Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postby Ranbir » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:22 pm

THere are two modes. The most fantastical version where generals are akin to Warhammer heroes being armies upon themselves.

Then there is the normal version where they behave like general units.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:50 pm

Mikhail wrote:Dian Wei poster out.

I would love for other faction's people as well but I guess they are going down the Cao faction list first...

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1021032113901121537

Yeah would be nice for a bit of variety

Dian Wei: The armour style doesn't make for a great drawing but should look good in the game, a sense of power in the arms, I like the red tying together pieces of the armour, mixed well with leather, solid face. I like Cry in the Forest and skills are suited, I am delighted at double halberds just not with their naming it
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:43 pm

Xiahou Yuan is now up:
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1023206440314396672

The jokes about "blazing saddles" shall not cease in our lifetime. Logistics bonus is interesting.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:54 pm

I'm not a fan of his appearance, would give that a 5, face struggles to stand out under that helmet, I tend not to be a big fan of red clothing though again good tying up the armour. The skills intrigue me, logistics has never been part of total war (bar producing enough resources to pay for your army) so their using his logistics is intresting and they seem to be pushing on the speed, would give the skills an 8.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:37 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:I'm not a fan of his appearance, would give that a 5, face struggles to stand out under that helmet, I tend not to be a big fan of red clothing though again good tying up the armour. The skills intrigue me, logistics has never been part of total war (bar producing enough resources to pay for your army) so their using his logistics is intresting and they seem to be pushing on the speed, would give the skills an 8.

Judging by the icon for his logistics skill (a crossbow) it might just be a bonus to ammunition for ranged units, but they added feeding units and supplying armies in Throne of Britannia so we might see more focus in that direction in Three Kingdoms.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mikhail » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:22 pm

Here is some info regarding the classic mode of thos game.

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war ... assic-mode

I'll probably be predominantly playing the Romance mode since I enjoyed TW Warhammer more than the historical titles but the approach for the classic mode isn't bad at all.
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:39 pm

They were wise to make an announcement like that, I knew a fair few fans who were concerned that their turn (as it were) was going to fantasy game and that classic mode would be half baked sop, they were concerned at the warhammerist route they were going for which isn't why they play Total War. I also know a fair few who are 100% convinced this game is a plot to end history games, that the delay was solely to add classic mode to appease the outrage, that there will be lots of woman officers and fantasy

While I'm likely to play romance mode (unless classic story/characters are significantly altered to make it worth playing as well), I'm not unsympathetic to the concerns. It was genuine and they needed reassurance, I'm not sure by itself that announcement will do it for majority of the concerned but a few videos may well help in future and it should provide some soothing anyway. Those convinced this is an evil fantasy project won't be soothed till game is out I suspect
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:48 pm

I'm impressed (and a little surprised) they're changing character's models for classic mode.

I need to see campaign game play before I can make a decision about the game one way or another but it mostly sounds promising so far.

Edit:
Three Kingdoms will be playable at Gamescom.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressrele ... 8_Show.php
Lady Sun confirmed as a usable character. They're using the "Sun Ren" version of her name.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:51 am

Will be intresting to see how some of the audience react to Sun Ren being a general. I'm perfectly happy with it, I like having female generals and at the very least she should be an agent given the chaos she caused Shu. I'm also glad for Total War showing off non-Wei stuff
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:16 pm

Great to see SSX as a general. :mrgreen:

Any word if that’s limited to the Romance mode?
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Jia Nanfeng
Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games