Wei Yan

Best threads of the SGYYS, for your viewing pleasure.

What do you think of Wei Yan?

Traitor to the Kingdom of Shu!
15%
Not particularly loyal or disloyal...
25%
Not sure what I think (please explain)
5%
Wei Yan was loyal to the Shu Flag!
55%

Total votes : 274

Wei Yan

Unread postby LittleConqueror » Thu Jul 25, 2002 3:36 pm

What is your opinon on Wei Yan? I think of him as a loyal guy to Liu Bei who had great skill who was doomed to die because he didn't like Zhuge Liang and vice-versa. I personally hate it when people call him a traitor, for he was not a traitor.
"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"
LittleConqueror
Scholar

Unread postby Shizumeru » Thu Jul 25, 2002 4:58 pm

I agree with you. Wei Yan is no traitor. Although I am a Wei supporter, I like Wei Yan. He was a fine general and he was loyal to Liu Bei. I hate the way he died in SGYY, he didn't deserve it.
BOOM!!!!
Shizumeru
Langzhong

Unread postby Mega Zarak » Thu Jul 25, 2002 5:56 pm

Had Yang Yi not existed, Wei Yan might not be labelled as a traitor by so many people. :(
Mega Zarak
Grand Tutor of Wei

Unread postby Wei Yan » Thu Jul 25, 2002 6:33 pm

Wei Yan was great. Liu Bei recognized his abilities. He wasnt friendswith Zhuge Liang and Zhuge didnt like him. Wei Yan was not only a great warrior and troop leader, he was pretty smart. He presented many ideas to Zhuge and if Zhuge had accepted them, Shu wouldve had a better chance. He accuse Zhuge of attempting to kill him before. Wei Yan often outdone the "Great" Zhuge Liang, so I think it was jealousy that there was someone that could do something better than Zhuge Liang.
Wei Yan
Langzhong

Unread postby Pang Shiyuan » Thu Jul 25, 2002 9:52 pm

The bull**** about Wei Yan being a traitor in SGYY was LGZ's ploy of glorifying Zhuge Liang.

If Wei Yan really wanted to turn traitor, he would have returned to his base, Han Zhong, summoned an army and attempt to conquer Shu. He didn't.

Yang Yi is the true traitor of Shu, he (along with Jiang Wei) trumped up some false charges against Wei Yan in a bid to draw his power to themselves.

In history, Wei Yan didn't kill Han Xuan, and wasn't his officer anyway. All that crap about Zhuge Liang accusing Wei Yan of being insubordinate was LGZ's "creative" imagination gone haywire.
Pang Shiyuan
凤雏先生

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Tue Jul 30, 2002 9:56 am

I think Wei Yan got an unfair deal in SGYY. Even if he did kill Han Xuan, I think it was done for the right reasons, and he should be applauded for it. It doesn't show he was treacherous, but that he was saving a worthy general from a cruel master, that nobody liked anyway. Also, I think he wanted to continue fighting after the death of Kongming, and that's why he was killed. He also seemed to have a problem with authority, when he disobeyed orders during the attack on Yizhou which Huang Zhong had to rescue him. He probably should have been executed for that incedent, but Liu Bei's army couldn't afford the loss. I think he was a smart leader, but he just needed to learn how to follow orders and calm down, he would have been remembered better.
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Unread postby The Imperial General » Tue Jul 30, 2002 9:52 pm

My History is not too great, but didnt Wei Yan suggest to Zhuge to attack Chang An rather than follow zhuges plan, and in the end zhuge followed his own idea, failed and realised that Chang An could of been taken if he did follow wei yans advise? or somewhere along those lines
The Imperial General

Unread postby Pang Shiyuan » Wed Jul 31, 2002 6:25 am

The Imperial General wrote:My History is not too great, but didnt Wei Yan suggest to Zhuge to attack Chang An rather than follow zhuges plan, and in the end zhuge followed his own idea, failed and realised that Chang An could of been taken if he did follow wei yans advise? or somewhere along those lines

Yup. Wei Yan's plans for the Northern Campaign were more feasible than Zhuge's historically.
Pang Shiyuan
凤雏先生

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Wed Jul 31, 2002 6:27 am

Too bad he went about suggesting them the wrong way...
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Unread postby Han Xin » Wed Jul 31, 2002 1:09 pm

Iznoach, Legendary Dragon wrote:Too bad he went about suggesting them the wrong way...

What do you mean the wrong way? Wei Yan disagreed with Zhuge Liang's northern campiagns via QiShan, however, it was never recorded that he spoke out of order during discussion with other officers or blatantly disrespecting of Zhuge Liang. If voicing your opinion is going the wrong way, then please tell me how Wei Yan suppose to go about it? Do he have to send bribes like gold or women to Zhuge Liang's palace to convince him?
Han Xin's past-time - 沉湎於酒, 淫於聲色, 左手擁華姬,右手抱越女:lol:
Han Xin
Shu Emperor

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium Archives