Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:12 pm

Ma Teng's bio can be read in both ways. The section that talks about Ma Teng and Han Sui ruling together implies they are the same faction but the bit that Grey Riders quotes suggests otherwise. My gut is that they will be one faction in game but based on your decisions Han Sui might rebel against you creating an in-game splinter faction but not one that will be playable initially.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:31 pm

I am going to guess that it's similar to the way factions are group in modern Total Wars, like the Successor Kingdoms in Rome II include three separate nations but they're all listed together. I imagine this will be Liang Warlords and Ma Teng and Han Sui will be separate, but allied factions.
"I take Heaven and Earth to be my dwelling, and my rooms are my coat and pants; so what are you gentlemen doing in my pants?"
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
DaoLunOfShiji
Master

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:52 pm

Going by reddit we're not the only ones confused about Han Sui.

I think he'll actually be a non-playable faction. We've already seen posters for people who won't start out with their main leader (Zhuge Liang).
Edit: Ma Chao poster.
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1061997046914301955
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qin Feng » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:54 pm

I expected Ma Chao's attire to look a little more... Flamboyant :lol:
Qin Feng
Initiate

Unread postby Gray Riders » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:19 pm

Liu Biao is playable!
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war ... s-liu-biao

It sounds like Cai Mao and Huang Zu are independent vassal factions instead of working directly for him?

Your sons, though your flesh and blood, sadly don’t show the same level of promise that their father did at their age, and you may need to look outside of your current family to secure your legacy.

...they want you to turn his lands over to Liu Bei, don't they?
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:35 pm

I assume that Liu Biao's military force despite consisting of Huang Zhong will be rather weak. Probably will have to order Huang Zu and Cai Mao to assist in the early battles before you can eventually absorb them directly.
I cannot imagine a fight with Sun Jian going well. :lol:

Gray Riders: They might also be suggesting surrendering to Cao Cao perhaps.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:05 pm

DaoLunOfShiji wrote:I am going to guess that it's similar to the way factions are group in modern Total Wars, like the Successor Kingdoms in Rome II include three separate nations but they're all listed together. I imagine this will be Liang Warlords and Ma Teng and Han Sui will be separate, but allied factions.

and I would assume, bar doing something to ensure they don't ally, easy to absorb peacefully.

Qin Feng wrote:I expected Ma Chao's attire to look a little more... Flamboyant :lol:

It does lack a little flair though looks nice, booo for the helmet

I like what they have done with Liu Biao, novel based but fresh. Go big on scholarship and use to good effect, I like the sound of traditionalist having to try to adapt to a changing world, yay using Cai Mao and Huang Zu as the big allies. My concern is the unworthy succesors thing, that could be an interestingly different dynamic or see it choosing Liu Bei every blasted time.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:31 pm

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1062721855524614144

So Liu Biao like his distant relative is also a wood elf with nature protecting him, plus he also can deflect arrows with his stone like skin.
I assume that any other playable Liu leaders will do the same.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:02 pm

Huang Zhong.
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1063109902632185857

Him being a tank instead of a damage dealer feels kind of weird.

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa-Sp1fwHmA
Diplomacy video.

Army caps are back, which I consider a crippling downside.
Han Empire is it's own faction, it seems. Seems to be led by Huangfu Song.

Blog post with more info:
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/diplomacy ... oms-part-1

I hate army caps being back but the new diplomacy looks interesting. Although confederating vassals is apparently treacherous so Huang Zu and Cai Mao being vassals is weird.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:40 am

Didn't notice that anyone talked about the diplomacy video, as the site doesn't note when an edit is made :lol:

The army cap could be bothersome, especially considering how big the map is. Hopefully higher ranks get more then simply one additional army each promotion as having like 6-7 armies by the end will make it super hard to defend your lands as you expand.

The diplomacy itself seems very interesting, I am eager to learn more, I can see vassels not being happy to see a different vassal being confederated as they might be next to lose their freedom. Perhaps there might be ways to get around the penalty if the confederation seems more natural rather then being bullied into it.

It also could be the concept of promising a vassal that you will never confederate then confederating anyway which will anger people not simply the fact of confederating itself.
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games