Cao Pi's autobiography

Best threads of the SGYYS, for your viewing pleasure.

Unread postby evizaer » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:23 am

I love reading the writings of the famous generals and scholars of the 3 Kingdoms period. Even in the limited commentary that Cao Cao did on the art of war, if ound it very interesting to see how the man thought and get a better feel for what he was like.

This Cao Pi boast-a-thon was a fun read. Thanks for posting it, Lady Wu. :)
evizaer
Student

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:46 am

You guys are most welcome. :D

I really like reading first-hand accounts. They tell you so much more about how people thought and felt, and why they did the things they did, than the more "objective" sources.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Wo Long » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:05 pm

Wow, that was awesome. I have a new found respect for Cao Pi, and even more respect for Cao Cao about being a parent(as you made note of in the first page of this thread).
Me Blog.
Restore the Ming Dynasty in Beijing!
Wo Long
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TheRealWolfman » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:14 am

That is really intresting, it shows me that he wasn't a pompous jerk like in DW5, unless i read wrong. He did seem to think he was unbeatable at times but he knew that he did have weaknesses. He seemed to be a perfectionist and he always wanted to improve his skills with a sword since he mastered the bow.
TheRealWolfman
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Wo Long » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:01 pm

TheRealWolfman wrote:That is really intresting, it shows me that he wasn't a pompous jerk like in DW5, unless i read wrong. He did seem to think he was unbeatable at times but he knew that he did have weaknesses. He seemed to be a perfectionist and he always wanted to improve his skills with a sword since he mastered the bow.

Don't ever listen to Dynasty Warriors since they are wrong pretty much 99% of the time. And I don't think he thought he was unbeatable, but that he was simply confident in his abilities. He even stated that one of his past teachers could've beaten him easily.
Me Blog.
Restore the Ming Dynasty in Beijing!
Wo Long
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TheRealWolfman » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:29 pm

Wo Long wrote:
TheRealWolfman wrote:That is really intresting, it shows me that he wasn't a pompous jerk like in DW5, unless i read wrong. He did seem to think he was unbeatable at times but he knew that he did have weaknesses. He seemed to be a perfectionist and he always wanted to improve his skills with a sword since he mastered the bow.

Don't ever listen to Dynasty Warriors since they are wrong pretty much 99% of the time. And I don't think he thought he was unbeatable, but that he was simply confident in his abilities. He even stated that one of his past teachers could've beaten him easily.

Thats what i mean when he knew he had weakneses. I cant exactly remeber who he said would absolutly pound him to the ground, but he knew he could be beaten.

And i knew that DW isn't always right.
TheRealWolfman
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby siaoyeh » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:16 pm

Personally, I don't know much about Chao Pi and why he died of early age...
*~~

"All men are brothers,
like the seas throughout the world;
So why do winds and waves clash so fiercely everywhere? "-- Emperor Hirohito.

*~~
siaoyeh
Initiate

Cao Pi's autobiography

Unread postby Xian Xu » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:51 pm

Lady Wu, Thank you for posting this. It was great.

Lady Wu wrote:In the Dian Lun ... penned by Cao Pi (and which he sent an autographed copy of to Sun Quan :D)

LMAO :lol: That is hilarous.
Xian Xu
Scholar

Re: Cao Pi's autobiography

Unread postby hahaguy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:48 am

I think this not only shows another side of Cao Pi, it shows another side of Cao Cao as well. Comparing it with Liu Bei, I found a huge difference.

Cao Cao, despite being the villian, was a damn good father, bringing his sons along on his campaigns (even after Cao Ang and Cao Anmin died), making them learn the art of war first-hand. He ensured that his heirs were capable and laid foundations of Wei before he died. This is a huge contrast to Liu Bei.

Not for Liu Bei fans:
Although Liu Bei is portrayed as a hero, and a virtous man, he is a terrible father. Although he treated his generals well, I did not see him as a good father/ head of the house. He abandoned his family on occasions. Poor Zhao Yun has to go rescue his wife and his son (Although it did make Zhao Yun famous). After all the effort and hardwork by Zhao Yun, he just throws his son on the ground (We all know how vulnerable babies are!). This just makes him a TERRIBLE father! Not only that, he doesn't regard his family highly, with all the talk about family are like clothing and his generals are like his limbs. The fact that Liu Shan was a terrible ruler was either because he hit his head while he was young, or Liu Bei did not bring him up properly. Either way, it's Liu Bei's fault. Liu Bei did not lay the foundations of Shu before he died, leaving it all to Zhuge Liang.

I would much rather be the son of Cao Cao, the "villian" rather than Liu Bei, the "hero".
hahaguy
Student

Re: Cao Pi's autobiography

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:03 am

Liu Shan wasn't touch downed by Liu Bei historically and Shan was educated by the likes of Yin Mo, famed scholars of their day. As for being left behind, Cao Cao did that to Cao Ang as well.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium Archives