Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postby zirroxas » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:06 pm

She does look like a nice change of pace mechanically, something of a mix between Attila's hordes and the Greenskins in Warhammer.

I've honestly come around to the idea of playing a historical nobody. It's one of those campaigns that's so out there and comes with no guidelines of how I'm supposed to progress, so can just go full ham and see what happens without things feeling awkward when the sandbox takes weird turns.

I'm still going to play Cao Cao first, just to get the "traditional" experience as a baseline, but she might be my second or third playthrough.
I don't underrate the value of military knowledge, but if men make war in slavish obedience to rules, they will fail. - Ulysses S. Grant
zirroxas
Apprentice

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:38 pm

I'm fine with Zheng Jiang, even if she's utterly unknown and possibly nonexistent as a single person. I like games that offer both historical and "what if" factions -- which is also why I'm okay with Kong Rong trying out the whole warlord thing. (Seems I might be alone on that latter point. :lol:)

I think there are other females that would be more interesting story-wise, but I suppose they wouldn't offer the anarchy aspect that they were looking for with Miss Zheng.
Jia Nanfeng
Academic

Unread postby Jolt » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:21 am

The only noteworthy thing about this character was that she was a woman, so I assume this is to scratch the feminism women empowerment off the bucket list.
Jolt
Master

Unread postby Gray Riders » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:09 pm

King Rong Legends:
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war ... -kong-rong
Honestly I assumed after the square theory was debunked he was going to be the nonplayable one. Maybe they upped it to twelve warlords?

I think there's a chance Dong Zhuo is going to be non-playable. We'll see.

Kong Rong's "pacifistic" campaign sounds unique, though. His dilemma is "do I want Taishi Ci?"
Tough question! :lol:
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qin Feng » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:20 pm

I really hope they don't leave out Dong Zhuo just to includo Kong Rong, that would be quite a disappointment. I also find kind of ironic to find a peaceful style of character in a TOTAL WAR game.
Qin Feng
Initiate

Unread postby Gray Riders » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:25 pm

Qin Feng wrote:I really hope they don't leave out Dong Zhuo just to includo Kong Rong, that would be quite a disappointment. I also find kind of ironic to find a peaceful style of character in a TOTAL WAR game.

I think they might want to make him a "boss" enemy, like the Mongols in both Medieval games or the Ashikaga in Shogun II. Dong Zhuo as non-playable seems to be gaining some traction as a possibility on reddit. We'll see, though.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:33 pm

I think that's what they'll do. I can imagine them wishing to charge people extra to have him as DLC going down like a lead balloon though. Like, even worse than normal cost DLC complaints.

I actually think Kong Rong makes sense for this game. It's not like DW whose target market are Three Kingdom fans. Total War fans are often in to history but are unlikely to know much about this specific period. They will have heard of Confucius though, so a character connected to him will be someone they have a connection too.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:36 pm

Sun Fin wrote:I actually think Kong Rong makes sense for this game. It's not like DW whose target market are Three Kingdom fans. Total War fans are often in to history but are unlikely to know much about this specific period. They will have heard of Confucius though, so a character connected to him will be someone they have a connection too.

This is part of why I suggested a few pages back (before the square flag thing) that Kong Rong seemed possible to me.

Also, LiuBeiWasGreat 100% called Kong Rong's dilemma!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24323&start=210#p617331
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:42 pm

Do we know yet how far along the timeline this game goes? I've been trying to avoid spoilers outside of characters, but my curiosity is getting to me now.

The reason I ask is because so far it seems Total War: Late Han would be a better title. :lol: I know the term "Three Kingdoms" generally starts with the Yellow Turbans because of the Romance, but it's going to be a bit odd playing a game where the actual three kingdoms from 220 aren't part of it.
Jia Nanfeng
Academic

Unread postby zirroxas » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:26 pm

Jia Nanfeng wrote:Do we know yet how far along the timeline this game goes? I've been trying to avoid spoilers outside of characters, but my curiosity is getting to me now.

The reason I ask is because so far it seems Total War: Late Han would be a better title. :lol: I know the term "Three Kingdoms" generally starts with the Yellow Turbans because of the Romance, but it's going to be a bit odd playing a game where the actual three kingdoms from 220 aren't part of it.

Given that the game map is as big as Attila and has four turns per year, a full domination campaign could probably take you to about 240AD.

They went into some detail on how their "Three Kingdoms" and the emperor mechanic worked on the Rally Point video and the blog from yesterday (https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-the- ... ember-2018).

Essentially, anyone who controls Emperor Xian gets the "Han Empire" as a vassal, with anyone who's still loyal to it (likely going to shrink constantly). You can get Xian by conquering the capitol of the faction who has him, so Dong Zhuo in Chang'an at the start. However, once your prestige rank gets high enough, you can declare yourself emperor, Xian will abdicate, and whoever controls the Han empire just gets them as a normal vassal.

Once one person declares themselves emperor, two other people can also do so (likely the second and third most powerful factions). This is what forms the "Three Kingdoms." Other factions still exist, and if they conquer the capitol of an emperor, they can overthrow them and become an emperor themselves (basically their version of the Jin situation).
I don't underrate the value of military knowledge, but if men make war in slavish obedience to rules, they will fail. - Ulysses S. Grant
zirroxas
Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games