crazy Zhang He level) over Qinghe, etc...)

Didn't u use the standard SLG "strategy" of getting extra XP ??

The game do give out EXP for hurting an enemy in additional to a big bonus to whoever land the kiiling blow , right ?

On those mission with no time limits,
isolate a lone enemy at one corner , take turns to strike at him , careful not to kill him,
let him rest up or even heal him and repeat. the process until you had enough ...

OR perhaps you have spread you XP(kills) too thin ? a Small, core group of high level troops is more effective than a large group with lower level..
Magister mundi sum!!
GuangRong
Langzhong

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:47 am

Of course I tried that strategy, but usually my guys are dying and I dun have enough items to go around, so I just say "forget it" and bail :P

I think I'm just way out of practice and didn't get the timing quite right, and sometimes I accidentally kill someone (like I did with Lu Bu, and lost all those exps!) because I don't know how heavily a character will hit. I was too used to Legend of Cao Cao where they give you an estimate of how much damage you'll make, before you actually do the attack (it's a bit like cheating, I know). I guess I just have to find the formula for damage-dealing, heh.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Carp's Tail » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:28 pm

What I do for Jieqiao is make sure that Gongsun Zan and Zhao Yun live just long enough to clear out much of Yuan Shao's rabble. Then as soon as Yuan Shao enters the fray, I finish off his little minions but then make a mad dash for the granary held by Guo Tu. Yuan Shao seems to be quite content to stay in the fortress in the southern part of the map, oddly. I'm not sure how else to explain this strategy other than to try to sneak at least 2-3 of your guys, including Liu Bei past Yuan Shao's southern garrison before heading up north to Guo Tu's granary.

You may have to whack Yuan Shao down to about 150 men, but my focus is to move the units northward.
Engage in combat fully determined to die and you will be alive; wish to survive in the battle and you will surely meet death.
-- Uesugi Kenshin
Carp's Tail
征夷大將軍

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:12 pm

I think I've done it either way before--it's easier to have Liu Bei and one other guy take the northern route as soon as possible (i.e. after the first group of enemy men, I think led by Guo Tu). It may be possible to leave Yuan Shao in the castle or have him confused (hard, because of his high(er) INT) and make a dash for the granary, but it's been a long time since I've done that.

This time what happened was that Zhao Yun killed Yuan Shao before I could get to the granary :x I need to get the LoCC mentality out of my head--in LoCC one strategy is to delay levelling in the early levels, since the level of enemy troops is a function of your average combattant level (I can make it to Chengdu in the red storyline without Zhuge Liang knowing the long distance mega-heal), and you want to level up your items (to get the "fruits" for stats) before the people are too high a level. So I automatically rely on ally troops to do the work for me, heh.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Jiang Zhi » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:48 pm

I'm all the way in the Northern Campaign in the Legends of Kongming - that's before I got Win XP...

Now I'm in limbo! What's Legend of Heroes?
Jiang Zhi of Foshan, style Maodi
~*!越武帝!*~ - 我愛我的妻子孫尚香!
Nan Hai, Jiaozhou

Laconius Arts and Design My Rot3K fanfiction
Jiang Zhi
Sun Shang Xiang's puppy-eyed slave

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:32 am

Jiang Zhi wrote:Now I'm in limbo! What's Legend of Heroes?

英傑傳--instead of Kongming, Liu Bei's the central character--you start with the anti-Dong Zhuo campaign. The game predates LoKM (it came out 1995 or something?)

Mr Koei: how do you fiddle w/ the executable to make LoKM work?????

Edit for preventing double posting: Just passed the two Changban's, didn't have to restart, and even managed to get the Qinghong Sword off Xiahou En (which I have never done before). I'm still shaky from the battle! BTW, is it possible at all to upgrade to the level 30 units before Changban? I know there's a chariot in the Chen Wu battle (where you find Dilu), but I can't locate anything else in the cities. It's not fair that Xiahou Dun gets to be elite guard (whatever you call 親衛隊) and not my Zhao Yun!
Lady Wu

Unread postby GuangRong » Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:17 am

Lady Wu wrote:Mr Koei: how do you fiddle w/ the executable to make LoKM work?????

