Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:56 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Kill all your officers first turn challenge accepted! :wink:

Achievement unlocked: Darth Vader's Approval
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qin Feng » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:49 pm

Sounds pretty accurate for Dong Zhuo to tell you the truth
Qin Feng
Assistant

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:44 am

Dong Zhuo wasn't terrible to his men. I'd say Trigger Finger McHappy Execution was the human pile of garbage known as Wang Yun.
RIP Cai Yong.
"Looking at Zhong Hui is like viewing an armory, one sees only spears and lances"
— Pei Kai
Check out this list of historical resources I have.
Check out this list of cited biographies I have written.
DaoLunOfShiji
Scholar

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:25 am

DaoLunOfShiji wrote:Dong Zhuo wasn't terrible to his men. I'd say Trigger Finger McHappy Execution was the human pile of garbage known as Wang Yun.
RIP Cai Yong.

Yeah the mechanic strikes me as a bit odd. Dong Zhuo randomly killing his own generals like a saturday morning cartoon villain to increase an actual evilness stat doesn't feel right.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby zirroxas » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:00 pm

Gray Riders wrote:Yeah the mechanic strikes me as a bit odd. Dong Zhuo randomly killing his own generals like a saturday morning cartoon villain to increase an actual evilness stat doesn't feel right.

He did execute a few Han ministers if I remember correctly, but yeah his own soldiers were pretty safe from him, probably because they joined in.

That time in the 2010 series when he made everyone eat a dude was pretty entertaining.
I don't underrate the value of military knowledge, but if men make war in slavish obedience to rules, they will fail. - Ulysses S. Grant
zirroxas
Initiate

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:25 pm

Gray Riders wrote:
DaoLunOfShiji wrote:Dong Zhuo wasn't terrible to his men. I'd say Trigger Finger McHappy Execution was the human pile of garbage known as Wang Yun.
RIP Cai Yong.

Yeah the mechanic strikes me as a bit odd. Dong Zhuo randomly killing his own generals like a saturday morning cartoon villain to increase an actual evilness stat doesn't feel right.

The "ties damsels to train tracks and twirls evil moustache" trait didn't give you a hint?
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:46 pm

zirroxas wrote:He did execute a few Han ministers if I remember correctly, but yeah his own soldiers were pretty safe from him, probably because they joined in.

They all had it coming, let's be honest. More people should've taken after him in that respect.

Dong Zhou wrote:The "ties damsels to train tracks and twirls evil moustache" trait didn't give you a hint?

Ties in really when with Shogun 2's Fall of the Samurai, as that game did have a train system in the campaign. Dong Zhuo is a confirmed Time Traveler.
"Looking at Zhong Hui is like viewing an armory, one sees only spears and lances"
— Pei Kai
Check out this list of historical resources I have.
Check out this list of cited biographies I have written.
DaoLunOfShiji
Scholar

Unread postby Qin Feng » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:37 pm

The requirements have been released:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/three-kin ... stem-specs
Qin Feng
Assistant

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:49 pm

Kong Rong stream was shown yesterday. Looked really nice overall.
Siege weapons seem a bit overpowered but that is something that can be balanced before release or shortly after.

I can see how Kong Rong can ally himself into a corner if he is not careful, plus the game kinda pushes you into fighting Yuan Shao which can be difficult when playing as Kong Rong, however I suppose if you make good use of your allies you can distract his main forces while you plow into Yuan Shao's side when he is off fighting Gongsun Zan or Cao Cao.

Love the whole trade deals bonus that Kong Rong gets, but I can see that being a bit overpowered as you get bigger and are making tons of money on your own in addition to the trade deals, but I suppose when you get really big more people will be declaring war on you rather then trading with you.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:14 pm

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:Kong Rong stream was shown yesterday. Looked really nice overall.
Siege weapons seem a bit overpowered but that is something that can be balanced before release or shortly after.

That's what happens when they take a third century game and add a twelfth century artillery piece. :P

My memory isn't great (especially now when I'm sick) but weren't fortification assaults of this time (at least in China) REALLY nasty because artillery wasn't effective against the defenses? I guess they buffed artillery since they want most cities to fall to assault instead of being staved out (Med I was the last time I remember TW having most sieges ended with starvation).

Edit:
Apparently the trebs are currently bugged:
https://old.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comme ... e/ej1icp5/
So they should be less devastating on release.

Have we heard of any other artillery in the game, by the way? Did Han China have anything like ballistas or scorpions?
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games