Legend of Cao Cao Online

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: Legend of Cao Cao Online

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:33 am

Aside from turn redos, I actually haven't spent any gold yet. :cry:

And I haven't gotten too deep into the story mode quests, but it's usually something I only do when I have some time to kill. That said, the level barrier is much lower than conquering China, I have definitely hit a point where the ports and gates aren't quite the pushovers they once were.

Where are you at now? I'm still working on southern Liang at the moment (Yangzhou?).
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Hyper90 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:49 am

Zyzyfer wrote:Where are you at now? I'm still working on southern Liang at the moment (Yangzhou?).

I just captured YiZhou (S) and just unlocked YiZhou (N). Lots of gates to break :?
Every since I entered YiZhou I had to personally handle those mini castle/port/gate assaults instead of Auto Battle without of worrying lost of units and losing. Auto Battle comes very handy when recapturing lost bases but not ports/gates/mini castles.

Military drill became much grindy ever since your commanders reached the 50s and energy draining too :( . 4 repeats and your commanders are depleted.
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die. " Sima Yi

take a look please
Hyper90
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:52 pm

I personally prioritized unifying China over Story mode quests. Story Mode is just fun to see the story, which I already saw with the original PC version some years ago. Unifying China, though, will give you the resources to level up many more characters, which in turn helps you meet the requirements for the brand new Story Modes they're adding (like Yan Baihu!). Having the ability to create more artifacts also helps you deal with those new Story Modes too, as you're not going to be finishing Yan Baihu's without a higher-end Pouch. ;)

For gold, I'd prioritize spending it on commander skills/unlocks with Annihilation in mind rather than story to start. Why? Because Annihiliation is going to be your main source of new gold, unless you want to spend money on the game. Adding a strong gold-cost Annihilation character like Hao Zhao or Cai Yan and being able to gear them up for the mode will help you get gold back in return, thus continuing the cycle and making you stronger over time.
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:47 pm

I will say that knocking out Zhang Jue's normal mode is worthwhile for the quest reward, the 10% MP regen accessory made things a heck of a lot easier elsewhere. But on the flipside, I don't think it's worth it to hire most of those generals early on :lol:

I haven't done a military drill in quite a while. For better or worse, I still have to use my best 40-60 gang to reliably auto clear the newest province quests. What will probably end up happening there is I will let my casters and ranged types get to 60, then put them exclusively in military drills to get their equipment levelled up. It's slow but makes sense to me...

As far as Annihilation goes, since a lot of players just above me there seem to have cavalry-heavy teams, my current line-up plus the swampy battlefield has me dipping my toes in the 40-60% range. Potentially getting 1600 gold feels nice. But I still pull up battles just to find some level 80 turd is spearheading the team which, unless it's a caster, spells instant doom for my very squishy team.

Current line-up - Cao Cao, Zhou Yu, Li Dian, Yu Jin, Xun You...I think I will swap Zhou Yu for Guo Jia after this week as I don't have even decent equipment for Zhou Yu and he is such a jack of all trades, master of none type

Edit: It's a kind of funny conundrum to me, the differences in how different types level up.

Melee - Equipment levels are no problem, but level up more slowly.
Casters - Constant spells means they level up fast, but their equipment (specifically armor) levels lag.
Ranged - Worst of both worlds :lol:
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:13 am

I've got a question about scrolls today. Does it make any difference whether I use them when the character is low level? Or does it not matter? I've been saving my vouchers and scrolls for an event, but I want to improve my characters at some point, too :(

Also I am learning a valuable lesson right now, don't start doing the daily reward assignments if you are logged in before midnight, log out first and log back in again. :?
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:36 am

It doesn't make any difference when you use scrolls on your characters, unlike the Fruits from the original PC version. Using them at level 99 has the same effect as using them at level 10.

There are diminishing returns on stats once you start going over 110, so keep that in mind.
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:13 am

Thanks for the info.

Are there any generally recommended strategies for using them? Like, as a straightforward example, would giving a catapult a bunch of agility scrolls to boost agility (and accuracy) be more beneficial, or is that a lost cause and it's better to focus on raising strength so you just hit real hard?

I'm also curious about diminishing returns, do you mean that the relevant gains decrease after hitting 110 in a stat, or just that your gains won't have as much of an impact in battle beyond that point? I'm guessing it's the former, but doesn't hurt to ask.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:56 pm

It's the former for diminishing returns. You can check this out in the training menu by trying to train a character over 110 and watching how fast the relevant stat increases. If you give Xiahou Dun Strength boosts, his ATK stat will increase 2-3 points for each boost up until you hit 110, then past there it'll take 2-3 points of Strength boosting to raise his ATK by 1 point. He's still getting stronger, it's just not as efficient.

I want to give a non-straightforward answer to your straightforward question. ;) If I was actively using Catapult units, I'd not be giving them much Agility because I'd be using a Catapult like Xin Ping or Jin Xuan who has the "Attacks Always Hit" passive skill, making Agility much less important. But that's not quite what you were asking, so here's a general answer.

Units that make physical attacks should be focusing on boosting their Strength and Agility scores so they do more damage, hit more often, and dodge more often. Spellcaster units should be focusing on their Intelligence scores to increase the effectiveness of their tactics. Offensive spellcasters should also focus on Luck, as it affects the accuracy of their tactics (healing spells always hit, so it's not as important for Geomancers). Agility will help spellcasters dodge, too, but since they aren't making melee attacks half of its effect is wasted on them. Technically, almost everyone can use Command for their defense score, though it's especially important for melee characters who get down and dirty. The only characters who can get away without boosting Command and gain nothing from it are ones like Sima Yi and Chen Qun, who have the "Wisdom to Defense" passive. And on that note, while Luck can also boost your critical hit rate and reduce your enemy's, there are some characters who benefit from deliberately keeping a low Luck score. Characters who have a Critical Immunity passive or who equip an item with that similar effect want to have lower Luck and thus incur more critical hits, which they'll then be immune to and shrug off. Hao Zhao, Deng Ai, Chen Qun and others can all benefit from giving their opponents more critical hits, and thus shouldn't be investing in their Luck. Li Ming, the Tiger unit from Zhao Yun's banner, has a very low innate Luck, so she's a great candidate for one of those Critical Immunity items if you happen to find one.
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:24 am

Thanks for the breakdown. I'll have to put a lot more thought into it - I don't even have a relatively "permanent" set of officers for Annihilation yet so it's probably better to hold on to my scrolls for now. I finally got a different kind of 6* artifact today, just a healing booster book. Lack of good armor still, and good Annihilation artifacts in general, make it difficult to settle on anyone.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:27 am

When you lack artifacts to help you choose a character, you should look at the characters who don't need artifacts to be strong. Characters with strong passive skills, like Leading/Chain Attack and Double Tactics and Good From Evil and the like. I'll run down some names of characters, though you likely don't have access to all of them yet.

Liu Bei
Hao Zhao
Diaochan
Cai Yan
Zhang Jiao
Pang Tong
Tian Feng
Dad
Yu Jin
Lu Bu
Zhang Fei
Deng Ai

All of those characters have various passives available that can help set them above and beyond regardless of their artifacts. Sometimes there's better options available once artifacts get factored in (hello, Zhuge Liang), but often the addition of artifacts to solid base options like the above simply make them stronger.
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games