Translation of RoTK names?

Best threads of the SGYYS, for your viewing pleasure.

Translation of RoTK names?

Unread postby Houkatori » Sat Feb 01, 2003 8:54 am

I just ordered a copy of RoTK, and have been doing some research in the meantime. I was just curious if there is someplace with a translation of the names of all the major characters in the book. I think I found the hanzi(?)/kanji for characters such as Liu Bei and have done some VERY rough translations, but I'd much appreciate an official, experienced source for their English meanings. If this is contained in the book, please let me know as well. Thanks a bunch!
Houkatori
Tyro

Unread postby Sam » Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:48 pm

Here is a link to where you can buy the translated novel: @amazon.com
You can also read the novel online at: www.threekingdoms.com
And finally, you can read translated SGZ bios at: http://kongming.net/novel/bios/
SGYY: The novel. Around 70% is true history, while 30% is fiction made up by LGZ.
SGZ: 100% True history.
Otherwise known as Wang Ping (Zijun)
Sam
Sweeper of Invaders

Unread postby Erdrick » Sat Feb 01, 2003 1:58 pm

Wang Zijun wrote:Here is a link to where you can buy the translated novel: @amazon.com
You can also read the novel online at: www.threekingdoms.com
And finally, you can read translated SGZ bios at: http://kongming.net/novel/bios/
SGYY: The novel. Around 70% is true history, while 30% is fiction made up by LGZ.
SGZ: 100% True history.

I would disagree with SGZ=100% true history; this was written by a person with loyalties, as told by people with other loyalties and memory glitches... Heck, you know how seven different witnesses to one incident will remember different things, some of which contradict each other. (Looking through various SGZ bios also opens up this.) So, its historical, but probably closer to 90-95%. It was intended to be 100%, likely, but remember, history is written by the victors. Also, scholars got killed alot for annoying the rulers, so if you cast them or their ancestors, (people whom helped found the kingdom, etc...) in a negative light, you would likely by killed, so some careful omissions might have occured.

In any event, SGYY (is always commented on as)- 70% fact, 30% fiction
SGZ- 100% History - (but with biases of the times and possible changes)
Erdrick
Sage

Unread postby Sam » Sat Feb 01, 2003 3:20 pm

Erdrick wrote:I would disagree with SGZ=100% true history; this was written by a person with loyalties, as told by people with other loyalties and memory glitches... Heck, you know how seven different witnesses to one incident will remember different things, some of which contradict each other. (Looking through various SGZ bios also opens up this.) So, its historical, but probably closer to 90-95%. It was intended to be 100%, likely, but remember, history is written by the victors. Also, scholars got killed alot for annoying the rulers, so if you cast them or their ancestors, (people whom helped found the kingdom, etc...) in a negative light, you would likely by killed, so some careful omissions might have occured.

In any event, SGYY (is always commented on as)- 70% fact, 30% fiction
SGZ- 100% History - (but with biases of the times and possible changes)

Exactly, but it is for the reader of those specific SGZ sources to decide for himself which of the several sources he believes. A prime example of this would be the events of Chi Bi. The true historical events at Chi Bi may never be known, but it is up for the individual in question to decide which of those sources he believes is most reliable.
Sam
Sweeper of Invaders

Unread postby Houkatori » Sun Feb 02, 2003 5:07 am

All very interesting info :) but I was mostly looking for translations of the meanings of the actual names of the different characters. But interesting stuff nonetheless
Houkatori
Tyro

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Feb 02, 2003 6:50 am

Ok, I'll kick this off, and I'll start with the easy ones. The surname comes first in Chinese tradition, and often has no meaning. So I'll just give the meanings of the given names.

Liu Bei: Bei = 'prepared'
Zhuge Liang: Liang = 'bright'
Pang Tong: Tong = 'unity'
Zhao Yun: Yun = 'cloud'
Guan Yu: Yu = 'feather' (different than the one in Zhou Yu)
Zhang Fei: Fei = 'to fly'
Ma Liang: Liang = 'excellence' (different than the one in Zhuge Liang)
Wei Yan: Yan = 'to extend'

Cao Cao: Cao (the second one) = 'virtuous conduct'
Cao Pi: Pi = 'greatness'
Xiahou Yuan: Yuan ='deep ravine'
Xiahou Dun: Dun = 'sincere'
Zhang Liao: Liao = 'distant'
Sima Yi: Yi = 'virtuous'
Wang Lang: Lang = 'brilliance'
Cheng Yu: Yu = 'sunlight'
Xun Yu: Yu = 'having literary flair'

Sun Jian: Jian = 'firm'
Zhou Yu: Yu = 'beautiful jade'
Sun Quan: Quan = 'power'
Lü Meng : Meng = 'to cover, obscure'
Lu Su: Su = 'solemn'
Gan Ning: Ning = 'tranquil'
Zhang Zhao: Zhao = 'open, bright'
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Houkatori » Sun Feb 02, 2003 7:46 am

Wow, thanks a bunch! Just what I'm looking for. If anyone has more, please feel free to continue =) Also if you know their style name meanings that would be much appreciated as well (Zhuge Liang is Sleeping Dragon I believe?)
Houkatori
Tyro

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Feb 02, 2003 7:54 am

Houkatori wrote:Wow, thanks a bunch! Just what I'm looking for. If anyone has more, please feel free to continue =) Also if you know their style name meanings that would be much appreciated as well (Zhuge Liang is Sleeping Dragon I believe?)

You're welcome! :D For a discussion on style names, check this out: http://www.the-scholars.com/viewtopic.php?t=2520 .
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Feb 02, 2003 8:13 am

Ok here are some more -- names that members at SoSZ are using:

Dian Wei: Wei = 'hide, leather'
Taishi Ci: Ci = 'kindness'
Cao Ren: Ren = 'humane'
Lu Xun: Xun = 'inferior'
Guan Ping: Ping = 'flat, peaceful, normal'
Zhou Tai: Tai = 'secure, peaceful'
Sun Ce: Ce = 'a symbol of power, strategy'
Xiahou Mao: Mao = 'splendid, great'
Cao Zhi: Zhi = 'to plant, establish'
Guan Suo: Suo = 'to seek, to tie up'
Ma Chao: Chao = 'exceptional'
Dong Zhuo: Zhuo = 'surpassing'
Zhang He: He = I don't know... I only know it as a place name, and I can't find it in the dictionary. Anyone?
Lady Wu

Unread postby Sam » Sun Feb 02, 2003 10:05 am

Ah, I misunderstood your topic. I had the impression that you had ordered a version of SGYY in which they didn't use names such as Liu Bei, Zhuge Liang, Sun Jian, Cao Cao etc. But Lady Wu has now given the information you actually wanted :lol:
Sam
Sweeper of Invaders

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium Archives