From experience , most of my problem , with Old pre- Win98 Games seems to be that the game require u to set the dsiplay to 256 color mode , which is non-exisitence on Fairly new PCS ..(in this case, anything pre-installed with XP)

When you right click on the exe file,
Under the option to set compatibility Mode for win 95 , just ticked the option to start in 256 color mode..(dun touch the show in 640X480 option though..)

and it will run , abiet in a window.., you dun even have to set compatibily mode to win 95 /win98..
Magister mundi sum!!
GuangRong
Langzhong

Unread postby Carp's Tail » Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:56 pm

Lady Wu wrote:Edit for preventing double posting: Just passed the two Changban's, didn't have to restart, and even managed to get the Qinghong Sword off Xiahou En (which I have never done before). I'm still shaky from the battle! BTW, is it possible at all to upgrade to the level 30 units before Changban? I know there's a chariot in the Chen Wu battle (where you find Dilu), but I can't locate anything else in the cities. It's not fair that Xiahou Dun gets to be elite guard (whatever you call 親衛隊) and not my Zhao Yun!

I always manage to snag Xiahou En's sword ;-) but that's because in Changban 1, I move all the cavalry (Zhang Fei, Zhao Yun, Guan Ping), Liu Bei, Zhuge Liang, and maybe one more relatively unimportant fellow into the southeastern island. All the other units (e.g. Liu Pi, Mi Fang, Liu Feng, Jian Yong, Zhou Cang) are used to hold off Cao Cao's advance while the villagers flee. I also manage to get Liu Bei to Level 30 and transform him into a chariot unit in Changban 1.

In Changban 2, I move all the survivors to the village at the southern foot of the mountain. As Cao Cao's forces draw closer, I move Liu Bei up north and south along the southwestern part of the mountain to try to spread out Cao Cao's forces, keeping an eye on Xiahou En. Then Zhao Yun goes in for the kill. By this time, Zhao Yun, Zhang Fei, Guan Ping, and Zhuge Liang are quite swamped with Cao Cao's army, which means they don't last for very long. By the time it's resolved, the villagers will have reached the northwestern bridge.
Engage in combat fully determined to die and you will be alive; wish to survive in the battle and you will surely meet death.
-- Uesugi Kenshin
Carp's Tail
征夷大將軍

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:13 am

I think the reason why I didn't realize the Zhao Yun vs. Xiahou En duel ever before is because in Changban 2, I always let the mountain units deal with the mountain units (bandits + martial artists), so only Zhou Cang and Fan Gong (or whichever early bandit I happen to have with me) ever come in contact with Xiahou En. :P

Oh, and is it humanly possible to save the lower contingent in Yiling (after you refuse Zhuge Jin's proposal twice, and fight against Lu Xun, where his fire attack renders all units only 1/4 of their regular numbers and 1/2 morale)? Saving Liu Bei north of the river is a piece of cake, but I couldn't ever figure out what to do with the south part (you only get 5 units, and I had 1 supply force, 1 military band, 2 chariots (Fa Zheng and Meng Da) and 1 cavalry (Zhang Bao). They're all at level 50 but when Zhou Tai came along, their butts all got kicked...

PS: I'm always really amused at the severe plot transition problem between the battle of Yiling and the Shu-Wu alliance. Of course, if Liu Bei had called pax when Zhuge Jin came over, it would have been fine, but it's a little weird when you decide to fight the two Wu battles. One moment Lu Xun is beating the daylights out of you, and the next he's helping you regain Xiangyang. I think they should at least have Lu Xun refuse to help you if you chose to fight Wu earlier on.
Lady Wu

Unread postby Cao Ah Man » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:59 am

...umm...where can you get these wonderful games? and in english?
Cao Ah Man
Scholar

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games