Romance of the Three Kingdoms (SGYY) Purchase and Book Info

Best threads of the SGYYS, for your viewing pleasure.

Unread postby Lady Wu » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:42 am

robbyjo wrote:I just got my hard cover-library binding Moss-Roberts translation of SGYY.... Oh I'm so happy! :D I'm really satisfied. It's really worth every penny. The only minor qualm would be the amount of typos. They could use better editing.

I'm waiting for a hard-cover, library-binding bilingual edition with the *edited* Moss Roberts text (like the new paperback version). :) I'm glad you're enjoying your copy, though.

What I'm happy with is that it also have a Chinese counterpart on the left side. One question would be: Is this Chinese style be on par with (in terms of difficulty to translate) SGZ? If so, I would consider this as translation-learning experience....

The Chinese style in SGYY is a mix. Perhaps half of the "7 parts history" are direct cut and paste (maybe with a different word here and there) from SGZ and thus retain the standard literary style (i.e. Han dynasty Classical Chinese). Most of the fictional dialogue is in colloquial Yuan dynasty Chinese, which is considered Early Mandarin (Modern?) Chinese. EMC is quite close to Modern Mandarin in terms of grammar/sentence structure. The rest of the novel is in Yuan dynasty literary style, which is probably half-way in between Han Chinese and Yuan colloquial Chinese.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby ZhenJi_fan » Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:11 pm

I bought the expensive Library Binding. Thank you for the info.

The thing is that i also bought the cheapr version...
Click here.

I think i will send it back...it pointless to have 2 versions :?

ohoh.. i also have to versions of Art of War. I have the dutch version w/ original chinese texts, and i have the black dragon(?) version.
hello...
ZhenJi_fan
Tyro

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:04 pm

ZhenJi_fan wrote:I think i will send it back...it pointless to have 2 versions :?

Don't ever say such a thing... I have three versions and counting, plus two Tao Te Chings and two Art of Wars.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Six_and_Up » Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:31 am

Does anyone know where I could find a bookstore in Australia that has the Moss Roberts translation of SGYY? Otherwise I'm stuck with the Brewitt-Talyor version or ordering the Roberts version online. I'd get the Brewitt-Talyor version but i prefer a translation to have notes and references that the Roberts version has.

Edit: its all good, I found a moss roberts version in Australia.
Currently playing: Dragon Quest VIII
Six_and_Up
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby killer-san » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:44 am

Does anyone know where I could find a bookstore in London that has the Moss Roberts translation of SGYY?
<---------- The greatest game ever!!!!
killer-san
Assistant

Unread postby killer-san » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:02 pm

Is the 3-volume Hardcover set, Unabriged, translated by Moss Roberts good??
It has "only" about 1600 pages...why?? The 4 set has 2340 pages...
<---------- The greatest game ever!!!!
killer-san
Assistant

Unread postby Kong Wen » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:34 pm

killer-san wrote:Is the 3-volume Hardcover set, Unabriged, translated by Moss Roberts good??
It has "only" about 1600 pages...why?? The 4 set has 2340 pages...

That sounds like it should be the unabridged version. The only reason I could think the page count would be lower is that perhaps the pages are bigger, and perhaps there is less introductory material, afterword material, or notes, etc. But Moss Roberts's abridged version is only around 500 pages or so, so the hardcover set sounds way too long to be that.
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Husky Sam-Sam » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:11 am

Hi all. I was wondering..did they make it in other languages translation..?
Anyone ever saw a French / Spanish / Deutch version? hehe thx.
Husky Sam-Sam
Apprentice

Unread postby Kong Wen » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:32 am

Husky Sam-Sam wrote:Hi all. I was wondering..did they make it in other languages translation..?
Anyone ever saw a French / Spanish / Deutch version? hehe thx.

I know there have been translations into many other languages, including French, Russian, and others.

I posted a link to a place where French editons can be bought, in <<This Thread>>, if you're interested in taking a look at them.
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Husky Sam-Sam » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:23 pm

Wow! hehe, thx alot Kong Wen, it is vere appreciated. It's very nice also that you all tried and help that guy on that thread.

French is my main language as im french canadian. I ''think'' im not that bad in english hehe, few typos(?) maybe tho hehe. Ill have to read few english editions mentioned in this thread, as i guess it would be more accurate. (translations / facts) Well, maybe it depends on the translator himself? hehe. Anyway, I see this, like for movies, i know all movies are better in their Original version..however, it makes the flow easier in your mother toungue..maybe sounds lazy, but bit less work..in the way you can focus on the content without thinking (did i get it all?) hehe. I wish i could understand/read chineese..where id try and get the best (most original) version.

Also, if whenever there's some french/english probs and vice versa, i would gladly accept to help anyone with what i can.

Thx again, Sam.
Husky Sam-Sam
Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium Archives