Who is stronger, Wu or Shu?

Best threads of the SGYYS, for your viewing pleasure.

Re: Who is stronger, Wu or Shu?

Unread postby Cao Chao » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:41 pm

ROTKobsessed wrote:
mrbeate wrote:Not to mention Xu Huang's order were just to repel Guan Yu. Xu Huang just had an army of recruits who would have possible deserted or rebelled if put into the field too long. And yes, his inferior numbers were not enough to go on besieging cities. It is pretty obvious that to besiege a city, you must have superior numbers then the defense, and enough men to surround the city. Xu Huang did not have this.

In the novel, I think Zhuge Liang (or LGZ putting words in his mouth) estimated that the attacking force needed 3x the defending force to launch a successful seige

Are you sure this isn't from playing too much Civilization?
曹操曰:宁教我负天下人,休教天下人负我!
Cao Chao
Langzhong

Unread postby ROTKobsessed » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:10 am

Cao Chao wrote:
ROTKobsessed wrote:
mrbeate wrote:Not to mention Xu Huang's order were just to repel Guan Yu. Xu Huang just had an army of recruits who would have possible deserted or rebelled if put into the field too long. And yes, his inferior numbers were not enough to go on besieging cities. It is pretty obvious that to besiege a city, you must have superior numbers then the defense, and enough men to surround the city. Xu Huang did not have this.

In the novel, I think Zhuge Liang (or LGZ putting words in his mouth) estimated that the attacking force needed 3x the defending force to launch a successful seige

Are you sure this isn't from playing too much Civilization?

I've never played it, sorry - I just recall the quote
'Never was anything great achieved without danger.' - Niccolo Machiavelli
ROTKobsessed
Academic

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:03 pm

Actually Xu Huang's forces were initially an army of recruits. After arriving and setting up camp he was reinforced twice before actually attacking. Thus we have no idea how numerous or strong his force was by the time he actually started fighting.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium Archives